Questions from a newbie - Blog, Wordpress, Security, Overages, Backups, etc.

webmonkey

Hi - I am a noob to VPS, coming from a previous shared hosting situation. Thanks in advance for bearing with me while I figure this out. I have managed several sites with root access. I've heard great things about KH but I'm still trying to figure out the following.

What I want to use VPS for:
- a popular blog (5000+ unique visitors a day), 60 gigs transfer a month
- based on curent trends I expect it to reach 10000+ unique visitors a day by the end of 2007
- plan is to migrate first to KH
- once in KH will migrate from Blogger (current CMS) to Wordpress

1. Semi-managed
In a semi-managed scenario, who's responsible for maintaing the security of the VPS server, is that me? To be blunt, if the servers get hacked, who fixes it?

2. RAM
I hear Wordpress is a pig. I also have no experience with SQL (although I'll be learning). Based on my requirements what VPS package would you recommend - VPSMca, VPSLca, or...?

3. Digg...
What's your procedure if a site gets slammed by Digg, resulting in a bandwidth overage. Do you shut it down, or provide a grace period while the admin pays for additional bandwidth?

4. Backups
What's the backup procedure on your side? If you have a backup service and I need to access it, how does that work?

5. California and the earthquake factor
If the Cali datacenter gets swallowed by the earth, what happens to my site?

Thank you very much!

Hello webmonkey,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Based on your requirements a VPS is definitely ideal for you. We would be happy to have you. Please see below as I answered your questions. Any further questions let us know.

1. Semi-managed
In a semi-managed scenario, who's responsible for maintaing the security of the VPS server, is that me? To be blunt, if the servers get hacked, who fixes it?

--We do backup's of your entire VPS every other night so in most cases if your site is hacked the best way to get it back to the way it was is to restore the most recent backup (there are several available to you in the Virtuozzo Powerpanel).

2. RAM
I hear Wordpress is a pig. I also have no experience with SQL (although I'll be learning). Based on my requirements what VPS package would you recommend - VPSMca, VPSLca, or...?

--I would recommend the VPS Lca as the Mca is for simple sites and based on your requirements you are growing and plan to grow more. An important item to make note of is you can upgrade from VPS to VPS with no downtime.

3. Digg...
What's your procedure if a site gets slammed by Digg, resulting in a bandwidth overage. Do you shut it down, or provide a grace period while the admin pays for additional bandwidth?

--We send notices when you get close to your bandwidth but in general if you go over you are obligated to pay it. We don't just shut you down but if you go over and don't get back to us, etc then we definitely will shut you down. We communicate our customers so that is what we would expect if something like that occured.

4. Backups
What's the backup procedure on your side? If you have a backup service and I need to access it, how does that work?

--We do backup's of your entire VPS to external servers every night. You can view these backups in your Virtuozzo Powerpanel (GUI tool) and restore them if you want. We are also here if you would like us to restore it for you.

5. California and the earthquake factor
If the Cali datacenter gets swallowed by the earth, what happens to my site?

--Not much I can say to this. Some do backup's themselves to remote devices so in that case your data is fine. If the state of California disappeared and we lost all our hardware and so did many others then this will be a not so good day. I don't recall this every happening so I would hope it stays this way.

Regards,
Joel