VPS vs Dedicated

curdude

Hello,

I am wondering what the recommendation would be in rolling out 25+ domains (web shops) (possibly 100+), each indivudually with its own IP, SSL, payment processing with Magento. Magento is a resource hog so not sure if a VPS (individual or grouped) is the correct solution or a Dedicated (grouped or individual) is better.

Another service has recommended the hosting of the database on a separate machine.

Can KH suggest or recommend a set up? Custom solutions possible at KH? Or are packages as is?

Thanks.

No need for multiple IPs over SSL with SNI support, which all newly provisioned VPSes / Dedicated servers will have, so that will save some money for you.

I would start off with an SSD-4 or -5 with Zendopcache for caching. Then if you outgrow it, migration to a dedicated is a ticket away.

No need for multiple IPs over SSL with SNI support, which all newly provisioned VPSes / Dedicated servers will have, so that will save some money for you.

I would start off with an SSD-4 or -5 with Zendopcache for caching. Then if you outgrow it, migration to a dedicated is a ticket away.

Helllo Frddie,

I was contemplating an SSD VPS then move to dedicated if needed. Thank you for confirming my thoughts. I understand the migration / upgrading would be pretty seamless from any VPS upwards.

I read about SNI but not all folks are convinced this would work. Do you have any references on the SNI? Also what about the idea about hosting the database on a separate machine?

Thank you.

I'm not sure what some people could think is wrong with SNI (excepting the browsers and servers that are not capable). Here's a wikipedia link on the matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Server_Name_Indication&oldid=676522058

The main concern client-wise is this subset of browsers with no support:

However, that group is getting smaller every day.

Running the database on another machine shouldn't be a problem - would just require modifying the config files for sites from localhost to the remote server.

I'm not sure what some people could think is wrong with SNI (excepting the browsers and servers that are not capable). Here's a wikipedia link on the matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Server_Name_Indication&oldid=676522058

The main concern client-wise is this subset of browsers with no support:

However, that group is getting smaller every day.

Running the database on another machine shouldn't be a problem - would just require modifying the config files for sites from localhost to the remote server.

Hello Freddie,

Thank you again for your expertise. Is there an email address for special requests / configurations / consultations like these?

Regards,