Howdy Folks

Big Dan

Hi Guys,

I'm Dan Hutter from New York. I host a few client's websites as well as my own websites and forums. I'm pretty new to Known Host, been here a couple of weeks after another VPS provider dropped the ball and had my sites down for over 24 hours.

So far everything has been great and I'm looking forward to moving a few more sites over to my VPS here at KH.

Hi Dan,

Welcome to KnownHost! I'm glad to hear everything is going well for you and hope you have a long and pleasant experience with us.

Howdy Big Dan
asea_eaglecam.org_forums_Smileys_default_wavey.gif

Glad to see you joined up with us. Sorry to hear about your downtime with your other provider... you're in GREAT hands now though!

Hey Dan, it's good to see you. I think you'll enjoy doing business with KnownHost. Last month, I celebrated five years with them and I still have no intention of ever leaving. You likely won't need to contact support very often, but they will amaze you with the service they provide, if it ever happens.

Azhria Lilu is around here, somewhere, as well.

Hey Dan, it's good to see you. I think you'll enjoy doing business with KnownHost. Last month, I celebrated five years with them and I still have no intention of ever leaving. You likely won't need to contact support very often, but they will amaze you with the service they provide, if it ever happens.

Azhria Lilu is around here, somewhere, as well.

Hi Mike,

Good to see a familiar face. :) It seems these days I spent more time moving between hosts then adding features to my boards. :eek: Hopefully with KH that's the end of that shenanigans.

We have to talk Linux one of these days. What distro are ya running? Ubuntu 13.04 is in a word -- yuck.

Big Dan,

No worries you're home now. We work very hard to ensure each client has the best experience possible. While it is true we may not be able to make everyone happy, that doesn't stop us from trying.

It seems these days I spent more time moving between hosts then adding features to my boards. Hopefully with KH that's the end of that shenanigans.
It is, trust me. Tech support here is incredible. From sales to support, I think everyone at KnownHost understand the concept that providing customer service is a vital part of attracting and retaining customers.

We have to talk Linux one of these days. What distro are ya running? Ubuntu 13.04 is in a word -- yuck.
I am still running with Ikey Doherty and SolusOS. Actually, this machine is running the discontinued, Debian-based, Alpha 7 version of SolusOS 2. We're getting really close to a brand new release of SolusOS 2. This one has been built from the ground up and is not based on, or forked from anything. It will have the Consort desktop, with the GNOME 2 look and feel, but is still based on GTK3 components. And it will also be using the PiSi package manager, which is a real break-away from anything SolusOS has used to date. I've never strayed too far away from Debian, but I like Ikey's style, so I'm sticking with him.

It looks like Canonical needs to get their collective heads out of that dark place, because their userbase is rapidly diminishing. I think Shuttleworth wants to get himself in the phone market, ala Steve Jobs, whether he loses his desktop users or not.

Dan, here is a perfect example of the level of service KnownHost provides.

Last night, a PHP upgrade left my XenForo site broken in two. Hindsight being what it is, the solution now seems simple, but it had me stymied. I submitted a ticket at 10:15 PM. At 10:19, I had an e-mail notification saying Support was logging onto the server. Four minutes!

And the tech (Jared) worked with me for the next five hours, getting things squared away. (The upgrade had somehow smacked both APC and Memcached, which we never really understood.) When we finally got everything put back together, I thanked Jared for his determination and his help. His response was that he was glad to hear I was happy with the outcome and that it had been no problem, at all.

See why I've been with KH as long as I have? Unparalleled customer service will win out, every time.

Mike,

I'm glad Jared took good care of you. I'll be sure to let him know about this thread :)

I'm curious though, how did you go about upgrading PHP that broke APC and memcache?

I'm curious though, how did you go about upgrading PHP that broke APC and memcache?
I'll be quite honest in saying I have no clue. Actually, I don't know Jared fully understood it. I was upgrading from the command line, and suddenly APC was gone and the memcached extension wasn't loading. And, naturally, there were no errors showing in the logs. When Jared noticed APC wasn't there, it dawned on us that my forum was configured to use caching. Jared thought I was configured to use APC in the forum's caching scheme, but it was actually Memcached. (I just use APC for opcode caching, with no definitions in the forums configuration file.) When I could access the forums again, I checked the error logs there and found 2,105 errors on the Memcached extension not being loaded. I flagged Jared up and we just focused on fixing things, rather than sorting why they weren't working.

Jared really was super with all his help. Everyone at KH has always been super, but Jared really soldiered through the wee hours of the morning. And then had the grace to pass it off as no big deal. From the response to my very first e-mail asking questions about possibly moving to KH (I think the lassie's name was Jennifer), to Jared's efforts last evening, I've always been impressed with how well I've been treated as a KH customer.

It is, trust me. Tech support here is incredible. From sales to support, I think everyone at KnownHost understand the concept that providing customer service is a vital part of attracting and retaining customers.

