Looking to migrate a no-panel red hat vps?

KNC

I'm looking at the fully managed VPS-2 option. I'm currently on a fully-managed vps running red hat without any type of panel. I would like to keep my current system paths and have seen some articles about how this can be done with cpanel (maybe plesk and directadmin).

For example, I'd like to keep

/usr/home/USERNAME/www

instead of

/home/username/public_html

Does anyone have experience or advice about this? Is this something that can be setup after I signup for the vps and then I can just ftp all my files?

Thanks!

Hey @KNC

This *can* be done, however is highly advised to avoid doing so. You could always setup a symlink for /usr/home -> /home but that wouldn't really resolve the public_html vs. www directory issue. If you absolutely must do this, you can always create custom virtualhost templates by following cPanel's official documentation found here: cPanel Custom Virtual Host Templates It can be a little over the top, but if you're familiar with YAML, can be implemented fairly easily.

Hey @KNC

This *can* be done, however is highly advised to avoid doing so. You could always setup a symlink for /usr/home -> /home but that wouldn't really resolve the public_html vs. www directory issue. If you absolutely must do this, you can always create custom virtualhost templates by following cPanel's official documentation found here: cPanel Custom Virtual Host Templates It can be a little over the top, but if you're familiar with YAML, can be implemented fairly easily.

Thank you so much for your reply! Would it be too much to ask you to take a look at this link I found? If this is a solution, then it's really simple using cpanel.

http://blog.servint.net/2012/03/30/the-tech-bench-changing-a-document-root-in-cpanel/

@KNC

Why are you looking to do this? The more you change about the way a panel works, the more risk for issues you have. It's always best to not change such core, important things about a panel.

@KNC

Why are you looking to do this? The more you change about the way a panel works, the more risk for issues you have. It's always best to not change such core, important things about a panel.

As a way to avoid having to change all of the paths referenced/required in all of the files, db's, scripts, etc that I would be moving over... According to KnownHost sales chat, if I migrate over and do not include a panel then I cannot have a managed vps. I would have to have self-managed. So I would have to have a panel installed even though I've never used one. If I could have a vps setup with the same root path, then I could just ftp everything right onto it.

Having static paths in so many places like it sounds like you do is pretty poor coding practice :-/ Generally if static paths are needed it's best to set them once in a config file and use variables throughout your scripts so that this is not an issue ;)

I'm dealing with 20+ years worth of content and config files that use includes and require files. It's not impossible to set it up and then find all the errors and modify the various files, but if I can just change the path in one place then that is definitely something I have to explore. The newer stuff from the past few years would not be much of an issue.

Will it even run on PHP 5.4+?

I'm running PHP Version 5.3.3 right now. I'm looking thru some of these old files and it may be less trouble than I thought. A lot of the static files are using virtual includes so I would just have to keep the same folder structure after the root directory. And there may only be a couple dozen config files to track down and change. Maybe I'll just signup and see how it works out. I might have to reach out to support a few times, especially to migrate my mysql db's. I can upload the rest.

That sounds like a good plan!

Thanks for your assistance. Live chat let me know that free migration would not be included for me because it's not a panel to panel transfer, but that you'll be able to transfer my db's. Is this a one-shot deal, or will you transfer them over when I'm setting up and then again before changing dns without added fees?

If you're just talking about a site or two we'll do it twice for you no problem. When folks have hundreds of sites and want to re-do each one at the time of it's DNS change it can get a bit out of hand.

If you're just talking about a site or two we'll do it twice for you no problem. When folks have hundreds of sites and want to re-do each one at the time of it's DNS change it can get a bit out of hand.

Thanks. It's 8 mysql db's or so, but I might only need 1-2 re-done at the last minute.

I'm about to signup but I have a few final questions.

1. It looks like SSD is only offered in TX location. So if I signup for TX location, can I upgrade to SSD at a later date from the vps-2?

2. Can I upgrade to lightspeed or whmcs at any time or is that upon signup only?

Thanks again!

Thanks. It's 8 mysql db's or so, but I might only need 1-2 re-done at the last minute.

I'm about to signup but I have a few final questions.

1. It looks like SSD is only offered in TX location. So if I signup for TX location, can I upgrade to SSD at a later date from the vps-2?

2. Can I upgrade to lightspeed or whmcs at any time or is that upon signup only?

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it :) Welcome to KnownHost!

1) Yes.

2) Any time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey - I posted to the vps forum but maybe one of you can give me a hand.

Am I expected to do something to the standard/default setup in terms of security, dns settings, a entry, etc or is it good to go right out of the gate?

I setup domains, uploaded all my files, setup email and forwarding and everything has tested ok. I'm just about ready to switch dns at the registrar but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

From what I understand, I'll have to register the private nameserver for my main domain and that could take a few days to go thru.
But can I setup private nameservers for the other domains (all on the same IP) or do they all have to use the same/primary nameserver info?

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks