Websites load very slowly on VPS

i just wanted to add a "me too" to this list
i'm gathering performance data now before i put in a ticket

I had the same issue with my account...

Eventually I finally convinced KnownHost to move my account to a different server... I went from 17.00 server load spikes... to never going above 0.17 server load...

With server loads like that they should be watching that box and crucifying who is causing that much load. Heck mine hit 4.2 the other day and was slow as snot.

I have contacted support many times about this issue and it has never got anywhere other then being told I need to upgrade which is just not true. Right now it is bad and when I eventually got into WHM this was my server stats which whilst high for my website as it really averages much lower it now struggles during awstats during my offpeak time.

Server load 1.01 (4 CPUs) [Broken External Image]:https://host.apinchofhealth.com:2087/green-status.gif Memory Used 87.41% (229152 of 262144) [Broken External Image]:https://host.apinchofhealth.com:2087/yellow-status.gif Swap Used 0.00% (0 of 1)
These stats shouldn't give me slow loading, 400 errors and such when loading up pure css/html pages, which it is doing now. Awstats has never been a problem until recently and it is not due to my site getting any busier because it isn't, that memory maybe briefly 87% but then on top of it I am meant to have burst memory as well and regardless I am still only using up 87% so there shouldn't be any problems. I am about to head into the usual busy times after the new year and if I am still having these problems now when my site is extremely quiet with xmas then it looks like I will have to move.

Everyone in this thread - if you're having problems and feel that our support team doesn't address them correctly and/or to your satisfaction please either request ticket to be escalated to me or PM me the ticket number so I can take a look at what might be going on there. Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done with this through forums as different issues might have different reasons behind them and there is no global solution that could be just applied to everyone at once. LA values doesn't really matter much - you might be having perfectly performing system which would show LA in hundreds and yet you might have totally slow service(s) with LA of one if that process blocks the rest of services/requests/whatever somehow. All that LA is showing is an averaged number of processes that are either running or pending execution. What these (one or more of these) processes are doing and why would be the main question.

Sherrie - Do you have your VPS in TX or CA? Timing of your post corresponds to the short network outage in TX today which was announced in the http://forums.knownhost.com/showthread.php?t=2623 thread.
I find it hard to believe that our support team will intentionally lie to you about your memory usage situation and to suggest you to upgrade for no reason. Do you see any alerts on the "Resource Alerts" page in your Power Panel? If so this would be an indication of resource shortage which may or may not be related to downtime, (temporary) service unavailability, etc. Please PM me your ticket number if all of this is not the case or if you'd like me to review your ticket and your system to see what might be going on there.

Regards,
Paul

Hello Paul, Yes I am on vz33-tx. I do not believe that anyone is intentionally lying to me, I just don't think they know of anything else to suggest so I have given up. Ultimately a bit of extra memory would be nice to have but I don't think it is the issue as my memory usage is the same as it's always been.

I find it coincides with around the time my awstats are done which for me (Aussie) is in the evening but for you the morning. The thing is, my website has pretty much stayed the same since I came here 2 years ago and currently is quiet as this is the quite time of the year so I don't believe it is due to growth of my website. I haven't added any new software. If I get a chance to today I will run awstats during its peak and see what happens.

Restarting after posting here last night seemed to help but it was late so I couldn't keep monitoring.

Sherrie,

If you're using 87% of your guaranteed memory at any given time, there IS going to be a problem. I'm not sure why you think there wouldn't be. You're going to have spikes in usage, things are going to slow down, and cPanel is going to start killing off processes.

256mb is not nearly enough RAM for cPanel. A fresh install with no loads, no sites is going to be right around 200mb on its own. 512 is about the absolute minimum I would ever recommend. If there are a considerable aamount of sites on your VPS, 1gb is probably around the minimum.

Of course, if it was working fine before and all of the sudden stopped, I don't know what to say. However, I seriously believe a RAM upgrade is in order. In fact, you should have just gotten one for Christmas. :)

Hello Bryan,

There is only one website on my account whose peak time would be during the servers off-peak time being mostly Australian visitors. As stated, memory use is the same as 2 years ago when I first moved here from a shared account and I was told the memory would be fine. My site commonly runs around 70% memory usage but also there is meant to be 768 burstable ram. It's only say up to the last 3-6 months where I have been having issues and it occurs during my off peak time when the website is quiet. I often forget all about it until I am up late one night and notice the slow loading sometimes it happens earlier in the evening. When I first moved over, the memory was around 90% at one stage in which the knownhost support suggested I disable spam assassin which I did. But my website was really fast at the time it was just a precaution.

Hi Sherrie,

Yeah...the puzzling part is that it worked well when you first came here. You can't really rely on the burst RAM, and the amount of memory is still a sticking point for me. But why you would get these problems all of the sudden like this, I haven't a clue.

Have you asked the KH guys to move you to a new server? They should be able to easily move you to a different server with no downtime. You could always try that out and see what happens.

Hey Bryan, yeah I am contemplating upgrading to the new vps plan with the 768mb and asking to move to LA at the same time.

Yeah, I'd definitely give it a try before just outright leaving. I've been with KH for 4 years this month (LA Datacenter) and really haven't had any issues. I do notice a slight slowdown and increased loads when the backups are taking place, but aside from that, everything is really quick.