Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas! (KnownHost Santa 2015 Edition)

thanks knownhost, outstanding service and one very happy customer :)

have a happy festive season and best wishes for the new year

Good stuff. I signed up for a VPS-2 just over a year ago - Nov 2014 I believe. Now, for the same price, I'm getting pretty much what the VPS 3 had at that time! Almost 50% more RAM, 25% more storage and 75% more bandwidth transfer!!! Not to mention of course the stellar support team.

Whichever way you look at it, that's excellent value and I love the fact the value doesn't deflate with time. Well done and thank you to all at KnownHost, merry Christmas guys & gals.

One small little point. Am I correct in assuming that the VPS1 now in fact meets the min system requirements for cPanel? :)

Very good service. Been using managed VPS-2 for a while. Since bandwidth is metered really would love to see the switch over to 1000Mbit.

I do have a question on your post though. I'm currently at a VPS-2 as you are and you said almost %50 more RAM? The upgrade indicates it only increased %25. Went from 2GB to 2.25GB, correct?

Happy Holidays!

Slightly confused, on first read it appears that all customers including those with dedicated servers are getting an upgrade, but on second read it appears the available dedicated packages are being upgraded so we won't get anything unless we take out a new package, and this is obviously available to everyone. So are we Dedicated customers on the naughty list and, like last year, Santa is not delivering to us?

It's coming up to 6 years now that I've been with KH and just over 2 years I have been on a dedicated server. I cant recollect the last time I received any upgrade except an increase of 250GB storage at the time when I signed up.

I am currently on the CP1 package aka KH-DS1 now. Currently paying $179 running on the following redundant specs which is not available on the KH site.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3450 @ 2.67GHz
8 GB Ram
1 TB storage (sign up deal)

Currently KH is offering the following specs for the price I am currently paying.

i7-4770 (4x3.4GHz 8MB)
RAM 16GB DDR3
MAX RAM 32GB DDR3
Bandwidth 10,000 GB
HDD1 750GB SATA-II

I remember enquiring about KH Santa last year but nothing came of it, if anything I think KH Santa should start with dedicated server customers first and work its way down. I may have been a naughty boy for 6 dedicated years but can I come out of the naughty corner now please? I could do with an upgrade and some much needed space.

Please sir can I have some more?

@Kayz , I'm afraid it's not that easy to add space to a dedicated server. This would require migrating your data from one disk to another etc. However, you can speak with our sales / billing department if you'd like to explore updating to the newer hardware. We will work with you and issue pro-rated credits based on usage time if your swapping to a newer and/or larger server. Just mention this thread & my name in the sales ticket and we will make sure to assist you.

@Kayz , I'm afraid it's not that easy to add space to a dedicated server. This would require migrating your data from one disk to another etc. However, you can speak with our sales / billing department if you'd like to explore updating to the newer hardware. We will work with you and issue pro-rated credits based on usage time if your swapping to a newer and/or larger server. Just mention this thread & my name in the sales ticket and we will make sure to assist you.

Thanks Daniel, that is understood about additional space; as we speak I am looking into freeing up some space on the server namely deleting some daily backups. I think I will stick with the current package and enquire about newer hardware.

Cheers

Hi Knownhost,
Thanks so much for giving something back. Much appreciated and all the best wishes for the new year!

Very good service. Been using managed VPS-2 for a while. Since bandwidth is metered really would love to see the switch over to 1000Mbit.

I do have a question on your post though. I'm currently at a VPS-2 as you are and you said almost %50 more RAM? The upgrade indicates it only increased %25. Went from 2GB to 2.25GB, correct?

Happy Holidays!

I echo the comment about gigabit uplink, that would be brilliant, and pretty soon it's going to be a bottleneck for end users as well.

As for your question about my post. The percentage increases I mentioned are compared to the package when I signed up un Nov 2014. Since then there have been 2 KHSanta upgrades, so I started with just over 1.5GB RAM.

Thank you for the Gift. KH support is awesome
Meanwhile, I have two SSD VPS accounts. But i could not see the upgrades reflected.
It shows i am still in SSD 1
Did i miss something?

Thank you for the Gift. KH support is awesome
Meanwhile, I have two SSD VPS accounts. But i could not see the upgrades reflected.
It shows i am still in SSD 1
Did i miss something?

You will still be on SSD1. Check your server status in the billing portal you should see more RAM listed

Daniel, the KH-DS1 offers 750 GB HD and KH-DS2 offers 1 TB HD. I signed up on a 1 TB HD offer back in 2013 under the KH-DS1 package and have had it since. After having spoken to Deborah in your sales department I am told that I cannot retain my existing 1 TB HD if I am to have the newer specs under KH-DS1 today.

After discovering KH on the Web Hosting Talk forums back in 2010, I joined KH starting with a VPS and then moved onto a Dedicated server only in the last 2 years. Today it feels like the additional 250 GB that I currently have is being held hostage if I am to have the same spec as everybody else under KH-DS1. It was suggested that I downgrade to a 750 GB HD if I am to have the newer hardware on KH-DS1 or move over to KH-DS2 if I want to retain my existing 1 TB HD which is an additional $60/pm.

