Moving to SSD VPS

Hi Knownhost,

I would like to ask some suggestion about upgrading our VPS to SSD VPS.

The current setup is Core 2 E8500 @3.4Ghz and 16GB of RAM. However due to our heavy scripted Wordpress websites and our CPU is currently the bottleneck.

I am researching to upgrade this VPS to modern SSD setup.

Have you been monitoring performance on your cPanel? That will help you identify for sure what the bottle neck(s) is/are. An SSD VPS will help with performance but if the CPU is solely at fault then switching to an SSD may not completely resolve your issue and a dedi might be the better solution. Depending on the importance of your site, I'd suggest just creating a new SSD VPS account, don't fully migrate just yet but run some tests, and if the results are in your favor, go with it.

Our CPU Load is very high because of our page builder, we cant ditch it, so I am wondering if having SSD + Latest CPU on VPS would help the bottleneck.

Oh' I wasn't suggesting ditching anything, merely depending on the importance of the site...
  • If it's not critical and you can handle a little down time (shouldn't be much at all) you could just migrate the site to a new SSD-VPS and see if the difference is in your favor.
  • If it is critical then I would suggest keeping the site where it's at for the moment, create a new domain on a new SSD-VPS, and you would be able to test your scripts without affecting the current site at all to determine your next COA.
If this site brings in a reasonable income for you I would just recommend a dedi so you'll have full access to the CPU. At $239/Mo ($191.20 with the discount currently available) KH-DS2 provides you with a 4 Core 3.5GHz Xeon. I know that's a big jump in price from some of the SSD packages, but there's also a big difference in an "Equal Share" 24+ Core CPU and an "Unshared" 4 Core CPU.

In any case, I'm sure any upgrade will benefit you, it's just without more information anyone here would just be guessing if it would fully solve your issue. It's also possible that maybe adjusting some of your code you could reduce resource usage. If that's at all possible, that would be your best option, IMHO.

I will read this thoroughly. :)

Somehow using CDN would reduce the processing of scripts on the server?

I think you are familiar with Optimise Press page builder for Wordpress, it eats a lot of resources due to loading and building of scripts.

Oh' I wasn't suggesting ditching anything, merely depending on the importance of the site...
  • If it's not critical and you can handle a little down time (shouldn't be much at all) you could just migrate the site to a new SSD-VPS and see if the difference is in your favor.
  • If it is critical then I would suggest keeping the site where it's at for the moment, create a new domain on a new SSD-VPS, and you would be able to test your scripts without affecting the current site at all to determine your next COA.
If this site brings in a reasonable income for you I would just recommend a dedi so you'll have full access to the CPU. At $239/Mo ($191.20 with the discount currently available) KH-DS2 provides you with a 4 Core 3.5GHz Xeon. I know that's a big jump in price from some of the SSD packages, but there's also a big difference in an "Equal Share" 24+ Core CPU and an "Unshared" 4 Core CPU.

In any case, I'm sure any upgrade will benefit you, it's just without more information anyone here would just be guessing if it would fully solve your issue. It's also possible that maybe adjusting some of your code you could reduce resource usage. If that's at all possible, that would be your best option, IMHO.

The Dedicated servers you provide are only SATA-II. It would be much slower than the SSD VPS servers I assume...

D
The Dedicated servers you provide are only SATA-II. It would be much slower than the SSD VPS servers I assume...
dedicated 'default' are HDD's but you can change that in the ordering process, make sure to keep the second spinner for backups (assuming you are using WHM/CPanel)

Depends on the application. If you're doing mainly SQL queries and accessing files, yes there'd be a clear difference in performance between an HDD and SSD. However, the OP mentions his issue is that the CPU is currently the bottleneck. An SSD will always be preferred over an HDD, if space and money isn't a concern. If you can swing the additional expense I would personally recommend and choose to have a Dedi with an SSD over an HDD,

@PatrickSarmiento, Optimise Press should be more resource hungry on the client side, building the pages, than on the server side. Unless you have hundreds of people building pages in the backend at the same time, normally it would be more memory/drive intensive than CPU intensive, since it's returning more data than it is processing. If you have something like an online video converter, that's something that would cause high CPU usage caused by visitors. I'm interested to see some screenshots of resource usage. Do you have the Munin plugin installed in WHM? If not, install it so you can see the bottle neck.