Almalinux 8 - anybody migrated to it yet?

The German

Centos 8 is EOL very soon, Centos 7 to follow 2024 and I just saw an announcement on Cpanel, that AlmaLinux 8 seems to be a good, long term supported successor.
Questions:
Is AlmaLinux going to be an option for KH systems in the future?
Has anybody migrated to AlmaLinux yet? If so, how is the experience so far?

Howdy,

AlmaLinux 8 is fully supported on all of our platforms and we've been using it in production for quite a while. It's a direct replacement for CentOS 8 and KnownHost is also a sponsor of AlmaLinux as well as several staff members (myself included) are involved with the organization to help contribute to the open source community.

Very cool! Thanks for the quick response. I am on a uc.8192 package with Centos 7 and did the pre-check for AlmaLinux. Looks like there are several issues with an easy upgrade :-( Is KH offering an upgrade service? Or would it be easier to buy a new package and migrate the accounts?

Very cool! Thanks for the quick response. I am on a uc.8192 package and did the pre-check for AlmaLinux. Looks like there are several issues with an easy upgrade :-( Is KH offering an upgrade service? Or would it be easier to buy a new package and migrate the accounts?

Are you shifting from Cent 7 over to Alma or from Cent 8?

Ah gotcha, so that would use a program called ELevate which AlmaLinux has also developed.

Speaking honestly, it's not for the faint of heart to use, but it can/does work however you have to know what RPM's you may have to remove temporarily, or even re-install after the fact as it works great in certain scenarios but there are only so many it supports out of the box. You might check out the AlmaLinux MatterMost chat for some guidance on ELevate and someone may be able to get you in the right direction there.

I don't think we have the technical bandwidth to really take on assisted upgrades at this time but I do know eventually we'll be offering that at least to our managed customers in the future.

Thanks - yes, I ran the leapp test, but it came back with some issues, biggest concern being "Unsupported network configuration". I'll just get a new VPS and migrate sometime closer to EOL of Centos 7.

Thanks - yes, I ran the leapp test, but it came back with some issues, biggest concern being "Unsupported network configuration". I'll just get a new VPS and migrate sometime closer to EOL of Centos 7.

Ahh, interesting. I *suspect* that could be due to the way the VPS is built and the fact that RHEL 7 vs 8 manages networks slightly differently, you should be able to document the full network configuration, upgrade and then if it fails rebuild it since it's just a few lines, but again kinda depends on how deep your tech knowledge runs.

The "unsupported network configuration" likely refers to network-scripts which are deprecated in EL8. If you move to NetworkManager then I bet this warning will go away (but network-scripts also do function just fine in EL8, they're not removed until EL9).

<snip>

I don't think we have the technical bandwidth to really take on assisted upgrades at this time but I do know eventually we'll be offering that at least to our managed customers in the future.
@KH-DanielP -- may I suggest that it is time for KH to post prominently on the knowledge base or support forums or both a clear and comprehensive statement of what managed customers can expect by way of CentOS7>AlmaLinux migration timing and process? I recognize that CentOS 7 still has some life on it, but the nervous among us are . . . nervous.

Also, am I wrong in thinking that the fact that php 8.2 and its extensions are not available from Cpanel EasyApache, even though 8.2 has been formally released and 8.1 is also ticking toward end of life, may have something to do with the imminent aging out CentOS?

In any case, thank you! I have total respect for the great service we all get from KH.

(Managed VPS customer currently on CentOS 7.9.2009).

@hochd: My suggestion is (if you don't have a "managed" agreement that would cover the upgrade) that you simply get a new machine and migrate the accounts via the cpanel function. It worked just fine for me. The one downside is that you pay for two instances for a month, the other one is that you will lose your IPs. I tried upgrading Centos 7 to Almalinux 8 and it was a nightmare and not worth the hassle.

@hochd: My suggestion is (if you don't have a "managed" agreement that would cover the upgrade) that you simply get a new machine and migrate the accounts via the cpanel function. It worked just fine for me. The one downside is that you pay for two instances for a month, the other one is that you will lose your IPs. I tried upgrading Centos 7 to Almalinux 8 and it was a nightmare and not worth the hassle.
Thanks -- I *do* have a managed agreement. I know KH will do it for me eventually, but I'd just like to know from them when and how and if there's anything I need to do to prepare. I'm glad you finally succeeded!