WordPress Multisite hosting questions

btvbill

I'd like to install WordPress multisite on my primary domain and create additional website for my new customers and their domains. The advantage being that I would only have to upgrade one WP installation instead of each individual domain/hosting account installation.

If I do this, would I still create a new account for each of my domains in WHM? I need the statistics and email accounts for each domain too. I know that there are domain mapping plugins for WP multisite where you just give the domain registrar the DNS settings, etc. but I'm not sure if you can create an account in WHM or not.

Any other pros or cons to setting up and mapping different domains under one multisite account would be welcome. Thanks.

I'm not sure, since WP multisite use wildcard dns (*) and then point the user defined subdomain (ex: sub.domain.com) to wordpress account named "sub", if it is not exist wordpress will lead the user to the registration page. If we create a subdomain directly in cpanel, the user defined subdomain will be directed to cpanel subdomain account not wordpress multisite subdomain

learn about wildcard dns here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_DNS_record

:cmiiw:

Hello btvbill,

Wordpress seems to have a page on this although I've not done it.

Let us know how it works for you if you get it going. Seems like it would be very beneficial to do this especially if it works with separate accounts.