Modern Bill

dgoddard

I noticed in the signup, you offer Clientexec for $5/month. Would you guys be able to offer Modern Bill to VPS subscribers too? I enjoy Modern Bill's features much more that Clientexec's.

This is not something we have really thought about but this doesn't mean we won't. We need to have some demand to be able to get Reseller pricing. As of now we don't have many wanting it. Let us talk internally. Anyone else out there who would want to use MB?

-Jay

I love MB a lot of my previous hosts have used it for their clients and I really enjoy it, but also WHMAutoPilot looked enjoyable but I don't know what they do as far as reseller pricing. ClientExec is decent, but it doesn't have the most professional looking touch to it that I like.

-Caleb

We have considered Accountlab Plus from Netenberg as well. It is tightly integrated with Fantastico. MB we use for KH but the last I knew reseller pricing wasn't similar to Accountlab or CE. We will research this option however. Thanks.

-Jay

I think that CE looks a lot better than AccountLab Plus so we should possibly stick with that. Also, any resellers here or VPS users that sell webspace, please PM me or AIM me at cwake13 because I've got a small webhosting site and I want to provide services but I'm kind of stuck on getting a few clients. If you have any advice, let me know.

Hi. I have been considering an account but would second the vote for ModernBill. I know it's a little more expensive than other solutions, but you may be able to get some decent pricing from these folks: http://www.mblicenses.com/

David

If we keep getting requests we definitely will get into offering this. With the new Modernbill coming out with new prices (I think) it is best to wait for MB 5.0 to release then formalize reseller pricing.

Thanks for the link. We will check them out.

Hope to see you signup. Check here for our recent promotion.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523288

-Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about the offer. A few questions I would like to ask:

1. Do you oversell your reseller servers at all and do you allow those resellers to oversell?

2. Are you able to offer end user support for either reseller plans and/or VPS plans as a paid addon?

3. What type of security hardening if any is provided on the VPS plans? As a point for comparison, do you perform or provide any of the things that the folks at www.configserver.com do with their cpanel server services (http://www.configserver.com/cp/cpanel.html). As an example, is mod_security installed by default or if not, would you be able to install and set it up for a customer upon request? Same for things like mailscanner, clamav, etc.

4. I saw something about Level 3 techs. Was that referring to all support requests being handled by Level 3 people or is that just in certain situations? One of the problems I have experienced in the rare event I need to open a support request, frankly multiple times I have gotten dumb answers to intelligent questions which is very frustrating. While I am not a SysAdmin, I have over 18 years of IT experience and it gets really nerve racking when support comes back to you with answers you would expect to ask people that know nothing about what they are doing.

Thanks, it looks promising thus far. I know the folks at WHT seem to really like your services (and they can be a very fickle bunch :) )

David

David,

Below are your answers. Any further questions let us know.

1. We do not oversell our servers and we do not allow customers to oversell. We did for awhile then stopped it per our customers requests.

2. We do not offer end user support for our customers. We are here to help you 24/7 but not your clients.

3. We can harden a VPS without any issues. Just let our support know any request regarding this and we will take care of it. We take security and performance seriously as you can see.

4. All Support tech's we have are Level 3. Meaning no front line support delaying tickets for more Sr. people to respond. Your first response will be a very intelligent answer with a solution/fix.

-Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay. 3 out of 4 is pretty good :) I had a feeling that I knew the answer about the other one before I even asked. I suppose I could always go with someone like Touch Support for something like that.

My guess is I will be signing up before the weekend is up. Do you all have staff available to setup accounts on the weekends? Not a big deal either way, just wanted to know if I signed up over the weekend if it would be setup then or not until Monday. I'm also assuming the offer you mentioned is still valid/active for the VPS accounts. I didn't see one on the reseller side. Thanks!

David

Yes, we have staff available on the weekend to do installs. The special is available right now for VPS accounts. Just make sure you use the coupon code KH2MONTHS. Hope to see you signup.

-Jay

KnownHost-CEO said:
Yes, we have staff available on the weekend to do installs. The special is available right now for VPS accounts. Just make sure you use the coupon code KH2MONTHS. Hope to see you signup.

-Jay
Jay,

Well, it's already past the weekend! We've been OBE the last couple of days getting our previous house ready for sale (we close on the 28th thank God), reinspections, etc. I wanted to have the chance to read your TOS and AUP before signing up, as I always do with any provider. The only thing that is of any real concern was in the TOS stating:

a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.

While I have never had a problem with warnings from a provider for such a thing, it seems conceivable that this could happen. I am not all that familiar with Virtualization technology other than the basic tenants but I thought one of the purposes was to have a finite amount of server memory and cpu among other things so that 10 other VPS's behaving badly wouldn't effect mine and the accounts under it? They would just end up crashing their own services (http, ftp, exim, etc.) and my VPS and accounts would continue as they should. Am I wrong about this, or is it that this clause is intended for the shared/reseller accounts only?

Also, assuming I ended up using the VPS to host clients sites, if one of their sites ended up causing a resource issue, I am assuming unless it was an urgent types of issue that I would be notified before suspending accounts? I am also assuming that if necessary, only the account/domain in question would be suspended and not my main account?

