off site backups?

Hi Adam,

At this time we don't offer any off-site backups. If you search the forums we have a few users who have setup an Amazon S3 account and are using it to provide off site backups for their cPanel backups being automatically FTP'd over when generated.

Hi Adam,

At this time we don't offer any off-site backups. If you search the forums we have a few users who have setup an Amazon S3 account and are using it to provide off site backups for their cPanel backups being automatically FTP'd over when generated.
This question is not for myself, but for someone else who is looking for new hosting (I've become a very large depository of information and Q&A by proxy. lol).

Is this something as a managed hosting provider you would be willing to help setup?

Generally speaking no since it involves external 3rd party services and in some cases some custom scripts, however, several of the users here in our forums have put a guide together in one of their threads that makes it fairly easy to setup.

We can install some of the back end services required for it but the final config for 3rd party apps would be left to the customer.

Generally speaking no since it involves external 3rd party services and in some cases some custom scripts, however, several of the users here in our forums have put a guide together in one of their threads that makes it fairly easy to setup.

We can install some of the back end services required for it but the final config for 3rd party apps would be left to the customer.
Sorry to hear it.

I do not understand Amazon for hosting. I can understand a command prompt better than I can understand Amazon for hosting. I don't understand their plan structure, their price structure, and it seems like you need another plan or another service, for each individual thing they offer or you plan to deploy.

It's not as simple as here is VPS or Dedicated... ie... Not so cut and dry. Problem is this person will likely want me to setup a remote for them and when it comes down to Amazon... forget about it.

OK. Thanks for answering my question.

I do not understand Amazon for hosting.

I agree that Amazon's range of services can be confusing, but I have set up an S3 bucket for backing up one of my Wordpress sites, and it was quite painless. There are a number of WP backup plugins that will do automatic scheduled backups to S3 and other cloud file storage services (Rackspace Cloud Files, etc), such as BackWPUp. I'm sure other CMSs will have similar integration with S3.

I don't have experience backing up an entire VPS or cPanel account to S3, but from what KH-DanielP says there are other forum users who could help. I know Dan wrote a guide: http://forums.knownhost.com/threads...g-cpanel-backups-encryption-and-logging.1223/

Last edited: