Move to knownhost has been slow

wcgrafix

Hi I just moved from HostGator to KnownHost, but your tech support cant figure out why my site is offline....

My site has been down since transferring to KnownHost (about 10 hours now )

Your tech guy says that the KnownHost ip is being blocked from hostgator which I just checked and nothing is been block (or blacklisted)

Can somebody help me please (thanks)

Willie
wcgrafix@gmail.com

Willie,

I just reviewed over your ticket and it appears either your HostGator server is still down or they may be blocking us from connecting to it.

I will make sure our techs dig into this a bit deeper but until HostGator gets your site back running we won't be able to transfer it as we need to be able to connect to your HG server to make a copy of all your information over to your KH VPS.

You may want to open a support ticket with HG to try and get your sites back online so we can start the transfer as if your site is offline for you then it will be the same for us unfortunately.

Ok, I pointed the dns with the registrat as instructed by you guys with the new ip address

Should I revert back to the old HG ip address aswell

Below is an email HG just sent me

Ticket: NGN-24057138
Hello there,

I have unblocked the IP 24.73.185.86 from the firewall.

Hello,

If they just sent you that, we should be allowed through the firewall to perform the migration now. That indeed indicates we were blocked.

I think HG just emailed that to just say that they did something on my behalf

As I checked and you knownhost ip was not blocked and I had another tech guy check aswell

Oh well, hopefully you guys can help me and figure this out on why my site is down

Thanks guys

Willie

After reading more on the HG forum it looks like all VPS and dedicated servers migrated to Provo are still down and have been for up to 48 hours

The site is working and is live now on HostGator

clubpsd.com

But would love to be at a stable home with KnownHost soon

Just waiting on the transfer...lol

It may be live but it is at running at a crawl.
HG probable has so many customers leaving it it's put a strain on it's servers :eek:

Dave G

It may be live but it is at running at a crawl.
HG probable has so many customers leaving it it's put a strain on it's servers :eek:

Dave G

I bet you're right. I know we've been moving people away from them day and night since Friday...

Yah I see clubpsd.com is still on HG, Willie please let us know when you point your nameserver to KH

Dave, I didn't see that comment before, holy crap. Even if they suspect you're working for a rival, for them to post as such while representing their company is in horrendously poor judgment.
I too, am from there. aeons. I also suggested Knownhost to a bunch of people wanting to leave there.

Are you referring to CSF at the bottom of the first post? If so I used it on my HG and my KH server, I transferred using cpanel's remote backup feature without issue.

Looks like you got out of there a few days before the catastrophe, lucky timing!

Yep if I had waited a couple of hours more I would have been in deep dodo.

Yes CSF though KH has done a good job of securing your server I recommend having ConfigServ do there thing, open a support ticket with them and they will put you on the list if your running a VPS3 or better I would also recommend MailScanner it was the best $150.00 I ever spent.
With the savings I got from moving here I'm paid back in 4 or 5 months.

I see you do PHP programing, I'll keep that in mind.

Dave G

You mean hardening? They'll do that for only $150?

Your server has already been hardened. We do that prior to sending you login information.

CS MailScanner is something completely different. It's an anti-SPAM and anti-virus utility. I've never personally used it and always just stuck with SpamAssassin myself.

Ah ok - irregardless $150 is still pretty cheap for that type of service.

I use spam assasin too. As of late spam hasn't been out of control, but a few weeks ago a large amount had made it's way through.

By no means am I implying that KH does not do a good job of hardening off there installs, they do more than HG ever did and if I offended the people at KH I apologize.
I like to have the extended tool CS installs as I am not very good at command line stuff.
http://www.configserver.com/cp/cpanel.html
Attached you can find the list of what was done here on my VPS

As for MailScanner I wouldn't be with out it, it does use SA along with other black hole services and stops incoming and if you want outgoing email viruses, auto updated SA rules and so on.
My customers were being slammed by spam mail from @*.pu accounts and I was able to do a server block very easily in the MS control panel
http://www.configserver.com/cp/mailscanner.html
http://www.mailscanner.info/

Dave G

Attachments

• CS_work_done.txt
    13 KB · Views: 1,222
Willie

I see you are now with KH welcome

Dave G

Hi I just moved from HostGator to KnownHost, but your tech support cant figure out why my site is offline....

My site has been down since transferring to KnownHost (about 10 hours now )

Your tech guy says that the KnownHost ip is being blocked from hostgator which I just checked and nothing is been block (or blacklisted)

Can somebody help me please (thanks)

Willie