NJ to MD Datacenter Migration

KH-Jonathan

CTO
Staff member
Dear Valued Customer,

We are excited to announce an upgrade in services for customers utilizing our East Coast datacenter.. We will be performing upgrades on the underlying VPS infrastructure to ensure that all of our equipment and our networks stay up to date with the latest hardware and technology to guarantee the best user experience possible for our valued customers. This includes upgrading back end servers powering our VPS systems, upgrades to our network infrastructure equipment, power distribution equipment and our network connectivity.

To achieve these goals this will include a relocation of our customers from our facility in Piscataway, NJ to our newly outfitted facility in Baltimore, MD. This transition allows us to provide our customers with a much broader mix of bandwidth ensuring stable and fast connections each and every time.

The mix of bandwidth includes direct connections to multiple Tier I providers such as Level3 and Zayo as well as direct connections with Comcast and Time Warner Inc.

By now you're probably asking how this is going to impact you, as a customer. The simple answer is you won't notice a thing. We will be live migrating our customers to the equipment located in our facility in Baltimore, MD. In performing the migration this way you will not experience any downtime or service interruption. There will be no IP addresses to change, and your entire file system with all configuration files, settings and websites will be copied over without any risk of data loss.

This upgrade is scheduled to take place starting Wednesday, February 19th. We will be unable to give you a specific time or date when your particular VPS will be moved as this is a live migration and one VPS may take longer than another however rest assured our dedicated Systems Administrators will monitor this process to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Migration progress updates will be posted in this thread as things go on, so please subscribe to this thread to receive updates on the progress of the migration.

Sincerely
KnownHost, LLC
https://www.knownhost.com

UPDATE 2/28/14:
The overall migration is approximately 43% complete.
UPDATE 3/6/14:
The overall migration is approximately 66% complete.
UPDATE 3/10/14:
The overall migration is nearing 80% completion.
UPDATE 3/12/14:
The migration of accounts is completed. We are in the process of removing the network tunnel so traffic will be routed directly to MD.
UPDATE 3/12/14:
The traffic tunnel from NJ->MD has been removed and traffic is now routing directly to MD. This completes the migration.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you guys keep moving data centers. (This is the second one I have heard of). Your services are great; I just don't understand the point of moving entire infrastructures. I know you said we won't notice at thing, but it just seems risky.

I don't understand why you guys keep moving data centers. (This is the second one I have heard of). Your services are great; I just don't understand the point of moving entire infrastructures. I know you said we won't notice at thing, but it just seems risky.

Blasto,

The reason we are doing this is to add a lot more capacity and redundancy to our infrastructure. The old locations were not able to keep up with our growth demands so we are relocating these facilities to ensure you as a customer have a better experience overall.

As companies expand and grow they have to take this into account to ensure longevity and future expansion of the brand. Have no fear everything is meticulously planned out to ensure you as the customer see little to no impact of this transition.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions and thanks for being a member of the KH family!

Do you recommend not making any changes during the migration? How long will it take?

Blasto,

We want you to use your VPS normally and not even worry about this migration. Our systems are designed to do what's called a live migration. Even if you are modifying files during the migration it will simply update those changes during the migration.

As our last move from CA -> WA things will progress slowly to ensure everyone stays online during this migration, the entire process may take a couple of months to complete, but we do it this way to enure no impact to you or your visitors.

Sounds good! Do you have an IP in the MD facility so we can see what's the connectivity like? (I'm a non-US KH client so I would like to know how this impacts us in terms of connectivity).

Sounds good! Do you have an IP in the MD facility so we can see what's the connectivity like? (I'm a non-US KH client so I would like to know how this impacts us in terms of connectivity).

I don't have a public test IP as of yet, as soon as we have one available I will update this thread with it.

I can say however, that when we entered the testing phase for this location most if not all routes either showed a marked improvement (10-20ms less) or were within +/- 5ms when we did side by side world wide testing between the locations. So worst case scenario you should see little or no change at all, however in a lot of scenarios you should see a marked improvement. This may not hold true for each and every location around the world but in general it should stay the same or be faster.

Hello good evening everyone.
The place where I am up to the servers is considered a bit far for me, if it was closest would be better, we all know that the more leaps worse.
Today I have exactly 23 jumps from my house to the vps, I wonder how it will stay.
Do you have any ip that is already in this new place for me to make a few test route?

Thank you!

Hello good evening everyone.
The place where I am up to the servers is considered a bit far for me, if it was closest would be better, we all know that the more leaps worse.
Today I have exactly 23 jumps from my house to the vps, I wonder how it will stay.
Do you have any ip that is already in this new place for me to make a few test route?

Thank you!

Anderson,

I don't have a public test IP just yet, as soon as I have one available I will post it in this thread. Physically speaking the two data centers are not that far apart so I would not anticipate it adding any additional hops for you.

Any plans to get SSD VPSes in MD then?

Once the move is complete we will be working towards this end goal yes. I don't have an exact time frame when they will be deployed at this time but one of our goals in this transition is to be able to more easily expand our offerings.

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. Been very happy w/ my service for the last year and am hoping this will continue.

13 Hops from my office in NYC to Piscataway right now, hopefully that doesn't go up too much.

Looking forward to that public IP to test once you have it.

@Jean Boudreau,

This was started today as planned, however as we mentioned it's going to take some time to complete and isn't something that will be done overnight. This will likely take a couple of months to fully complete.

@lyndonr

The easiest way to find this information is via a traceroute. The last hop right before your VPS will be the node hostname which will tell you what node you're on.

I understand there will be no loss of data but how about propagation issues or downtime for some? I run a forum and members are emailing me all day that we are having issues connecting to the site. I have noticed some slow page loads myself but no downtime.

I understand there will be no loss of data but how about propagation issues or downtime for some? I run a forum and members are emailing me all day that we are having issues connecting to the site. I have noticed some slow page loads myself but no downtime.

Since IPs aren't changing, there will be no propagation issues or downtime. Some with extremely large amounts of files may notice a minute or two of downtime at the time of actual swap in traffic but most people will never even notice this. The VPS itself will stay online and keep chugging along like nothing every happened (including MySQL and it's queries).

Not a single VPS has been brought online in MD yet. We've been moving data but nothing is actually being routed there at this time, so whatever you're seeing is going to be something else that's unrelated. I'd recommend opening a ticket so we can help you troubleshoot this.