I am still running with Ikey Doherty and SolusOS. Actually, this machine is running the discontinued, Debian-based, Alpha 7 version of SolusOS 2. We're getting really close to a brand new release of SolusOS 2. This one has been built from the ground up and is not based on, or forked from anything. It will have the Consort desktop, with the GNOME 2 look and feel, but is still based on GTK3 components. And it will also be using the PiSi package manager, which is a real break-away from anything SolusOS has used to date. I've never strayed too far away from Debian, but I like Ikey's style, so I'm sticking with him.

It looks like Canonical needs to get their collective heads out of that dark place, because their userbase is rapidly diminishing. I think Shuttleworth wants to get himself in the phone market, ala Steve Jobs, whether he loses his desktop users or not.
Thanks Mike. You're the one who told me about SolusOS or I read it on your blog. I'd forgotten all about it. Mint with the cinnamon desktop was nice for a while. I'll have to give it another shot but I'll look more closely at Solus first.

Ubuntu is just ridiculous. I installed 13.04 on my quad core with 16 GB of RAM and it felt sluggish. Forget about installing it in VirtualBox. 12.04 was was the last decent release in my book.

Down with Ubuntu :)

I've not tried Mint. I've actually not tried many desktop distro's at all.

We've got a couple of guys here at the office that run Arch, one guy that's an Ubuntu fan but runs Fedora, and the rest of us run Fedora.

Down with Ubuntu
+1

I cut my Linux teeth on Ubuntu, but it didn't take long to learn there other distros to better fit my needs.

I've not tried Mint. I've actually not tried many desktop distro's at all.
I always found Mint to be very friendly. I have always said I want my operating system to work for me, rather than me having to work on it. I ran Mint and Linux Mint Debian Edition for a long time, before switching everything over to SolusOS.

I installed Fedora, at one time. After spending 2 hours, trying to get it to recognize my sound card and printer, I realized I could install anything and have it running in less time. So Fedora got ditched.

One of these days, I would like to spend some time with Arch, or maybe Gentoo. It looks like both would be good learning tools. I find myself wanting to learn more about the nuts and bolts holding Linux together.

I've run quite a few distros on the desktop but always fell back on Ubuntu because for the most part it just worked. Ever since they introduced the Unity interface I was turned off. The last release with all Amazon advertising in Ubuntu really turned me off.

TBH, Windows 7 just work for me - I don't have any real issues with but prefer to run Linux just for the security aspect. I'm going to check out SolusOS though.

Might want to have a dabble in this then: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I know Marjorie from support has dabbled with this a good bit.
Thanks for the link, Jonathon! People always say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but this dog isn't as old as people think! ;)

I've run quite a few distros on the desktop but always fell back on Ubuntu because for the most part it just worked. Ever since they introduced the Unity interface I was turned off. The last release with all Amazon advertising in Ubuntu really turned me off.

TBH, Windows 7 just work for me - I don't have any real issues with but prefer to run Linux just for the security aspect. I'm going to check out SolusOS though.
I used to be a very regular distro hopper, a couple years back. But I noticed I never got too far away from Debian, without drawing back to it. I'm wondering what the NextGen SolusOS 2 will be like, using the PiSi package manager, after getting so used to APT for all these years. But yeah, I've run Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Mint, Mint Debian Edition, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, etc. I landed on SolusOS, a year ago March. and that is where I have remained.

Dan, just remember, SolusOS is currently in a state of flux. SolusOS 1.3 Eveline was based on Squeeze, which is now 'oldstable', since Wheezy's release. So, if you do download SolusOS 1.3, you will need to be sure you lock it against Squeeze, to prevent it from trying to upgrade itself to Wheezy. Which would turn it into a brick.

I am running SolusOS 2 Alpha 7 on all my machines, which was based on Wheezy. But since the direction has changed and the decision was made to do a ground-up build of the NextGen SolusOS 2, the Alpha 7 .iso is no longer available.

As for the direction Ubuntu is heading, it is pretty obvious a lot of -untu users are looking for something better. I'm like you, Unity has nothing to attract me. I love the Solus Desktop Environment (or Consort), because I still have all the GNOME 2 feel, but with GTK3 components.

Lately I'm just too busy to muck around with Linux distros. It's always a headache to get my dual monitors working correctly but once SolusOS settles down and I have some time (which seems like never) I'll poke around with it.

I've tried the KDE desktop a couple of times -- I could never wrap my head around it.

Dan, I could never really put my finger on it, but KDE always had that ponderous, Windows feel to it. I ran Cinnamon, when I was still using Mint, and rather liked it. But I still think Ikey knocked it out of the park with the Consort desktop in SolusOS.

Hi Big Dan,

I'm new here as well and am looking forward to interacting with KH community.Hopefully, you guys can look over my shoulder a little while I gain some VPS experience.

Speaking of Linux, I tried many distros in my early days and finally settled on Fedora Core 5. I'm currently using F18 and have been very happy with my Fedora experience. I use LWM and MATE, which has been stable as a rock in F18. I'm not a fan of Gnome3 and its various incarnations.