New California Datacenter Launched

KH-Jay

Administrator
Hello,

We are happy to let everyone know we have officially launched our new California datacenter. You can read more about it on our Networks Page found here http://www.knownhost.com/company/network.html but a few highlights to mention. We are in the 600 West 7th Street in Los Angeles, California. Customers now receive even more value as we do use a BGP blended bandwidth solution that consists of 8 transit providers including Qwest, Sprint, Level 3, Global Crossing, Savvis, PCCW, Tiscali and Teleglobe. This is very exciting for us as we have been working hard to deliver something like this in California and we feel this is an upgrade from the current California Datacenter. If current California datacenter customers want to move to the new DC for now the best approach is to email the Sales department for further information. All the test IP's are on the Network page so feel free to test things as you please. All new California VPS orders will be provisioned in the new CA Datacenter so hope you all enjoy. :)

Thanks,
Jay

As one of the "old" CA centre users I guess I have some questions that immediately come to mind that I would think others would have too:

- are you lloking to eventually move all existing clients to the new centre?
- if so, what do existing clients need to do?

Ultimately, yes we would want customers to move but we won't force anybody to move. We have many happy customers in California now but we have done this as part of our long term strategy.

Current customers in our old CA DC who want to move, best way to approach this is email our Sales department and they will discuss how to go about making the move. Our goal is to make this a good thing which is why we aren't forcing things but we are going to be here for any questions, etc asked.

-Jay

Some questions on moving to the new DC:

1. Will the double bandwidth resource be maintained at the new DC?

2. Will our current IPs have to be changed?

3. Will there be any downtime for such a move?

4. Are the server specs at the new DC the same as at the old DC?

5. Is there a timeframe in which we need to decide whether to move or not?

Some questions on moving to the new DC:

I asked that via support and I was told that yes, IP addresses will change.

I assume that a new VPS is provisioned and we need to get it setup the way we want, then move our sites over. My response ticket from sales suggested that KH will gladly assist with moving data across.

mylinear,

Please see my comments in line:

1. Will the double bandwidth resource be maintained at the new DC?
--At this point yes but we originally had not planned on keeping the double bandwidth option perminent so this might change. Regardless all current customers in the CA data center will move with the double bandwidth regardless.

--Yes your current IPs will change.

3. Will there be any downtime for such a move?
--There is no downtime associated with the move. You will need to update your DNS.

4. Are the server specs at the new DC the same as at the old DC?
--Yes they are the same.

5. Is there a timeframe in which we need to decide whether to move or not?
--At this point no. As Jay said, eventually we would like to move everyone but there is no timeframe at this point.

Thanks,
Joel