tons of Spam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MadMax, Aug 2, 2008.

1. MadMax

MadMax New Member

In the past week, I have been getting murdered with spam. I have not set anything up yet to deter this annoying stuff. I just want some feedback on what t=other folks are doing to combat this crap.......

2. Dan

Dan Moderator

Hello MadMax,

I use ASSP Deluxe but cPanel integrates Spamassassin too. I stopped using it due to the way it handles bounces but it might work just fine for you.

3. MadMax

MadMax New Member

I'll take a look. Thanks.

4. albatroz

albatroz New Member

Hello Dan,
    Do you know if KnowHost can install ASSP Deluxe for users?
    I would like to order a Cpanel VPS, but as you, I don't want to know anything else about Spamassassin.

5. KH-Jay

KH-Jay Administrator Staff Member

Albatroz,

Yes, we can install ASSP for you but we don't provide ongoing support for it since cPanel doesn't officially support it. I have heard it is heavier on CPU as well but can't really comment on that personally. Hope this helps.

-Jay

6. MadMax

MadMax New Member

Spam Assassin was activated on my forums a few weeks ago. All spam has been assasinated since. I am a happy camper!

7. Dan

Dan Moderator

Hello albatroz,

According to Jay there they can do that for you :) it's not real difficult though, if you're familiar with SSH and WHM they give excellent step by step instructions. At the time that I purchased it the cost was very reasonable but I have noticed that now it's much higher so unfortunately I am going to have to stop recommending it in the future. Not that it's not a great product, it has certainly done a great job for me just that they're asking a pretty good chunk of change for it now.

Jay, I have not seen much in the way of CPU usage myself but I also do not receive a LOT of spam either. I would be surprised to learn that it uses more than Spamassassin does though.

8. KH-Jay

Dan,

May I ask what costs a chunk of money? We didn't change our pricing so not sure what your referring to.

As for ASSP comparing to SA. ASSP is more CPU intensive from what I heard but can't speak on it from personal use. SA tends to use RAM for sure but that isn't CPU intensive.

-Jay

9. Dan

Dan Moderator

Jay,

ASSP Deluxe for cPanel is what I was referring to there :) sorry about the confusion.

10. KH-Jay

Not a problem. :)

-Jay