How to change directory or file permission in DirectAdmin?
Permissions is a very important concept, and it allows you to allow/disallow access to the directory or files securely. First, let us learn more about permissions and how it works.
There are three types of permissions Read, Write, Execute. Permissions are also indicated by numbers.
Read (4): These permissions give the reading ability to the assigned users.
Write (2): The user who has to write permission can write/update the directory or files.
Execute (1): The execute permissions give the ability to execute the files or directories.
Above permissions are designated to further 3 types of user groups User, Group, World/Public.
User: This is the owner of File or Directory.
Group: The users who share the same group.
World/Public: This includes everyone who is not a user nor included in any group.
For further better understanding, check the below image,
Let’s learn, How to change directory or file permission in DirectAdmin?
1. First, to login into DirectAdmin control panel visit,
https://your-domain.com:2222 or https://IP-address:2222 or https://server-hostname:2222.
2. Navigate to System Info & Files → File Manager.
3. Right-click on the Directory → Click on Set Permissions.
4. Select the required permissions or you can enter it in numerical format.
5. If you want to apply new permissions to all the files, directories under the selected directory → Check the option Recursive.
6. Finally, click on SAVE.
7. Congratulations! You have successfully changed permission for the directory. Using the same method, you can change the permission of files as well.
Now that we’ve gone over how to change directory or file permission in the DirectAdmin control panel. Moreover, we also learned about permissions and how permissions work by taking one example.
KnownHost offers 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, all 7 days of the week best in class technical support. A dedicated team ready to help you should you need our assistance. You’re not using KnownHost for the best webhosting experience? Well, why not? Check with our Sales team to see what can KnownHost do for you in improving your webhosting experience.