CA to WA Datacenter Migration

My problem: its a good newsportal. Now in Hostgator...if any missing happened?...any downtime means huge loss...

Do you want WA in particular? We also have TX and NJ locations.

Must admit I have concerns as our forum has members frequently updating data.

This will be no different than migrations from one node to another within the same DC, which are more common than you think when we do back-end maintenance, etc. Virtuozzo's online migrations are proven and reliable.

Dear Valued Customer,

We are excited to announce an upgrade in services for our West Coast customers. We will be performing upgrades on the underlying VPS infrastructure to ensure that all of our equipment and our networks stay up to date with the latest hardware and technology to guarantee the best user experience possible for our valued customers. This includes upgrading back end servers powering our VPS systems, upgrades to our network infrastructure equipment, power distribution equipment and our network connectivity.

To achieve these goals this will include a relocation of our customers from our facility in CA to our newly outfitted facility in WA. This transition allows us to provide our customers with a much broader mix of bandwidth ensuring stable and fast connections each and every time.

The mix of bandwidth includes direct connections to multiple Tier I providers such as Level3, NTT and TATA Communications. As well as Tier II networks such as Spectrum Networks and the Seattle Internet Exchange. The SIX provides more peering options and sometimes direct peering to a number of large networks located in the region including well known brands such as Microsoft, Google, Amazon.com, Yahoo, Inc and many more.

By now you're probably asking how this is going to impact you, as a customer. The simple answer is you won't notice a thing. We will be live migrating our customers to the equipment located in our facility in WA. In performing the migration this way you will not experience any downtime or service interruption. There will be no IP addresses to change, and your entire file system with all configuration files, settings and websites will be copied over without any risk of data loss.

This upgrade is scheduled to take place starting Monday, October 21st. We will be unable to give you a specific time or date when your particular VPS will be moved as this is a live migration and one VPS may take longer than another however rest assured our dedicated Systems Administrators will monitor this process to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Sincerely
KnownHost, LLC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear sir:
we in the Taiwan, we connect to CA is more faster than WA, if you migration to WA, what will be happen with our vps, if u do this process, it will be cuase we can't use our vps on October 21st?
cause it will be important, all of the customers need to keep the website run well, it will effect everything in that date?
please make sure keep the vps run well, thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear sir:
we in the Taiwan, we connect to CA is more faster than WA, if you migration to WA, what will be happen with our vps, if u do this process, it will be cuase we can't use our vps on October 21st?
cause it will be important, all of the customers need to keep the website run well, it will effect everything in that date?
please make sure keep the vps run well, thank you!

peterlin,

You will have no downtime because of the move. I just did a ping test using super-ping.com and the ping from Hong Kong to WA is around 150ms, while the ping from Hong Kong to CA is around 190ms so you will likely see an increase in speed :)

peterlin,

You will have no downtime because of the move. I just did a ping test using super-ping.com and the ping from Hong Kong to WA is around 150ms, while the ping from Hong Kong to CA is around 190ms so you will likely see an increase in speed :)
===================================================
dear sir:
you mean that migration will not effect anything in our website, and will keep vps still run well?
by the way, i live in taiwan, is nearly to Hong Kong , if u ping the speed is increase , that will be ok, thank you!

===================================================
dear sir:
you mean that migration will not effect anything in our website, and will keep vps still run well?
by the way, i live in taiwan, is nearly to Hong Kong , if u ping the speed is increase , that will be ok, thank you!

That's correct, the VPS will keep running and this will not effect anything you have running.

That's correct, the VPS will keep running and this will not effect anything you have running.
======================================================
dear sir:
cause our country Taiwan to "CA" is shorter distance to "WA", why the response time in "WA" is faster than "CA". could you tell me, thank you!

The new WA datacenter has superior peering to the CA network. That's probably what's effecting a lot of it.

There are so many variables that I couldn't possibly list. Shorter geographical distance doesn't always mean faster. It's all about the fiber.

The new WA datacenter has superior peering to the CA network. That's probably what's effecting a lot of it.

