My Account Has Been Hacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm not interested in leasing or buying a dedicated server. I just meant that if I were going to sell web space publicly, then I'd want at least that. I have no interest in starting a web hosting company though.

In order to sell web space from a so called reller account you should be able to automaticaly forward your customers support tickets to the web server admin, or else sit at home 7 days a week for 24 hours to service your 6 customers.

Or you can solve them yourself. That is what I do 99% of the time. Or you can offer managed hosting and cut back on the reported issues that way.

If you are reselling space to people, there is a very fine line bwteen "web hosting company" and what you are doing. I was simply replying to your complaint that the only way to "correctly" do what you wanted was an expensive and complicated, high-maintenance setup.

The only thing this reseller account is good for is you have a couple of domains of your own. If you sell webspace off your reseller account be sure your selling to people you already now and who know what your doing. Anyone who ties to act like their in charge and in control with a reseller account is a liar and an IDIOT.

I see posts here from people who are unhappy the traceroute to their ficticous "web hosting company" has an entry linked to the internal server routing of known host. All you have to do is look at the pop mail headers in the email to see that the mail is handled by Known Host.

When I mentoned known host on my TOS page in that phCOIN thing the other resellers on this forum advised me to HIDE my upstream hosting provider from customers or else they'd just buy their hosting from Known Host.

Preacher Herb

This is the case anywhere you go and get a Reseller account. This isn't KnownHost specific. Also, we want to keep this forum professional and clean so your post will be edited to remove certain comments. Not sure on the relevance of them.

Jay

I'm therefore not surprised that the only civil response that I got from a reseller was from someone offering a 7,000 dollar dedicated server to host my three domains and 500 Megabytes of *crap*

Preache Herb

This is the case anywhere you go and get a Reseller account. This isn't KnownHost specific. Also, we want to keep this forum professional and clean so your post will be edited to remove certain comments. Not sure on the relevance of them.

Jay

Hey, in another post you lamented that these forums were too inactive, and wished more people would use them..

Be careful what you wish for!

Sure we do. But negative things about a professional webhosting company who gives customer every dollars worth they spent and some doesn't make sense. We value our customers and do everything we humanly can to make them happy. Negative things we will always edit as any forum does if it isn't proper.

Jay

The only thing this reseller account is good for is you have a couple of domains of your own. If you sell webspace off your reseller account be sure your selling to people you already now and who know what your doing. Anyone who ties to act like their in charge and in control with a reseller account is a liar and an IDIOT.

I'm pretty sure I'm neither a liar or an idiot or both. I have around 50 domains hosted here and the majority of those are resold. I'm not clear on your definition of acting in charge, but I'm sure I'm in charge of everything I need to be in control of. I'm an educated customer and I chose this type of account because it is what I needed.

I don't need to lie to my customers, they want a web site and e-mail. Not one customer has required that I can walk into the DC and put my fingers on the server. Not one customer has combed through their e-mail headers and said "AH HAH! KnownHost, I knew it!" They are not raking me over the coals for using RAID5 instead of RAID 0+1 or for using VMware instead of actual hardware to host their site. They might not even care that I'm using CAT5 patch cables between my switch and server when I should be using CAT5e!!! You getting my drift? This is rocket science to most of my customers, otherwise they would not be paying me to do it for them. They neither care nor know what I'd be talking about if I explained to them what you propose.

I'm therefore not surprised that the only civil response that I got from a reseller was from someone offering a 7,000 dollar dedicated server to host my three domains and 500 Megabytes of *crap*

I think you are still totally missing the point. I offered that in reply to you saying "the only good way of reselling domains is with a dedicated server to which you had physical access to." You don't go shopping for a fishing boat at a store that only sells rubber ducks and bath toys, do you? Why are you with a reseller host if you "need" a physical server with physical access? RESELLER HOSTING ACCOUNTS is exactly what (among other things) that KnownHost is offering. You want a $200 a month service for peanuts and you aren't going to find it.

Physical server or not, you install an insecure script and you are going to get the same results. It sounds like you are annoyed because you chose this type of account and it was not what you needed. I fail to see how this is KnownHost's fault, I really do.

And from one of your earlier posts ... "I don't need a reseller account because I'm not going to resell for the reasons I already mentioned. I had to have somebody else restore the hacked files and if that would happened to someone who bought webspace from me then I wouldn't have been able to restore their files."

That could be a problem or it might not. If you are accepting payment for services, it would be a good idea to DEFINE what servcies you are providing. Full backups nightly or no backups at all. 24-hour support with 2 hour turnaround or non-priority e-mail support whenever you get around to it. It is called an SLA and unless you want to end up arguing with your customers about what you should or should not be doing ... it should be documented. (service level agreement) It sounds like you have come to the correct conclusion about you offering web hosting services.

You are misleading your 50 customers and keeping your fingers crossed. If Known Host doesn't come to the rescue or if just one of your 50 customers violates your providers TOS, you could be left out on your ass to explain to the other 49 customers why their website has disappeared. You better keep saying nice things about Known Host and hope for the best.

Jay

Hey, in another post you lamented that these forums were too inactive, and wished more people would use them..

Be careful what you wish for!

Preacher herb, your comments earlier contained some language that is really not neccesary. You cant blame knownhost to edit out a post that includes such language.

A forum can be great and active without such language....

Any one in the web hosting industry will agree, the issue that you experienced had nothing to do with the web hosting provider.

Every response by knownhost's staff on this thread was both professional and was with a calm tone. I can assure you this, if you were with any other web hosting comapny they would have NOT anwsered you with such professionalism---

For such public bashing without any valid rationale, i think it also shows alot about them that they have not terminated your account as i can tell you for a fact that hosts termiante customers easily under such circumstances.

I think an apology is appropriate.

What, that they haven't terminated this "reseller" account which I've already paid for?

Your saying I should apologize so they don't terminate my account and I lose all my data, and I'm not out the money I already paid, after having had to get hacked.

I haven't violated their TOS or AUP. If they want me to move to another host they can give me enough notice to move my sites and then issue a chargeback on my credit card and it will be no problem whatsoever.

Are you speaking on behalf of known host or are you just some jerk?

BTW, Point Per Click, I didn't once bitch about Known Host editing this forum. I couldn't care less about that.

Unless you're posting on behalf of this company maybe you should keep your yap shut about what goes on between them and me. If you are Known Host emloyee, then let's take this to email and we can set up a timeframe for me to move my domains off your sever and for you to reimburse me. That would be the "professional" way to handle this if you are indeed a Known Hst employee, which is possible since you are now demanding an apology and threatening to terminate my account as result of my complaining about hving my site hacked on your stupid forum.

BTW, Point Per Click, I didn't once bitch about Known Host editing this forum. I couldn't care less about that.

Unless you're posting on behalf of this company maybe you should keep your yap shut about what goes on between them and me. If you are Known Host emloyee, then let's take this to email and we can set up a timeframe for me to move my domains off your sever and for you to reimburse me. That would be the "professional" way to handle this if you are indeed a Known Hst employee.

All KnownHost employees have "KnownHost" in the title of their name on this forum. It would make no sense to have employees with unique usernames not representing our company. ppc is a customer of ours and does not work here. No need to make an assumption like that without contacting us first.

-Jay

So, PPC doesn't get paid to post. Just paid per click?

And I thought I had it tough..

Status
Not open for further replies.