I know this is generally a difficult question to answer as everyones mix of variables will be different, but I would just like to have a ball park idea of how many sites could be efficiently managed on the VPS XL plan with Cpanel? Assume most would be fairly static sites, some with SMF or VB forums possibly but most likely not more than 10-20 users online at a time. In that scenario, would 30-50 accounts be within reason? Thanks...I'm still liking what I see so far.

David

P.S. I know you guys provide great service/support and because of that you can be your own worst enemy if growth is not handled/managed accordingly. I sincerely hope that you are as good at managing the "business" as you all are at managing the technical aspects of the company. I guess you can tell I'm looking for a provider that I can feel comfortable will maintain level of service and support over the long haul.

David,

I have answered you below. Good to hear you have sold your house. :) Hope you made some money.

1. In a VPS you are isolated so you have your set number of guaranteed (MIN) RAM so if the server all of a sudden was fully utilized with memory you would at least get the MIN RAM. So depending what your doing in your VPS it could crash something. The good thing is we don't oversell our servers so there is enough resources to not allow this to happen. Now with CPU it is different since we don't cap VPS's. So you could be running some script and could use all the CPU of the server. We will notice and react right away and if need be kill the process as this does effect customers. We do equal share CPU so you share CPU equally with others when they are using CPU. But we don't cap yours so you can burst the CPU. This is not good though..

2. We don't terminate the entire account unless this happens continuously of course. If we don't have a speedy reply we will have to kill the process as this is negatively effecting other customers. We strive on quality performance which this is not good for.

3. I don't see an issue with this but like you said many variables factor in since you may be running Antivirus or Spam Assassin, etc. In general if low traffic sites with little applications running it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding your PS. We are a customer service focused company and believe in quality performance with our servers and how we treat our customers. I don't see this changing as this is how all of KH is. I believe in it as well my tech's and sales people. We take on challenges as they appear and handle them in a professional manner at all times. Any questions please let me know. Hope to see you signup.

-Jay

KnownHost-CEO said:
David,

I have answered you below. Good to hear you have sold your house. :) Hope you made some money.

1. In a VPS you are isolated so you have your set number of guaranteed (MIN) RAM so if the server all of a sudden was fully utilized with memory you would at least get the MIN RAM. So depending what your doing in your VPS it could crash something. The good thing is we don't oversell our servers so there is enough resources to not allow this to happen. Now with CPU it is different since we don't cap VPS's. So you could be running some script and could use all the CPU of the server. We will notice and react right away and if need be kill the process as this does effect customers. We do equal share CPU so you share CPU equally with others when they are using CPU. But we don't cap yours so you can burst the CPU. This is not good though..

2. We don't terminate the entire account unless this happens continuously of course. If we don't have a speedy reply we will have to kill the process as this is negatively effecting other customers. We strive on quality performance which this is not good for.

3. I don't see an issue with this but like you said many variables factor in since you may be running Antivirus or Spam Assassin, etc. In general if low traffic sites with little applications running it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding your PS. We are a customer service focused company and believe in quality performance with our servers and how we treat our customers. I don't see this changing as this is how all of KH is. I believe in it as well my tech's and sales people. We take on challenges as they appear and handle them in a professional manner at all times. Any questions please let me know. Hope to see you signup.

-Jay
Jay,

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you. Finally done with all the house stuff, and yes we did make some money. Not what we were asking (the market down here isn't quite what it is in the DC area) but reasonable and not having 2 mortgage payments will be the biggest relief of all!

Am I too late to take advantage of the 50% offer? I saw something on WHT but can't remember if it was ended or extended. If ended, I'll probably just start with a reseller account, if extended I'll order a VPS.

I also saw someone ask about fully managed and something to the effect of including "managed services" in the signup comments. What essentially is the difference?

I also forgot to ask before, but would it be possible to get ip addresses on different networks so I could host my site on one and clients on the other? My concern is if there is a problem with the network/server that clients would not be able to reach support.

David

David,

Congrats. No, you aren't too late. We will be ending the promotion this evening so please consider by then.

Regarding the Managed vs. Unmanaged it is quite simple we will keep the OS up to date, activate Firewall (upon request), harden the VPS, etc with Managed. Unmanaged we will provide you root access with the control panel installed and let you do the rest. We end up helping them too with many things but in general we can provide the same type of Managed service you will find from the providers known to do Fully Managed. Currently we don't offer more but with the launch of our new site we will have Managed most likely as an addon for a low fee. Any customer not paying from signing up before the launch of the new site will have it free for the life of the contract. This is b/c we have a price lock guarantee so prices will not just go up out of nowhere.

IP's we do have seperate class c's so we can provide IP's in different blocks. In the comments field please make a note of that.

Hope to see you signup.

-Jay

Jay,

Cool, going to signup NOW (think I still have 25 minutes left :) ). I think the managed vs. unmanaged was reversed but I know what you meant. Thanks again, looking forward to being a client.

David

back to the topic of the thread,

any updates on being able to offer us modernbill? I sure would want one....