Virtualization Platform Upgrade

sorry for the newb question, where is the client area ?

I have looked and looked and can't find the info on the name of my package to see if it ends with (m) or not. So I can determine if I have been moved over yet.

TIA ;)

Also a bit concerned that we're moving to OpenVZ. It's, historically, been un-secure and a most of the "fly by night" VPS providers utilize OpenVZ, due to the capabilities of over-selling service, at a detriment to the customers. :(

Also a bit concerned that we're moving to OpenVZ. It's, historically, been un-secure and a most of the "fly by night" VPS providers utilize OpenVZ, due to the capabilities of over-selling service, at a detriment to the customers. :(

At the core Virtuozzo and OpenVZ are identical aside from a few commercial tools (like VZPP, and then a few back-end management tools). Calling it "un-secure" is incorrect/inaccurate and it's just coincidence that most fly by night providers use it. Every virtualization system can be oversold be it Virtuozzo, Openvz, Xen, KVM, VMWare, etc. which is why it's important to trust who's managing it, ie us ;)

We're about 15% done with the migration so far and are running migration at all 3 datacenters at the same time. Migration is running pretty well with no major issues. There are, of course, few issues that happens every now and then and most of these are due to disabled start of services on system boot. If you reboot your VPS (i.e. through the Power Panel) and it comes back up with all services up and running then migration should work perfectly fine as well.

We're about 15% done with the migration so far and are running migration at all 3 datacenters at the same time. Migration is running pretty well with no major issues. There are, of course, few issues that happens every now and then and most of these are due to disabled start of services on system boot. If you reboot your VPS (i.e. through the Power Panel) and it comes back up with all services up and running then migration should work perfectly fine as well.

Thanks for the update, Paul. I know when rebooting my server, sometimes I need to manually restart at least one service. Is part of the upgrade process to assure all services are running after the reboot? I'd hate for you guys to do a migration on my server and have me not be aware that at least one of my services isn't running (thus affecting my customers).

This doesn't sound right. Do you have auto-start enabled for these required services? If you're using cPanel/WHM I would suggest to go to WHM >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager to make sure that both, "enabled" and "monitor" checkboxes are checked for all services that your sites require.

My VPS on ssd-06tx was upgraded last night. Everything was working fine this morning, which I had expected to be the case. The new dashboard looks great! I don't have Java installed in any browser (client Java is IMO a security sieve) so I won't be using the console, but that's at most a minor inconvenience since I can always open a ticket if an issue would otherwise require access to the console.

One question: I noticed a new (empty) directory in "/" called cpt_hardlink_dir_(looks like md5 hash). Is this a leftover from the upgrade that can be removed, or is it a required directory?

OpenVZ uses this directory in few rare cases, it is a sort of a workaround when it has to be there but cannot be created because of 100% disk usage. Currently it is created automatically on start, you can safely delete it. On the other hand it is empty and does no harm.

Thanks for the information! If the directory is created every time the container is rebooted, then there is no reason to mess with it.

UPDATE 6/18/15 - Migrations have officially begun.
UPDATE 7/12/15 - Migrations are 15% complete.
UPDATE 8/20/15 - Migrations are 40% complete.

Over the course of the next 6-12 months we are going to migrate each VPS on our network off of the Virtuozzo platform and onto the OpenVZ platform. This will not require any action on your part and will for the most part be a pretty seamless transition. It will require a single reboot to your VPS which should take no more than a few minutes. For VPSs with many millions of files it could take longer as a VPS quota recalculation will take place during this reboot.

The main reason we are making this migration is because Virtuozzo as a product is reaching it's end of life, whereas OpenVZ is an actively maintained project very similar to Virtuozzo. The differences in Virtuozzo and OpenVZ this day and age are actually very minor. The only one which will effect the normal operation of your VPS is the decommissioning of Virtuozzo Power Panel. As each VPS is upgraded, control of it will become available within the KnownHost client area. Our sister company, RocketVPS has been built on top of OpenVZ and it's proven to be a stable and reliable platform.

This will be a positive step forward as with OpenVZ comes new capabilities for VPS control within our client area and an all new Java console to let you access a command line of your VPS should you become locked out. Of course you can always open a support ticket in this situation as well, some will find this new feature very handy. As an added bonus, we're setting all VPS port speeds to 100Mbps and deploying new VPSs with this port speed as opposed to our old default setting of 10Mbps.

Below are answers to some questions you'll probably have:

Q: Will I keep my IPs?
A: Yes you get to keep them. Your IPs will not change.

Q: Will there be any downtime?
A: There will be a few minutes of downtime for a single VPS reboot and quota recalculation.

Q: Will my VPS port speed change?
A: Yes! We're raising all VPS network port speeds to 100Mbps for those who's VPS wasn't already set this way.

Q: Is there anything I need to do?
A: No, we'll take care of everything. Sit back, relax, and let us do the heavy lifting :)

Q: How can I tell if my VPS has been moved?
A: The best way is to look within the client area. If the name of your package ends with (m) it has not been moved yet. For example, “VPS-3 (m)” has not been moved, whereas “VPS-3” has been. In addition, there will be new VPS control options available to you if your VPS has been moved. These features are documented at https://wiki.knownhost.com/my-knownhost#vps_control

Q: Can you move all of my VPSs at once?
A: No. Migrations are being performed very carefully, generally based on node.

Q: Can you move my VPSs first?
A: Unfortunately we cannot schedule any particular VPS to be moved prior to another one.

Q: When will you move my servers?
A: This depends on a number of factors such as how fast the container before yours migrated, how fast the node before yours migrated, how quickly our staff are able to complete post-migration tasks, etc. As such, we cannot give you an exact time frame to expect migration.

Any updates on the migrations?