Migration, keep IP address?

Charlie Heath

Is it possible to do a VPS migration and keep the existing Knownhost VPS IP address? If so, does the migration have to replace the existing VPS when deployed, or can it be switched over after deployment and testing?

Thanks. I don't have access to all client's DNS without major planning and coordination.

Charlie

Unfortunately it's not possible to keep IPs during a VPS migration/OS upgrade unless it's an in-place re-provisioning which means all data on the VPS is destroyed.

We cannot post-migration swap IPs either.

So long as all domains point to a common set of nameservers that you can control all you have to do is update the IPs associated with these nameservers and not anything on all of the domains.

Thanks for the reply.

Can Knownhost support perform package updates to bring Mysql and PHP up to date on a seasoned CentOS 6 CPanel, and bring other packages up to date?

quick addon question, if I may. If migrating to antother KH VPS, is it possible to bring the same additional IPs along, even though the two dedicated IPs that came with the VPS cannot?

quick addon question, if I may. If migrating to antother KH VPS, is it possible to bring the same additional IPs along, even though the two dedicated IPs that came with the VPS cannot?

I'm afraid our system isn't that flexible to allow us to move specific IP addresses between VPS's. Each IP that is assigned is restricted to that single VPS so it's not possible to move between them.

SSL certificates are not tied up to the IP. They're issued for the domain name, not IP.

I'm afraid our system isn't that flexible to allow us to move specific IP addresses between VPS's. Each IP that is assigned is restricted to that single VPS so it's not possible to move between them.
Ok thanks for the info. Lso basically a new server means all new IPs, even in the same data centre.

Ok thanks for the info. Lso basically a new server means all new IPs, even in the same data centre.

Yes, this is correct. Before the transfer, you might want to lower the TTL values on your DNS records to facilitate a faster DNS propagation.