What is going on here?

aldo

Hi.

I have been a KnownHost customer for almost a year now (A little less than 11 months). For the most part I have been very pleased with your service, however recently that has changed quite a bit. Recently it seems that it has become a daily occurrence that the server experiences very very high loads for periods of time averaging about 5-10 minutes. Every time I submit a ticket about this (or reply to an existing one) you guys either say something like "everything is now under control" or "we have restarted apache/mysql". Yes, that is nice, but that only temporarily solves the issue, and it just happens again.

One of the biggest issues with this is the fact that my site becomes overridden with errors about MySQL connections timing out, MySQL just being down, the site loading horrendously slow, and so on. Which, as you can imagine is not good for me or the visitors of my site because it becomes inaccessible or slow, and potential visitors just go away.

So, why is this happening now? It has never done this before, or if it has, it was a freak occurrence. However, like I have stated, it has now become nothing of a freak occurrence.

Thank you for your time!

Thats what it makes me think... But I would think KnownHost would look into this more, because if it is a client on the server doing this, they are harshly affecting other clients on the server...

Aldo,

We're aware of this and working to get things stable again. Few possible reasons for the problem were found and adjusted and/or fixed already, so the MySQL is working better in the last couple of days however there are still few problems left.

I've been noticing the same problem, lots of intermittent MySQL outages all of a sudden. I appreciate the update though, glad to know the root problem is being worked. Thanks.

Aldo,

We're aware of this and working to get things stable again. Few possible reasons for the problem were found and adjusted and/or fixed already, so the MySQL is working better in the last couple of days however there are still few problems left.
Sorry... It is just each time I would submit a ticket, someone would say "the issue is fixed now", which would make me think nothing else was being done.

Thanks for the clarification :)

It has been about a week now, and this is still happening. Do you guys have any more information..?

Aldo,

Quite many modifications were done and it should be working more stable now than a week-week and a half ago. How often do you see database errors now? Can you please PM me the details (date/time and actual error) if it continues to happen often?

Regards,
Paul

I am still seeing problems on my site (/home/dmm)
I cannot say it has gotten much better.

Here are just a few of the times where it was down for more than 1 minute.
7/19 4:15am EDT
7/19 2:32am EDT
7/18 2:37am EDT
7/17 6:50am EDT

The original problem was dealt with however there are few new ones. The timing you've provided corresponds to the moments when one of the user accounts consumed all available MySQL connection slots. Later tonight per user connection limit will be put in place to deal with this.

About a half an hour ago, 12:10 PM Pac I got a SQL error message trying to bring up my site. I run a very little forum with less than 60 users. About 10 minutes later, it started working again. Not sure if it's related to the same problems you guys are having but I thought I'd mention it.

I get the same issues, everyday my website's load skyrockets for a short period. I sent support requests, and all I hear are "there don't appear to be any issues". Then this morning between 3:43 to 3:47 AM I got TONS of emails reporting the following:

Code:
Database error in vBulletin 3.8.3:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT
                user.username, (user.options & 512) AS invisible, user.usergroupid,
                session.userid, session.inforum, session.lastactivity, session.badlocation,
                IF(displaygroupid=0, user.usergroupid, displaygroupid) AS displaygroupid, infractiongroupid

FROM session AS session
          LEFT JOIN user AS user ON(user.userid = session.userid)

WHERE session.lastactivity > 1249888539

ORDER BY username ASC;

MySQL Error   : MySQL server has gone away
Error Number  : 2006
Request Date  : Monday, August 10th 2009 @ 03:45:39 AM
Error Date    : Monday, August 10th 2009 @ 03:46:39 AM
Script        : [URL]http://www.8wayrun.com/forums.php[/URL]
Referrer      : 
IP Address    : ......
Username      : Unregistered
Classname     : vB_Database
MySQL Version :

goobee - based on your email I found your account to be on the c04 system. The timing you provided corresponds to be moment when one of the customers executed badly written cron script which consumed all available resources. That script was found and disabled shortly.

Jaxel - 8wayrun.com domain resolves to the IP which belongs to a VPS hosted in Los Angeles, CA. This isn't related to shared/reseller hosting. With VPS you have a set of guaranteed resources and your own services running on your system. My bet would be that your VPS either hit the memory limit which killed processes running there or that query exceeded timeout defined in MySQL configuration. Another possibility is that MySQL might have auto-updated in your VPS (if you run cPanel) and MySQL service restart happened to load the updated version of MySQL server.

Great question what is going on here?

Ok this is the second month in a row ... what is the deal and how does this get fixed?
Don't tell me this is a conactivity thing to with my ISP only sites not showing up today our mine and Knownhost ALL and I mean ALL other websites are working just fine.

I am not able to put in a support ticket even the "home link" on this forum brings up "page can not be found or serveer has timed out"

I do a Google search for Knownhost LLC the links provided bring up same page can not be found just like eeach of my websites including the Knownhost.com site and the support link to get help. Only one that works is this forum link since it is hosted elsewhere.

So please get this fixed or tell me how to fix it.

My URLS are
belceto.com and
personaldevelopmentsuccess.net go look for yourself and see how they don't come up.

Thank YOU for any help.

Shane,

As per reply in the other thread - if you cannot access anything hosted in Texas (including knownhost.com, support.knownhost.com, etc) your best bet would to be get in touch with your ISP. You can also try accessing your sites along with our sites through any of the public proxies like http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

Ok this is the second month in a row ... what is the deal and how does this get fixed?
Don't tell me this is a conactivity thing to with my ISP only sites not showing up today our mine and Knownhost ALL and I mean ALL other websites are working just fine.

I am not able to put in a support ticket even the "home link" on this forum brings up "page can not be found or serveer has timed out"

I do a Google search for Knownhost LLC the links provided bring up same page can not be found just like eeach of my websites including the Knownhost.com site and the support link to get help. Only one that works is this forum link since it is hosted elsewhere.

So please get this fixed or tell me how to fix it.

My URLS are
belceto.com and
personaldevelopmentsuccess.net go look for yourself and see how they don't come up.

Thank YOU for any help.

Both sites come up for me here.

You are having routing issues between yourself and the Texas DC. Run a traceroute (tracert domain.com) and it will give you an idea where it is failing.

I know that there were a lot of problems on the east coast of the US last night even causing complete 'net blackouts in some places. This is perhaps related.

yes well you closed that discussion so I was not able to ask more .....

A further question Ihave is what about email? I am not able to pull in to Outlook either from any of my sites it too is getting erors. This too from the ISP end?

Since Outlook is looking to get mail from your server, if there is a problem with your ISP in even connecting to your server, then you won't be able to access your mail with it, either.

Ok getting it taken care of

Getting with comcast and getting it taken care of

First off I appoligize I got a bit .... well you know how it goes was disterbed I couldn't get emails etc. Please except my appoligy.

Second Thank YOU each of YOU for your help and suggestions to pin down where things went wrong so I could fix the problem. Good to know it wasn't knownhost and that it will be fixed shortly so I can again have my sites and email working for me.

Thank YOU