vitfs folder in my root home folder?

bozboz

Hi,

I have several accounts set up on my VPS and domains attached to all of these. However in my /home folder I have a folder called virtfs along with all the other folders entitled the same name as the account names I set up.

The folder just seems to be an alias of some of the accounts but not all of them. I didn't create it so why would it be there, and why would it only contain some of the accounts?

Any ideas?

Hi bozboz,

Taken from: http://www.learncpanel.com/page/2/
jailshell virtfs

September 27th, 2007 NEVER DELETE ANY FILES FROM /home/virtfs/
/home/virtfs is used to chroot the user into jailed shell. Cpanel will hard link files into this directory so deleting files in /home/virtfs will also delete the files on the server in the actual location. (example: rm /home/virtfs/user/etc/exim.pl will delete /etc/exim.pl)
If a user is reporting double the quota and it is from /home/virtfs then we need to umount or kill and hanging jailshell process. To do this run
ps aufx |grep user |grep jailshell
If there are no jailshell processes then run
cat /proc/mount
It will show,
/dev/root /home/virtfs/user/lib ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/lib ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/sbin ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/share ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/bin ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/man ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/X11R6 ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/kerberos ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/libexec ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/local/bin ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/local/share ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/local/Zend ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/include ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda2 /home/virtfs/user/usr/local/lib ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda3 /home/virtfs/user/var/spool ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda3 /home/virtfs/user/var/lib ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda3 /home/virtfs/user/var/run ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda3 /home/virtfs/user/var/log ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
/dev/sda6 /home/virtfs/user/tmp ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/root /home/virtfs/userbin ext3 rw,data=ordered,usrquota 0 0
You will need to unmount each of these by running
umount /home/virtfs/user/tmp and so on
You can also run
for i in `cat /proc/mounts |grep virtfs |grep user |awk ‘{print$2}’`; do umount $i; done
Make sure to replace user with the cpanel username in the above command. This will then clear up the files in /home/virtfs and the quota should return to normal.

Dan,

Thank you for the reply. I am kind of new to this so I will do some googleing on chroot user into jailed shell. Is this because of something I set up in Tweak Settings about jailing users?

Should I be thinking about running a cron job once a month on each account like the one you suggested:

ps aufx |grep user |grep jailshell

Thanks

Boz,

When you set up your accounts you have given them SSH access. If you do not 'jail' them they can possibly cause problems with files outside of their account.

Unless your users report problems like 2x their actual disk usage you should not need to do anything :)