How's Cpanel 11?

its going to be a few weeks before it is stable, the loose schedule is here

more important is the build tree, which shows the current available versions: here

Thanks magic for the info.

I read on another forum that the stable date keeps on getting pushed off. I guess we'll just have to wait till they finally release it to stable.

I see now that the first stage is now stable.

How's it doing now?

I love it, Cpanel 11 is a large improvement over Cpanel 10. If I ever have a problem I pop over to the Cpanel.net forums. I've used Plesk quite extensively, but there is no way I'd go back now. I've never had a complaint from any of my clients about anything Cpanel related, plus I've located a very handy selection of scripts that I've installed into WHM which makes my 'hosting' life so much easier.

I've also recently started using WHMCS and I find the integration between it and Cpanel 11 is excellent, which also makes my hosting life easier.

What specifically do you like better about Cpanel? I'm very curious to know as I think I might switch soon.

That's a hard one to answer PPC because I haven't used / seen PLESK for over 12 months. I was originally on a reseller package that used PLESK. My (Australian) host then decided that they were going to close all their USA servers and I had 2 weeks to find a new host and transfer accounts. I ended up on a Cpanel server (Cpanel 10) and because I had to move a lot of accounts / setup databases etc, I got to know Cpanel pretty well. PLESK had never grown on me and was fairly slow and sluggish, but Cpanel seemed quicker.

Since then I've gone from a dedicated server --> VPS and found that Cpanel meets all of my needs, particularly the transfer of accounts between servers. My clients seem to love it and I think the only Cpanel questions I get are in relation to webmail and setting up Spam Assassin.

Pete M

I've been running the current tree with automatic updates for a few months now. Stage 2 was released a couple of weeks ago and I upgraded to Apache 2 the very same day. I did have a problem which KH support fixed for me and then I found I had enabled a module in that stated not compatible with Zend Optimizer (DOH) so be sure to read all the text in parentheses.

But other than that it's been working flawlessly. It does use a bit more ram but I never see it get anywhere near using all of it. Typically I see no less than 85 megs free and a huge part of that is because of Clamav and ASSP.

If you make manual modifications to your httpd.conf there is a command to run to commit them to a database so that they won't be lost. I have seen this fail once so be sure to save them someplace else too.

Switching between PHP modes (default php version, suexec on/off, suphp, dso, cgi, fcgi) are all super easy now by going to "Configure PHP and SuExec" and no longer requires a full recompile.

Also you can save multiple easyapache 3 profiles too so it will recall all your settings for you whereas before it was simply "load previous configuration".

Any more questions or info I can give please let me know :)