Exciting Changes at KnownHost & cPanel Pricing

Do you offer DA licenses for the unmanaged VPS plans?

Yes. Open up a sales or billing ticket requesting me. Haven't activated it on the order form until I can get a chance to test their IP-based licensing (which they added by my request). Once I verify that works it will be an option on the order form but for now I can add it for you post-order if you like.

looking forward to the new offerings, been with you guys for a few years now i have to say no other hosting company i have been with comes close.............i have never used DA before its been cpanel for a long time so i will take the plunge as well.

I'm on a legacy VPS-2 package (cause I'm super-paranoid about bandwidth use, even though I don't come close to touching my limits). Would I lose my legacy VPS-2 package (along with it's higher bandwidth limit) if I migrate?

Thanks!

Hello, since many years I have a VPS-2 package with cPanel. When I go to my configurable options I have this:

crop_knownhost.jpg

1) What will happen after November 1st? Will I have to pay $6 more every month over my actual billing cycle? $11 monthly for my cPanel license?
2) If I migrate for free to DirectAdmin, how much I am going to pay monthly for DirectAdmin Control Panel ?

Thanks.

If I want to change my package should I do it before, or after, migrating to DA?

It doesn't matter. When changing packages the cost is pro-rated so you'll end up basically the same.

I'm on a legacy VPS-2 package (cause I'm super-paranoid about bandwidth use, even though I don't come close to touching my limits). Would I lose my legacy VPS-2 package (along with it's higher bandwidth limit) if I migrate?

Thanks!

Nope, we're letting people keep legacy plans if they want to migrate to DA so you can keep it.

Hello, since many years I have a VPS-2 package with cPanel. When I go to my configurable options I have this:

View attachment 586

1) What will happen after November 1st? Will I have to pay $6 more every month over my actual billing cycle? $11 monthly for my cPanel license?
2) If I migrate for free to DirectAdmin, how much I am going to pay monthly for DirectAdmin Control Panel ?

Thanks.

1) This item will go up to $11.00 instead of $5.00 ($6.00 increase).
2) $5.00 (the same as now, your total bill will not change).

First of all, thanks to everyone at KnownHost for all the information and for being so forthcoming with everything. I'll be frank: I've been with some of the very worst providers (still have to hold back naming them because one of them destroyed hundreds of MB of round-the-world travel memories - long story), and I can say that KnownHost is the very best I've seen and I am proud to trust them with my (admittedly small) site. :)

Second, screw CPanel and the VC which has ruined it - I'm in Australia so the USD72/year increase will be at least $100/yr. and as a small/growing business owner I need to save money. I'm definitely looking at migrating to DA - I'm no Linux superuser so as long as my site's SSL certificates are intact and my other options are more or less there I'm good to go. A couple of quick questions (sorry if they've already been answered but I have 23 things on my mind at any given time :rolleyes:):
  1. My sites (I have a couple of friends with accounts on my managed VPS) rely on the latest stable PHP which auto-updates; I assume this will remain in place?
  2. My sites also rely on MariaDB/ISAM database structures, which I assume is fully supported by DA? CPanel takes care of incremental updates so can I assume that will continue?
  3. Do I understand correctly that if I want to keep my existing VPS setup with IPs, etc., that there will be a bit more downtime depending on the size of my site(s) (which actually isn't much)?

Thank you in advance for being so patient with my n00b questions - you people are great (nothing in Australia even remotely compares) and It's great to see a company taking such good care of its clients.

Oh...did I mention "screw CPanel"? :D

1. My sites (I have a couple of friends with accounts on my managed VPS) rely on the latest stable PHP which auto-updates; I assume this will remain in place?
  2. My sites also rely on MariaDB/ISAM database structures, which I assume is fully supported by DA? CPanel takes care of incremental updates so can I assume that will continue?
  3. Do I understand correctly that if I want to keep my existing VPS setup with IPs, etc., that there will be a bit more downtime depending on the size of my site(s) (which actually isn't much)?

Howdy,

1) Absolutely, you get the same PHP version choices and updates.

2) DA supports MySQL or MariaDB same as cPanel

3) That's correct. Basically what has to happen is cPanel account level backups have to be taken and downloaded. We then wipe your VPS and reinstall it with DirectAdmin, we then re-upload those backups and import them into DA.

The biggest downside to this approach is there is no going back. If we provision a new VPS we migrate the data, you have time to test the websites prior to making them live, we can then make any necessary adjustments, then swap DNS to bring em up.

