InnoDB disabled for you? try this..

Stephen Schmitt

Hi folks,

I'm new to knownhost and VPS hosting in general.. and am preparing to migrate my website over from another shared hosting provider.

I thought I would post here an interesting dilemma and how I solved it because I bet it affects others here:

After first logging in, I found that MySQL didn't support the InnoDB storage engine on my new vps server, which is a major problem as I need the transactional/acid support that it provides. After quite a bit of poking around and googling ( getting used to having root access!) I finally found the mysql errorlog files and the reason for the problem.

In the log file was these lines:

Code:
130430 21:43:51 InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
130430 21:43:51  InnoDB: Warning: io_setup() failed with EAGAIN. Will make 5 attempts before giving up.
InnoDB: Warning: io_setup() attempt 1 failed.
InnoDB: Warning: io_setup() attempt 2 failed.
InnoDB: Warning: io_setup() attempt 3 failed.
InnoDB: Warning: io_setup() attempt 4 failed.
InnoDB: Warning: io_setup() attempt 5 failed.
130430 21:43:53  InnoDB: Error: io_setup() failed with EAGAIN after 5 attempts.
InnoDB: You can disable Linux Native AIO by setting innodb_use_native_aio = 0 in my.cnf
130430 21:43:53 InnoDB: Fatal error: cannot initialize AIO sub-system
130430 21:43:53 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' init function returned error.
130430 21:43:53 [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' registration as a STORAGE ENGINE failed.

Taking that advice and editing the etc/my.cnf file to add the innodb_use_native_aio = 0 line and and restarting the mysql service fixed the problem.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else is having this problem! I'm sure there's a better solution than just disabling the native_aio, but the above got me up and running...

Another on here where InnoDB was showing as disabled with no apparent way of fixing it except for adding "innodb_use_native_aio=0" to my /etc/my.cnf file & restarting the mysql service. :(

Any thoughts on if there are any performance issues if we were to use InnoDB tables with that option turned off?

Another on here where InnoDB was showing as disabled with no apparent way of fixing it except for adding "innodb_use_native_aio=0" to my /etc/my.cnf file & restarting the mysql service. :(

Any thoughts on if there are any performance issues if we were to use InnoDB tables with that option turned off?

I did a ton of research on this particular case and wasn't ever able to locate anything leading me to believe that the "innodb_use_native_aio" hurts performance in any way.

I did a ton of research on this particular case and wasn't ever able to locate anything leading me to believe that the "innodb_use_native_aio" hurts performance in any way.
Thanks. :) From reading up on the issue it appears that having it turned will use simulated AIO versus hardware enabled AIO and since hardware support is new as of InnoDB 1.1 then it is no worse than before with having it turned off.

As for why it was causing problems, at least on my VPS build it appears that AIO native may have been defaulted as true but libaio is not installed which it requires.