Performance Issues at times of high server load

mkc

The performance of my VPS has steadily worsened and now I am losing sales/customers due to scripts timing out at times of high server loads. There are times I cannot even get WHM or cpanel to load or it takes minutes to load after entering login information. Pages that take around 300 ms to load at times of low usage are taking 7 to 10 seconds when the server is busy.

Would a higher lever VPS with more priority alleviate this problem or should I go for a dedicated server? My bandwidth usage is very low.

Hi mkc,

I would be more concerned about what is causing the load myself. Do you have thousands of accounts/sites on it? Is there a runaway or poorly written script? Throwing more horsepower at it would of course help but knowing why you are having high server load issues should be the first step :)

Hi mkc,

I would be more concerned about what is causing the load myself. Do you have thousands of accounts/sites on it? Is there a runaway or poorly written script? Throwing more horsepower at it would of course help but knowing why you are having high server load issues should be the first step :)

By high server load, I wasn't just referring to my VPS. I mean the server as a whole, which has many VPS accounts on it. The most recent timeouts were during the 5-6AM timeframe, when I assume someone has backups are running. There is always a high iowait at that time.

At other times, server load on my VPS can be next to nothing and even a static page or WHM/cpanel takes eons to load.

There are only three sites on my VPS with any appreciable activity. The other domains are 301 forwarded to the active sites.

I would suggest submitting a ticket to support then if that is the case. It might take a while for them to track it down since it is intermittent but if you can give them specific times and even provide documentation (since it seems you have a monitoring service or something) that should help a great deal I would think.

I decided to upgrade to SSD-3 instead. I have tried to address this before by submitting tickets, but got nowhere. Scripts run more than twice as fast and curiously the constant timeouts when I download email are gone. Logging in to WHM or cpanel is very fast also. So far so good.