Any more questions do let us know.

Thanks

I made the migration from cPanel to Direct Admin for my VPS and everything went very smoothly. I had one client with a problem with email, and one client that had a index.html page in their home directory that displayed as their home page instead of what WordPress had as the home page.
Somewhere there's a setting for the precedence of index files and I had cPanel set to display index.php files first, so this little "time bomb" would have happened with any site move to a new server.

Overall, I'm once again impressed with the level of service with KH.

I made the migration from cPanel to Direct Admin for my VPS and everything went very smoothly. I had one client with a problem with email, and one client that had a index.html page in their home directory that displayed as their home page instead of what WordPress had as the home page.
Somewhere there's a setting for the precedence of index files and I had cPanel set to display index.php files first, so this little "time bomb" would have happened with any site move to a new server.

Overall, I'm once again impressed with the level of service with KH.

Frank,

Thanks for the feedback we do appreciate it. We do our best to catch these things before hand but as you're aware there's a lot of moving parts going on. I'm glad we were able to get them quickly resolved for you.

If you ever need anything as always please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

I pay annually and will not gat an invoice until January (if I remember correctly).

1, If I stay with cPanel will I be charged the extra cPanel fee in November, or will it wait until my account is invoiced?
2. How long do we have to decide to migrate and still get free migration?

I have used cPanel (and only cPanel) for 14 years so I'm a bit uneasy about switching to DA.

I pay annually and will not gat an invoice until January (if I remember correctly).

1, If I stay with cPanel will I be charged the extra cPanel fee in November, or will it wait until my account is invoiced?
2. How long do we have to decide to migrate and still get free migration?

I have used cPanel (and only cPanel) for 14 years so I'm a bit uneasy about switching to DA.

It would be on your next invoice in January.

We will be supporting free migrations from cPanel>DA indefinitely. We'll have the systems and procedures in place to handle the billing-side of it seamlessly (no extra charges/prorations/etc. at all) through the end of the year. After that you'd have to buy a new VPS, we'll do the migration for free, then get a pro-rated credit for the cancellation of the old VPS.

How will the migration affect my backups that run daily? If the migration is done during, or a cron job will that cause problems? I have several sites that are set to backup databases daily. Should I suspend all daily SQL backups until the migration is complete?

How will the migration affect my backups that run daily? If the migration is done during, or a cron job will that cause problems? I have several sites that are set to backup databases daily. Should I suspend all daily SQL backups until the migration is complete?

You don't have to stop anything, just continue business as normal. We'll let you know if there will need to be any interruptions.

So far, here's my experience with the migration:

Relatively smooth. Here were the problems:

1. use_ssl was not enabled in DirectAdmin. Many of the SSL certs were failing and reverting to self-signed certs. The process to correct it was to enter each DA User, make sure the DNS settings were correct with A records for mail, pop and smtp, then change the TTL settings to 600. Wait a few minutes and then re-create the SSL certs using Let's Encrypt, checking off the domain, www, mail, pop and stmp.
2. Email issues - Apple and Outlook users are having a heck of a time connecting again. Working with them one by one to get it sorted.
3. Evidently, there is no way for DirectAdmin to change an email user's password from the control panel. While DA is pretty simple for what's there, I'm finding trying to reset the email account password definitely a problem. You can't even do it from the Users DA panel. The DA knowledge base has an article from way back with an old plugin to manage email passwords. Really? Can't believe that's the only way.

KH support is doing fine with all of these issues, of course, with their usual quick support. But I wanted to pass along the things to check (each account's DNS and SSL cert), and to be prepared for email issues.

#2 should be helped a lot by new DA defaults that will turn on mail SNI by default. Not sure if you were on a version that did this at the time.

I'll look into #1. It sounds especially odd.

3. Evidently, there is no way for DirectAdmin to change an email user's password from the control panel. While DA is pretty simple for what's there, I'm finding trying to reset the email account password definitely a problem. You can't even do it from the Users DA panel. The DA knowledge base has an article from way back with an old plugin to manage email passwords. Really? Can't believe that's the only way.

Hey Frank.

This should be able to be done under the individual user > Email Accounts.

On the far right is a row of "+" icons and when clicked provide the pop out menu for "Change Password" and "Download Outlook Configuration"

I've attached a screenshot.
Screenshot_2019-10-15_06-13-47.png