phpbb2 on sql server

michaeldc

Hi all, i need to know what type of database you get on the shared hosting plan? can i get mysql databases on there or is it just sql? if so does anyone know if i can run a phpbb2 forum on sql database and importantly can i restore the database from my old host which was on a mysql server?

any help would be appreciated
thanks
Michael

Hi all, i need to know what type of database you get on the shared hosting plan? can i get mysql databases on there or is it just sql? if so does anyone know if i can run a phpbb2 forum on sql database and importantly can i restore the database from my old host which was on a mysql server?

any help would be appreciated
thanks
Michael

Hello Michael,

The shared hosting packages are using cPanel and while I have no experience with KH's shared hosting I am very confident that it uses MySQL.

If your current host is cPanel as well you should be able to do a backup and then import that directly in with no trouble.

thanks Dan, i have pretty much everything sorted now, just a little confused as to the addon domain section - i added on a domain but the root folder is inside my regular domain folder ie:

www.123.co.uk = regular domain registered with knownhost
www.123.co.uk/456 = where the addon domain resides

i figured the addon domain would get it's own root folder and not be inside the other website - i pointed the dns in my domain host to the correct nameservers and i need to ensure that when someone goes to that domain it's not simply being redirected to a folder on 123.co.uk

if that makes any sense! hopefully it'll all work out ok...

Hi Michael,

The addon domain has to be located in the public_html else it will not be publicly available.

There will not be any visible redirection that takes place and all pages browsed on the addon domain will show as the addon domain's.

Hi Michael,

The addon domain has to be located in the public_html else it will not be publicly available.

There will not be any visible redirection that takes place and all pages browsed on the addon domain will show as the addon domain's.

Well that's certainly a relief to hear, i'm a little confused, if i've done something wrong though, i have two domains as follows:

telivo host 1 - if i type http://blahblah.co.uk it works, if i add www. it doesn't...
godaddy host the other - it's been several hours and neither method above work.

i changed the nameservers in both to NS7A.PRIVATESYSTEMS.NET & NS7B.PRIVATESYSTEMS.NET but it's taking a long time to come through - the last time i did this with a free host it took no more than an hour for everything to be working fine so i'm reluctant to think it's the domain hosts which aren't working - are there any settings in cpanel i need to change?

Thanks for your time Dan, you've been a big help :)
Michael

Newly registered domains will resolve very quickly but if you are changing existing domains over then it can take as long as 3 days. The registrars will even say up to 72 hours.

If you would like to go ahead and PM me with the domain names and I will do a dig on them from here but I am sure if you give it a day or so things will be working just fine.

Does anyone have or can anyone tell me where I could find an SQL script for creating the database and tables for a PHPBB or a vBulletin forum or other forum that is relatively comprehensive?Cheers,Dan