Setting up a very simple mail bounce?

greyproc

Hello,

I can't seem to figure out how to set up a simple mail bounce, where an email sent to feedback@domain goes to user1, user2, and user3. (Actually, probably will have 6 or so people, total). What I want to do is have an address that's published to a newsletter go to 6 or so people (specifically, fire department newsletter, with feedback going to the board).

This should be simple, but I'm apparently missing something.

For example, trying to do, under Forwarders, feedback@domain multiple times to different addresses doesn't work. I installed phplist, but that doesn't seem to be what I want, as there's no way of having anyone send to a single item.

Is there perhaps a pipeable script that does this? Take any incoming email to an address, and loop through a list of emails to resend it to?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Thank you for the quick response!

Actually, that is exactly what I tried to do. The way I have it set up is:
person1@ourdomain -> realaddress@somewhere.else
person2@ourdomain -> anotheraddress@anotherplace
etc.
So, the first one I did was:
feedback@ourdomain -> person1@ourdomain
feedback@ourdomain -> person2@ourdomain

And it didn't work. I thought perhaps because it was a forwarder to a forwarder it bombed, so I did try:
feedback@ourdomain -> realaddress@somewhere.else
feedback@ourdomain -> anotheraddress@notherplace

And still no dice. On BOTH, though, the first addresss DID get an email. It looks like when it finds the first instance, it doesn't look to see if there are any more forwarders. I wonder if this is a setting, somewhere?

It could also be that we've got the very very basic hosting, and this functionality isn't available?

What if you set it up as follows:

feedback@yourdomain -> supportguy1@yourdomain, supportguy2@yourdomain, etc

I haven't checked out the mail features in cPanel in a while, but I'm wondering if that would work.

If not, there may be another option in there somewhere to allow for multiple recipients.

Just gives an error..

Just tried that (oneaddress -> support1, support2) and cpanel gives an error, so obviously doesn't like multiple addresses for the forward.

I'm not sure if this is important enough to bother putting in a support ticket to ask; after all, I can set up an address to me, and then re-forward it; it's just rather un-optimal to do so...

cPanel changes this around constantly. user1@blah.com, user2@blah.com used to work great. Then they changed it for some unknown reason to where you need to set up a forwarder for each account you want to forward to.

I just did a test using the second method, and it does indeed work.

The example you list should work:
feedback@ourdomain -> person1@ourdomain
feedback@ourdomain -> person2@ourdomain

Works great on mine.

No dice.

Thank you for your response; I tested again, and used 5 different addresses. Only the first one received an email. I think this must be a limitation with the hosting account. Considering how pleased we've been with the service, this isn't worth griping about. Thanks for the helpful responses.

greyproc,

This functionality should work. Please PM me your domain name and the forwarding address that doesn't work so I can check logs for you.

Thank you for your response; I tested again, and used 5 different addresses. Only the first one received an email. I think this must be a limitation with the hosting account. Considering how pleased we've been with the service, this isn't worth griping about. Thanks for the helpful responses.

Definitely not a limitation with the hosting account. It should work on any cPanel server. Definitely take Paul up on his offer, since it should work without any issues.

Got logs.

Paul was very helpful, and sent me the logs. So, for anyone else reading this, this is something that's supposed to work, and just the way shown by previous posts, with multiple addresses to a single one.

After further research, what I've found is:
Godaddy's mail server accepted the email, but didn't send it. (test3@ourdomain.com)
Neither of the virtual emails were received. There were:
1@ourdomain -> 1@workemail
and
2@ourdomain -> 2@gmail.com
as well as
1@workemail and 2@gmail.com by themselves. The gmail addresses (mine) are completely dropped; my codesigner got ONE email.

So, the issue is that no one wants to ACCEPT an email to test3@ourdomain.com being sent to 2@gmail.com. I'm surprised gmail has no setting for this; it's not even ending up in my spam.

I can say with pretty good certainty the problem isn't on Knownhost's end at all, though.

Again, thank you, everyone, for your help with this.