Exciting Changes at KnownHost & cPanel Pricing

I gather then that we will have to do a migration from the East Coast Data Center to Atlanta. Perhaps then we plan that conversion in sync to the move the Direct Admin. Do you have an idea as to when the migration to Atlanta will happen.

I gather then that we will have to do a migration from the East Coast Data Center to Atlanta. Perhaps then we plan that conversion in sync to the move the Direct Admin. Do you have an idea as to when the migration to Atlanta will happen.

Correct. The MVPS product line should not have any downtime as part of this though so I wouldn't worry about scheduling around it.

Baltimore to Atlanta migrations are slated to start in February 2020 and be completed by the end of March 2020.

Correct. The MVPS product line should not have any downtime as part of this though so I wouldn't worry about scheduling around it.

Baltimore to Atlanta migrations are slated to start in February 2020 and be completed by the end of March 2020.
I think I might have a bit of indigestion doing two migrations after the ones we just did. Something quirky usually comes up,

Yes the comparison chart is very good. Thank you. EasyApache does look superior from the demo but perhaps it is just part of a learning curve.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The migrations we'll be doing behind the scenes for MVPS (and other OpenVZ packages) will be pretty seamless and you shouldn't even really notice they're occurring. They're very similar to the internal migrations we do all the time for maintenance purposes except that it will be happening through a network tunnel instead of just inside the local network.

Custombuild is much more configurable than EasyApache, though EasyApache is much faster due to using RPMs.

Edit: To clarify, running EA is faster than Custombuild but the speed of your sites hosted on either platform will be basically the same as both are building the same thing for the most part.

When will the Dallas VPS Migrations to Atlanta occur? Is that the same time our port speeds will double?

My next invoice comes Dec the 12th, should I wait until then to open my ticket?

That's up to you. There's no point in doing that as far as we are concerned - we'll handle all of the billing stuff behind the scenes and billing will just proceed as usual even though behind the scenes we'll be migrating you to a new VPS, etc. There's no extra charges involved either way.

If your recommended method of migration to DirectAdmin requires an IP address change, then aren't we going to have a downtime due to the 72 hours propagation period because of the new IP address?

If your recommended method of migration to DirectAdmin requires an IP address change, then aren't we going to have a downtime due to the 72 hours propagation period because of the new IP address?

Generally speaking no, it doesn't mean downtime. Most DNS changes these days can occur within a few hours, but it is true, that some DNS servers still take a day or two to update. One of the key differences in this migration style is that you will have both the old server, and new server online at the same time. The website can be served from both depending on what IP is served by the DNS server.

We do recommend thou for forums or other dynamic sites, that once you change the DNS that you place them into a maintenance mode to prevent changes on the old server that might be lost when you transition to the new server.

Last I checked Texas' taxing authority clarified that hosting does not create tax nexus within their state. Does GA or WA offer that same tax nexus clarification. If not, this move not only affects data storage, but also tax liability for all your customers.

This has the potential of being a deal breaker for us. It would stink, because I absolutely LOVE the services you all provide and would like to stick with you all during this transition, but I am not sure we are ready to be liable for tax collection in multiple taxing jurisdictions.
--Jason

Last I checked Texas' taxing authority clarified that hosting does not create tax nexus within their state. Does GA or WA offer that same tax nexus clarification. If not, this move not only affects data storage, but also tax liability for all your customers.

This has the potential of being a deal breaker for us. It would stink, because I absolutely LOVE the services you all provide and would like to stick with you all during this transition, but I am not sure we are ready to be liable for tax collection in multiple taxing jurisdictions.
--Jason

As far as I'm aware Georgia is in the same boat as Texas in that regard. @KH-DanielP may have more insight.

I'm presuming that we will be given, say, 24 hours notice before the migration takes place in order to prepare the sites?

What about emails? I have some clients that use IMAP and others that use POP3 - will all emails be migrated as well?

One of the key differences in this migration style is that you will have both the old server, and new server online at the same time. The website can be served from both depending on what IP is served by the DNS server.

Meaning you will allow at least 72 hours before removing the old server at no additional cost from the start of the migration to DirectAdmin to ensure DNS propagation?

I'm presuming that we will be given, say, 24 hours notice before the migration takes place in order to prepare the sites?

What about emails? I have some clients that use IMAP and others that use POP3 - will all emails be migrated as well?

If you want to do 24 hours prior to your actual migration, you can do that. You'll be working with Billing who can initiate your migration request to Support whenever your ready. So, you would let them know you're interested in migrating. Advise them that you'll reply back in 24 hours when you're ready to begin, when you reply then they will initiate your request and only then that has happened will Support begin to perform any migration related work.

All email accounts will be migrated to the new server.

Meaning you will allow at least 72 hours before removing the old server at no additional cost from the start of the migration to DirectAdmin to ensure DNS propagation?

For those who are migrating, we are providing an equivalent VPS for up to seven days to perform your migration too.

The actual migration shouldn't take more than a few hours depending on the amount of data that you have. The more data you have the longer the migration can take.

This would give you roughly 6 days to have DNS propagate then be able to test and verify before you performed your final swap.

We recommend websites like https://www.whatsmydns.net/ to check the propagation status.

--Jason

Jason,

Thanks for your question. I'll quantify this with a typical IANAL but specifically as far as Washington state goes, we have had services there for the better part of 7 years now and I'm unaware of simply hosting a website in WA creating a tax nexus or presence.

The same holds true for GA. I am not however aware of any specific direct statement from those states citing as such. Texas is a unique use case, as it was one of the first states that full on taxed digital services, and they also attempted to extend taxes much further. This whole process caused quite a bit of back and forth with new rules and clarifications, which ended up in the direct clarification you are referencing.

I hope this helps.
Daniel~

Hi Guys,
Just to clarify the obvious in I may :D

On my reseller hosting account I will not see a price increase because KnownHost are going to take the hit rather than passing it on?
If so,
1. Guys, impressive, much obliged.
And since you are supporting me, the least I can do is return the favour so.
2. Where do I sign to change to DirectAdmin so these venture capitalist a**w*p*s never see another cent from me?

I am far from a power user, but what's right is right.

Hi Guys,
Just to clarify the obvious in I may :D

On my reseller hosting account I will not see a price increase because KnownHost are going to take the hit rather than passing it on?
If so,
1. Guys, impressive, much obliged.
And since you are supporting me, the least I can do is return the favour so.
2. Where do I sign to change to DirectAdmin so these venture capitalist a**w*p*s never see another cent from me?

I am far from a power user, but what's right is right.

We don't have any DA-based shared/reseller hosting yet but we're working on it!