Plesk 9.0

Ahh..so Plesk 9.0 was finally released. Only 8+ months late!

Knowing Parallels I would definitely wait but I'm sure Paul would have an official answer.

Regards,

Josh

As usual - it would be better to wait at least 2-3 weeks to see what kind of feedback will be posted on Parallel's forums. So far the only complains I'm seeing there are about inability to upgrade which might be a good thing :)
Past experience shows that upgrades of production systems shouldn't be done until first couple hotfixes will be released.

As usual - it would be better to wait at least 2-3 weeks to see what kind of feedback will be posted on Parallel's forums. So far the only complains I'm seeing there are about inability to upgrade which might be a good thing :)
Past experience shows that upgrades of production systems shouldn't be done until first couple hotfixes will be released.
Great! So we can expect Plesk 9.0 on our VPS after couple of weeks? Also, do new versions of CP enhance or degrade VPS performance?

Great! So we can expect Plesk 9.0 on our VPS after couple of weeks?

Depends. Some releases, we've had to wait longer for Parallels to push out fixes to bugs.

Also, do new versions of CP enhance or degrade VPS performance?

Another, "depends". Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes no change.

Parallels is really hit or miss. You'll just have to keep your eyes posted on other people's experiences.

Depends. Some releases, we've had to wait longer for Parallels to push out fixes to bugs.

Another, "depends". Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes no change.

Parallels is really hit or miss. You'll just have to keep your eyes posted on other people's experiences.
Wow! That was a quick reply ;)

Anyways, you are right. Has KnownHost deployed it on some of it's test servers and seen how Plesk 9 is like? Performance wise, stability or compatibility wise?

Has KnownHost deployed it on some of it's test servers and seen how Plesk 9 is like? Performance wise, stability or compatibility wise?

I am sure they have. Wait for Paul to respond on that one. I would say, given his statement to hold off on the upgrade, that as usual, issues were experienced.

Well I took the plunge to upgrade to 9.0 and it failed miserable. 9.0 is HORRIBLE. If you're thinking of upgrading, run FAR FAR AWAY!

I'll be making the (I hope painless) migration to cPanel.

Well I took the plunge to upgrade to 9.0 and it failed miserable. 9.0 is HORRIBLE. If you're thinking of upgrading, run FAR FAR AWAY!

I'll be making the (I hope painless) migration to cPanel.
OK we get the point. Any specifics or a bit detailed info of your HORRIBLE experience would help us better.

Any official word on this from KnownHost?

OK we get the point. Any specifics or a bit detailed info of your HORRIBLE experience would help us better.

Any official word on this from KnownHost?
Let me see if I can give a few details. The upgrade itself came back and reported failure. After I received the e-mail I noticed all the sites were inaccessible. I ssh'd into the box, and saw that httpd wasn't running...started httpd and sites came back up, but the control panel was still inaccessible. I was able to hit the Virtuzzo control panel, and restarted psa...now the Plesk control panel was now accessible, I was getting mysql errors related to tables missing.

At that point I submitted a ticket to support (at 3:25PST). At 6:30PST they reported:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]It seems that plesk upgrade has crashed the currently installed plesk package.

=====
The following could cause the installation failure:
Packages "psa-8.6.0-cos4.build86080722.02.i586 (s 0x9418b68 source=0x9179520 P:3868 R:123)" and "psa-9.0.0-cos4.build90081117.17.i586 (s 0x919f1b8 source=0x9179520 P:3632 R:85)" cannot be installed at the same time
Not all packages were installed.
Please, contact product technical support.
[root@server1 tmp]#
[/FONT]
At 8:58PM they replied with:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Plesk upgrade procedure was finished and you now have (still buggy) Plesk 9 installed on your system, please check.
[/FONT]
Now the control panel is accessible. After verifying that my domains were working I found that one domain was still not working. The TLD was accessible, but a subdomain is actually configured to use a different IP address...the httpd.conf had been rewritten. So I had to edit that file again to make the subdomain and the wildcard domains work like they should.

When I click on 'Applications' from the home page, I get this:
ERROR: PleskBadURIException

Invalid ID value:
0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/UIPointer.php:91UIPointer->__construct(object of type plesk__server__application_vault__package, string 'id', boolean false)1: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/UIPointer.php:151UIPointer->append(string 'item', string 'id', boolean false)2: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SiteApps/APSApplicationsList.php:336APSApplicationsList->getSwitchStatusButton(integer '166')3: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SiteApps/APSApplicationsList.php:472APSApplicationsList->nameGet(integer '166')4: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/class.cList.php3:1314cList->getTableBody_()5: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/class.cList.php3:1119cList->getTable_()6: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/class.cList.php3:670cList->get()7: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/ui/server.application-vault.php:177plesk__server__application_vault->accessMainForm(object of type APSApplicationsList)8: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/ui/server.application-vault.php:63plesk__server__application_vault->accessItem(string 'GET', NULL null)9: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/UIPointer.php:594UIPointer->access(string 'GET')10: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/plesk.php:37
So that part of it doesn't even function!

The best way that I can describe Plesk 9 is Plesk 9 is to 8.6 was Vista is to XP. Released too early, looks pretty....Need to at least wait for the latest service pack...but really, it's a failure, and we should just wait for Windows 7. The appearance and usability in Plesk 9 is completely different from the old system, and though I do see some things I like, it takes some getting used to, and who knows if it works.

So I will get a cPanel account concurrently with my plesk account...and migrate my domains as time allows.

Just my .03 cents.