I don't understand the logic behind the offer of 'upgrading' my current hardware if am left with no option but to downsize my existing HD or upgrade the entire server onto the next tier which I do not need. I understand it's not easy to add space on dedicated servers but surely KH can give me the same equivalent HD that I am currently already on?

Bottom line is: I am told by Deborah that the only way I would be able to upgrade any hardware is either by downgrading my HD to 750 GB on the KH-DS1 or by moving over to KH-DS2 if I want to keep my 1 TB HDD?

Having been a longstanding customer for almost 6 years I really cannot express my disappointment enough. This leaves me stuck between a rock and a hard place leaving me no option but to stay on my redundant specs over 250 GB?

The only reason why I needed a dedicated server was simply because I had an image hosting website with a lot of files. As i am using cloudflare to mange my bandwidth and dns I am nowhere near using the resources that i have available except for the storage on the dedicated server.

As disappointed as I am with the Sales department, I cannot fault support staff and the quality service here at KH. With that said I think I may downsize altogether to a KH VPS and find a cheaper 'storage' alternative for the one site which I initially bought the dedicated server for.

Kay's, if you do downsize to a VPS, would something like Amazon web services or even Dropbox be suitable for your extra storage needs? In both cases you're Beatle to pipe the files directl brought the web page to the user, so no difference to them.

Kay's, if you do downsize to a VPS, would something like Amazon web services or even Dropbox be suitable for your extra storage needs? In both cases you're Beatle to pipe the files directl brought the web page to the user, so no difference to them.

Predominantly all the websites on the box are mine with a few personal clients as I do websites for friends and family and photography in my spare time. As i don't offer web hosting services to mainstream public users I thought maybe going back to a VPS would be a cheaper alternative saving me a lot of money until I'm ready. I was already looking into Amazon web services a few months ago for the image hosting site and then decided not to go ahead with it as I had a change of heart and have been contemplating in opening up shop for webhosting services in my area; so I thought the dedicated server may be useful to hold onto.

But after Deborahs response yesterday I knew what I wanted to do straight away.

Today what added insult to injury was when i went over to the sign up page and found the KH-DS1 had options in offering 1, 2 and 4 TB HD's!? I'm still somewhat bemused as to why Deborah only gave me the option of a KH-DS2 as being 'the smallest server KH offers for 1 TB HD?' even after repeating myself about my existing 1 TB package.

I know i keep banging on about how long I've been with KH, but at the very least i was expecting some respect and honesty not only for me but for all longstanding KH customers who think highly of them. Maybe I feel even more disappointed because i think highly of KH and have recommended them to friends and to my former employers who also have taken out a dedicated server. KH is quite frankly the only webhost I have stayed on with for so long with little to no problems.

@Kayz

I apologize for the confusion. There are some things we can do for you that may not be standard. I'll update your ticket shortly.

Thanks to Daniel we may have a solution, but i'm keeping my options open still.

To be clear, I was suggesting using AWS for any shortfall in VPS storage if you decided to downsize to a KH VPS package. I wasn't suggesting yo leave KH and host the entirety of your websites at AWS. Of course you're free to do whatever you choose but just wanted to emphasise I was not suggesting that.

Hopefully you can come to an agreeable arrangement with KH. Purely from watching this thread it seems like KH-Daniel was prepared to do something for you that's not normally on the menu, and Deborah just wasn't aware of that. Hopefully my perception was right and they will sort you out :)

To be clear, I was suggesting using AWS for any shortfall in VPS storage if you decided to downsize to a KH VPS package. I wasn't suggesting yo leave KH and host the entirety of your websites at AWS. Of course you're free to do whatever you choose but just wanted to emphasise I was not suggesting that.

Hopefully you can come to an agreeable arrangement with KH. Purely from watching this thread it seems like KH-Daniel was prepared to do something for you that's not normally on the menu, and Deborah just wasn't aware of that. Hopefully my perception was right and they will sort you out :)

haha @adev you were not implying that at all, however your suggestion of AWS was a correct one. I have said time and time again the quality service provided by KH by that I mean technical support, little to no issues with my websites and the uptime is great. So why change something if it's not broken?

The only thing I have been deliberating over is whether to downsize to a KH-VPS as I was on one previously or remain on the KH dedicated server given my explanation above. Your suggestion of AWS is correct as all that I am doing is image file hosting which i could store over at AWS, on the other hand I intend to provide web hosting too which the dedicated server will come into good use.

Yes Daniel has already offered a great customer service, from responding here right up to responding to my ticket - that's what I call good customer service. It's Christmas (or was) and we're all on our holidays and it's still the weekend. At no point was I expecting any form of response to my tickets over the weekend but I have! I have no issues in paying up for the services I am receiving here at KH. However sometimes we all like a good deal or value for money and of course it goes without saying good customer service.

Rest assured I am not leaving KH - whether I remain on a dedicated server or move onto a KH-VPS. :)