Where can I get basic instructions for getting my site hosted?

Red

Hi. I recently signed on with KnownHost for a shared hosting account and all I got was just an email with login information. I am completely new to this and I really don't know how to go about getting my site, which I'm currently running off my local machine (localhost), uploaded to my registered domain which is to be hosted by KnownHost.

Where can I find basic instructions for doing what to most is probably an obvious process? Are these instructions somewhere in the cPanel?

I downloaded an FTP client software, as I understand I need this first before I can proceed. But where to go from here, I really don't know for sure. I guess I can search on the internet to see where I might learn more about this process, but I thought I'd ask here.

Is there a set of instructions that explains each and every step, step by step, on how to get my site up on my registered domain?

I apologize for the basic question. Maybe there should be a note added to the login information email that directs new users how to get to square one and go from there.

First off, Red, welcome!

I'm just going to address the FTP question, as I think that'll be a big help in getting you started.

For the FTP program, you're going to want to create a new account. The host/address to put in will be your domain name (ie: yourdomain.com). The username and password you can use are the ones you got for your cPanel login.

This should get you in to your web space. From there, you will navigate to the public_html folder and put your web pages up there. The public_html folder corresponds to your domain room, so a file named contact.html would be accessible via yourdomain.com/contact.html.

Hopefully, this makes sense. I hope it helps you get started! I'm sure others on here would be glad to provide more information for other questions, as well.

First off, Red, welcome!

I'm just going to address the FTP question, as I think that'll be a big help in getting you started.

For the FTP program, you're going to want to create a new account. The host/address to put in will be your domain name (ie: yourdomain.com). The username and password you can use are the ones you got for your cPanel login.

This should get you in to your web space. From there, you will navigate to the public_html folder and put your web pages up there. The public_html folder corresponds to your domain room, so a file named contact.html would be accessible via yourdomain.com/contact.html.

Hopefully, this makes sense. I hope it helps you get started! I'm sure others on here would be glad to provide more information for other questions, as well.
Thanks Jeren.

I created a new FTP account but for some strange reason neither of the two FTP clients I'm using can recognize it. I followed the instructions in cPanel for creating the FTP account and all that, and I followed the instructions for Filezilla as well as for SmartFTP. Both of those timed out trying to find the connection. Something basic must be wrong and I can't figure it out at this point. :(

Here's what I get from Filezilla:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

Anybody have a clue as to what's going on here? :confused:

That would have been my suggestion. KH support is really VERY helpful when it comes to your hosting account. And their response times are usually very prompt. Glad to hear that you have the FTP access you need. That should allow you to care for most of what you need to do your initial site set up.

Red;
Congrats on choosing KH for your webstie hosting provider. I went through a number of host providers and KH is by far the absolute best choice for both service and support.

Now that you have your FTP problem solved you will need to assign the DNS provided by KH to your registered Domain Name so it will point to your newly hosted website. Do note that it can take up to a couple days for the domain name to propagate.

Good luck with your new site. If you have additional problems or questions do post to this forum or submit a support ticket to KH. I have found everyone here to be extremely helpful and willing to share their expertise. Likewise KH’s support department is fantastic and will get you up to speed in short order.
WR