Exciting Changes at KnownHost & cPanel Pricing

Has Dallas VPSs been moved yet, I did a tracert and it appears my IP is still going through the COLO4 in Dallas but then goes to GA (it never used to do this) but my port speed doesn't seem any faster than it was (still appears to be at 100 Mbps vs the new 200 Mbps that it is supposed to be in Atlanta.

Has Dallas VPSs been moved yet, I did a tracert and it appears my IP is still going through the COLO4 in Dallas but then goes to GA (it never used to do this) but my port speed doesn't seem any faster than it was (still appears to be at 100 Mbps vs the new 200 Mbps that it is supposed to be in Atlanta.

We're in the process of moving VPSs from Dallas which means there's an IP tunnel active routing through through Dallas, then to Atlanta. Once the migration is complete we'll remove the IP tunnel and traffic will route directly to Atlanta. Port speeds in some cases won't be increased until the migrations are complete in the next month or two. Some are being increased as we go, it just depends on the service type and several other factors.

We're in the process of moving VPSs from Dallas which means there's an IP tunnel active routing through through Dallas, then to Atlanta. Once the migration is complete we'll remove the IP tunnel and traffic will route directly to Atlanta. Port speeds in some cases won't be increased until the migrations are complete in the next month or two. Some are being increased as we go, it just depends on the service type and several other factors.
Ok, thanks. Is there anything I can do to see if I can get my port speed increased sooner than later?

Yours has already been increased. Outbound traffic from your VPS (what serving web traffic/downloads mostly is) will already operate at 200Mbps. Due to the tunnel inbound traffic (ie if you were uploading files) will still be limited until the tunnel is removed from the equation.

Hello to all,

i need to move to DirectAdmin because my yearly subscription is up for renewal -- though i guess i'll probably just renew and move to DirectAdmin after..

But i do have 3 rather important questions:
- Does DirectAdmin use Dovecot? (i think it does)
- If so, will the transfer from cPanel to DA preserve the message UUIDs? If so, this should mean that users will not end up re-downloading old emails..
- Finally, is it possible to set email compression to a higher level in DA before copying over all the old emails so that they too can benefit from higher compression?

Thank you!

Hey @petersconsult
But i do have 3 rather important questions:
- Does DirectAdmin use Dovecot? (i think it does)
Yes, DirectAdmin uses Dovecot for mailbox management.

- If so, will the transfer from cPanel to DA preserve the message UUIDs? If so, this should mean that users will not end up re-downloading old emails..
The transfer should keep the UUID's, yes. I haven't heard any issues or complaints about this yet.

- Finally, is it possible to set email compression to a higher level in DA before copying over all the old emails so that they too can benefit from higher compression?
What do you mean to a higher level? Right now, DirectAdmin does allow compressing emails as they arrive with the custombuild option "mail_compress=yes".

If you need to compress current mail files, DirectAdmin has a script located at /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/dovecot_compress.sh which you can run as root via the CLI.

Thank you so much for all those answers, it really helps!

Just on the last question, in WHM you can set a 0-9 compression level for emails:
WHM >> Home >> Service Configuration >> Mailserver Configuration >> Compression Level

Thank you again for the help!

PS: it's wonderful that DA has a script to compress emails; to my knowledge, WHM does not :)

• Managed VPS - We will continue to make strides to maintain and expand our managed VPS product line. As part of this transition and upgrade we will be doubling your VPS's network port speed free of charge! Also as some customers have noticed we have already begun to upgrade to the latest version of OVZ7 as the back bone of our managed VPS product line. This upgrade provides a much newer kernel and a better overall hosting experience with better compatibility for CentOS 7.x as well as CentOS 8.0. Coupled with the much needed network upgrades, this will allow us to address a key request from our customers and that is an external backup solution. We expect this to be available to customers later this year to allow for a much more refined remote backup system which is user controllable, giving you the power to more easily execute a backup or restoration of your individual user accounts within your server.

Sorry if I missed something, but are there any updates on the external backup solution?

We've also got a pre-release going for JetBackup licenses which you can add per server as well. We use this software for our Shared & Reseller clients and it does have some nice features and really handles incremental backups very well. Those licenses are $5.95 a server.

Thanks!

Quick questions:
  • Isn't the JetBackup software still in alpha for Direct Admin?
  • Are you offering any guarantees about its efficacy while it's still in alpha?
  • Are you offering any discounts on yearly subscriptions? (on the backup product itself and/or on the JetBackup license.)
  • How does one sign up for the JetBackup software? (it's not listed as an addon when filling out the purchase form for the backup product.)
Regards

Howdy!

• Isn't the JetBackup software still in alpha for Direct Admin?
  • Are you offering any guarantees about its efficacy while it's still in alpha?

That's correct, it is alpha at the moment but we're anticipating it will be released as a more stable version in the next 1-2 months. At this time we can't guarantee it for DA. It's core functionality on how it backs up files hasn't changed, so it's more about the tight integration with DA like it has with cPanel.

• Are you offering any discounts on yearly subscriptions? (on the backup product itself and/or on the JetBackup license.)

At this time we aren't offering any term discounts, we've priced the backup space very competitively for our users. We also take ownership over the license so JetBackup purchased from us comes with a higher level of support than if you purchased it directly, and for our managed clients it's an extension of what we can help manage for them.

• How does one sign up for the JetBackup software? (it's not listed as an addon when filling out the purchase form for the backup product.)

Right now we don't have automated ordering for JetBackup. Simply toss an email/ticket over to our billing department and we can add a license for it. Once jetBackup is fully adopted for DA then we'll add it to the automated ordering and it will be a configurable option for all supported product types.

Thanks!

When tracking my IP address the trace is still showing Dallas TX, do you have an idea when the migration will be completed?

When tracking my IP address the trace is still showing Dallas TX, do you have an idea when the migration will be completed?

The migrations have actually been complete for a a while now. We did retain a few old host names for clarity sake depending on the service so people wouldn't need to enter new ones but everything is physically in Atlanta and has been for months. It also could be an outdated geo-location database. Those randomly update and aren't too reliable to determine where something actually is.