There are so many variables that I couldn't possibly list. Shorter geographical distance doesn't always mean faster. It's all about the fiber.
=================================
dear sir:
i got it, thank you for your reply!

@peterlin

Just wanted to let you know, I just found a server I used to ping from in Taiwan directly.

Taiwan -> WA: 149.3ms
Taiwan -> CA: 214.6ms

Looks like WA is the clear winner for you :)

The good thing that IP addresses remains the same. Strange, that transferring VPS from CA to TX datacenter requires IP change while CA to WA doesn't. I don't want to change IP, but want to have SSD on my node, that is why I thought about migration to TX datacenter. I guess, it is because now you will transfer entire nodes, not the particular VPS. Anyway, I hope for SSD option soon in WA.

We are using vBulletin 5.0.2 on your VPS package. We are going to upgrade vBulletin to version 5.0.5
Please let me know if we can go ahead with the upgradation process or we should wait for one more week to start the upgrade?
Will you inform every customer when their VPS migration is complete? so that we will wait till we hear from you?
Please reply - this is very important.

In that case I think it is safe to wait until your VPS migration is complete and then we will upgrade the vBulletin version. How will I know when the migration of my VPS is complete? my domain name hosted on the KnownHost VPS package is evesbaatein.com

@Dongre

You are more than safe to upgrade Vbulletin the migration will not impact your ability to use the VPS at all.

As far as when you will know it's complete, if you login to your VZPP you can see if the server your on changes from -ca to -wa , it will be a slow and methodical process which is why we can't give you an exact time when your VPS will be migrated as we want to make sure each and every migration is successful.

So... safe to assume that we got moved a short while ago? Our site was down, a slew of services were dead (sshd included), but had PID files, etc.

I have at least one service that won't start -- apparently an issue with a 64 bit library. Odd, since I'm on a 32bit distro. Will have to look into that more when I'm not on my phone.

So... safe to assume that we got moved a short while ago? Our site was down, a slew of services were dead (sshd included), but had PID files, etc.

I have at least one service that won't start -- apparently an issue with a 64 bit library. Odd, since I'm on a 32bit distro. Will have to look into that more when I'm not on my phone.

I just verified in our system that your VPS has not been touched and is still sitting on it's node in CA so this is something completely unrelated. Have you opened a support ticket about the issue? It sounds a bit like OOM (out of memory). The OOM logs of your VPS are showing events from today, so I definitely think your issue is caused by running out of memory.

China user here.
CHINA TELECOM sucks!
Normally, the connection between user and KH server is China--USA, now it's China--England--USA. You have no idea how slow that is...

3 15 ms 10 ms 11 ms 118.114.236.65
4 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 171.208.202.185
5 44 ms 44 ms 47 ms 202.97.45.41
6 42 ms 42 ms 41 ms 202.97.33.230
7 43 ms 42 ms 43 ms 202.97.60.78
8 * * 349 ms 202.97.52.90
9 603 ms * * linx.london.opentransit.net [195.66.224.83]
10 593 ms 593 ms 603 ms tengige0-15-0-2.lontr1.London.opentransit.net [193.251.129.69]
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 572 ms 561 ms 555 ms tge11-1.fr4.lga.llnw.net [69.28.172.149]
13 578 ms * 574 ms tge1-2.fr4.ord.llnw.net [69.28.172.198]
14 583 ms * * tge1-3.fr4.sjc.llnw.net [69.28.172.77]
15 * 519 ms * 69.28.171.209
16 573 ms 594 ms 569 ms tge11-4.fr3.lax.llnw.net [69.28.172.53]
17 * 627 ms * 68.142.106.78
18 591 ms 610 ms 615 ms cr01-1-1.lax6.net2ez.com [72.172.64.46]
19 515 ms 517 ms 515 ms 72.172.66.38
20 516 ms 514 ms 514 ms vz21-ca.privatesystems.net [72.172.67.21]​

Please, migrate va21-ca as soon as you can. Please...please...please...

Seattle test ip works fine to me.

I've heard that several under sea fiber landing points in China are being repaired. This is most likely why you are seeing worse results. We are taking things slow but will try and get things done as quickly but safely as possible.