Migrating... how about nameservers

Torgut

I could ask this to sales support but well, I am in the forum now so here it comes...

I apologize for my ignorance but some concepts are a bit obscure to me... so... I have a VPS in other provider and I do have my own nameservers.

What shall I do - regarding nameservers - for:

1) Move gradually my domains from former provider to KH, let's say, starting with two domains...

2) Finishing migrating the remaining domains in, let's say, one month from now.

Considering my main domain is naturally the one with the nameservers.

P.S. - For nameservers two IP's will be necessary... I assume 2 IP's are included in VPS Plans?

1) It's generally easier DNS-wise to just move them all at once and assuming they're all directed at a single set of nameservers, change the IPs associated with said nameserver. If they're all set to different naneservers that makes it a big easier to move them one by one.

VPSs do come with two IPs and by default we setup nameservers to use two, but they'll function just the same if they're both on the same IP.

I would say that's generally easier to move them all at once, but there are a couple of reasons why I believe I need to move them gradually, or at least in two stages:

1) Having a cautious personality I would like to see how it goes with KH with a couple of domains, eyes kept in the one-month refund policy. Easier to roll back two domains than a whole server huh? :)

2) One of my customers - with 4 or 5 domains - is indeed very delicate and sensitive to e-mail downtime so I would like to process these in a second stage, after checking processes and so.

All my domains are set to my ns1.******.com and ns2.******.com. At this point I apologize but unfortunately I couldn't understand your explanation.

1) ******.com is the main domain in my current provider VPS Server.

2) ns1.******.com and ns2.******.com. are registered with my current registrar.

3) All domains in my Plesk VPS Server are registered with these namservers with their registrars.

4) Most of these domains (if not all, I don't know by heart) are configured to use my VPS Server in my DNS server.

Now, considering this, what should be the time line and sequence of actions on my side? What's puzzling me the most is the master domain... being master I guess (but I am not sure) it has to be the last to be migrated... but then, a new account with KH needs a master domain, and it makes all sense to keep the same one - specially as it is indeed my main domain.

@Torgut

This article may prove beneficial for you: DNS Propagation Delay

This may not be the best method, however my thoughts:

Personally, in your situation, I would consider adding two additional registered nameservers (A Records) on that main domain that point to your new KnownHost VPS. For example, let's say your 'main domain' is www.premaindomain.com. You already have ns1.premaindomain.com and ns2.premaindomain.com that are pointing to the old server. Create two new A records, ns3.premaindomain.com and ns4.premaindomain.com pointing to your KnownHost VPS. Once you're ready to migrate a domain, simply update it's authoritative name server's to ns3.premaindomain.com and ns4.premaindomain.com. Once everything has been moved over, you can update ns1.premaindomain.com and ns2.premaindomain.com to the matching records for ns3.premaindomain.com and ns4.premaindomain.com, then updating the authoritative nameservers back to ns1 and ns2 or leave them as is.

As for your master domain, it's not vital that it be transferred last, however it is vital that which ever service is hosting that domain's DNS have the proper matching NS / A Records. Does that make sense? Further, you can still create the KnownHost account with premaindomain.com as the master/main even if it's still being served remotely for the time being.

My 2c tip: If you are willing, I would highly advise considering cPanel as your Control Panel of choice, especially during a fresh migration.

Great tips! That idea of creating a ns3 and ns4 sounds the key for the problem. I suppose that should be arranged with my registrar. But... if premaindomain.com is in a different VPS server, can I "point" ns3 and ns4 to a new set of IP's with KH? I don't know how, but I will try to figure that out.

I am not following either the explanation about the master domain. It's my fault, I don't fully master some of these concepts. But I guess I can do what you suggest, create the account with KH with my master domain and later on migrate data and mail accounts. No problem.

P.S. - I will NEVER use cPanel. I will rather shut down my business. I totally dislike that toy looking interface, like it was designed in the 90's by a teenager, and I always have a very hard time trying to whatever I need in the structure of cPanel. It would be like living in Hell. Actually what caught my attention in KH in first place was the possibility of having Plesk. :)

P.S. - I will NEVER use cPanel. I will rather shut down my business. I totally dislike that toy looking interface, like it was designed in the 90's by a teenager, and I always have a very hard time trying to whatever I need in the structure of cPanel. It would be like living in Hell. Actually what caught my attention in KH in first place was the possibility of having Plesk. :)

Fair enough, but we've found cPanel to be much more stable and a more solid product in the majority of cases. To each their own ;)

I totally dislike that toy looking interface, like it was designed in the 90's by a teenager
Have you try they new paper lantern themes?

areleases.cpanel.net_wp_content_themes_cPreleasesV14_pub_img_lantern.png

I have to admit that looks awesome, but still, in terms of user friendliness (the logics of where something will be found) my heart is with Plesk... for almost a decade now.

@Torgut

Here's a break down on SOA Records: What is an SOA Record?

I would say that you can update the 4th setting, "The number of seconds before the zone should be refreshed". However it's not necessary. Personally, I have better success flushing DNS cache for the records via Google's Name Servers when I make changes. It seems that a lot of ISP's and DNS server's rely on their information too.

Hummm I did that Google flush but things are becoming very weird. What's happening is that the IP info is advancing and retreating for more than 72 hours. I mean, sometimes a specific domain is resolving to the new server, then to the old server.... then the new, then the old...

I am checking here: https://www.whatsmydns.net/

OK... yesterday I went to sleep and a specific domain had the new IP in 90% of these points. I just woke up, 8 hours later, and the new IP is being resolved in only 15% of these points. This is crazy, I don't understand. Perhaps that website can't be trusted? Humm that would be too easy.

@Torgut

That definitely does seem odd. It's almost impossible to give an answer or possible reasons without knowing the specific domain in reference. However, I certainly understand the desire to not disclose the domain on this public thread. Feel free to shoot a PM to me or see my signature for direct email contact.