Creating accounts/domains

Hi Dave and welcome to KH! :D

I did that too ... so I went back with "Modify An Account", but can't seem where to fix it. Any ideas?

What this does is put the nameservers that the domain is configured for at the registrar into your local DNS zone file. If you still have your old nameservers configured there then that is what will go into your zone file. The only way to rectify this is to edit the DNS zone file and put the new nameservers into it.

Be sure to create A records for the host and for your nameservers.
I don't know what those are or how to do that. Can you elaborate?

At the time that I wrote this guide when a new KH VPS was commissioned and you first logged into it you would automatically be walked through an initial configuration. At end of this configuration you would be asked if you wanted to create A records for your nameservers. If you don't have these your DNS can have issues. If you didn't get prompted to go through this step you can add them by logging into your WHM and going to Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup. All the way at the bottom your DNS servers should be listed along with two buttons. One of these buttons is Add an A entry for this nameserver. Simply click that button for each of your nameservers and a zone file will be created for each of your nameservers.

In WHM go to Packages and run Add Packages.
Do we really need to do this? I just created an account and specified this info then.

No you do not really need to do this. This simply gives you preconfigured packages that you can assign to new accounts when you create them rather than having to go through and configured all the options for each one every time :)

If you have not changed the nameservers at your registrar then you should do so now and point them to your own local nameservers and then after a day or two your domain/account should be fully functional.
Kind of like what I was saying about knownhost's email "your first steps should be: [point your nameservers to us]". Probably want to copy the website over first, then do that. Also, if it was built on a template then it's better to start with a fresh template and re-customize it with one's content if there's a chance that the old site was hacked. Sometimes backdoors are hard to find, and would be terrible to copy one over to the new server. (a ton more work though, but can be worth the peace of mind).

No guide can cover every possible scenario for every person. I've edited the original so that this will hopefully be more clear ;)

I might add, for other newbies ... the default setting for the server configuration doesn't allow you to view your website by typing in the IP into your browser. You'll just get a 404 error. Here's how to preview the site before redirecting the nameserver:

https://www.knownhost.com/wiki/dns/...nging-the-dns?s[]=before&s[]=changing&s[]=dns

You will want to use the system hosts file method (you edit the host file on your own local machine, you do not change the server). It's a way of fooling your local PC so you can type the domain name into your browser and it interacts with the website as if it's accessing the website through the domain name, which makes the 404 error go away and shows the website (but of course, only on your machine).

Last edited:
Hi Dave!

I might add, for other newbies ... the default setting for the server configuration doesn't allow you to view your website by typing in the IP into your browser. You'll just get a 404 error. Here's how to preview the site before redirecting the nameserver:

https://www.knownhost.com/wiki/dns/...nging-the-dns?s[]=before&s[]=changing&s[]=dns

You will want to use the system hosts file method (you edit the host file on your own local machine, you do not change the server). It's a way of fooling your local PC so you can type the domain name into your browser and it interacts with the website as if it's accessing the website through the domain name, which makes the 404 error go away and shows the website (but of course, only on your machine).

Using the tilde method will actually work better and is actually the only way if there are multiple accounts on the server. I'll add a link to KH's wiki in the original post ;)

FWIW, cPanel was available for me through https://###.###.###.###:2082, not https://###.###.###.###:2083.

Port 2082 is the non-SSL port. Port 2083 is the SSL port. Personally I disable access to the non-SSL port by automatically forwarding all of them to the SSL ports which is an option in WHM. I recommend always using the SSL port of course :)

Port 2082 is the non-SSL port. Port 2083 is the SSL port. Personally I disable access to the non-SSL port by automatically forwarding all of them to the SSL ports which is an option in WHM. I recommend always using the SSL port of course :)

Nice tip Dan. Thanks!

Hoping for a little help here. I just switched from one server to my Knownhost Ded. Server. However, I am not certain as to what the MX Records should display. Unfortunately, I cannot use the name servers which would make everything easy because it is conflicting with the previous hosting company that has the same exact name server names. Therefore, I am forced until the other is cancelled to update the A Record and MX records for e-mail. I am using Go DAddy as the Registrar. Any insight on what the email server name is would be appreciated

Hello creyesx6,

The MX record is typically set to the domain name of each account.

The nameservers having the same name will be a bit more involved however. What I have had to do in the past is create new ones (ie: if the old ones are NS1 & NS2 then make news ones NS3 & NS4) and change the accounts on your new server to use these new ones. These nameservers of course need to be registered at Godaddy and then created on your new server then the accounts should be changed to use them instead of the old ones.

I would say that your MX records are not the issue your nameservers are. Until the new nameservers propagate you might need to have your customers continue using the old server for their email or even run both until everything propagates.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very Much Dan. I am going to do just that. I will use ns3 and ns4. This saves a ton of headaches. Thanks so much!

None of these methods is actually working for me ...

I am confused about creating the A Records in the initial setup.
When I go there to create the A Records, there's an IP address in there that I do not know. It is surely not one of the IPs that was assigned to my VPS.
I guess it is the IP of the compute I am working on right now.
Somewhere it says not to change the default resovers. Does that refer to these?? Or do I have to enter my assigned IPs? I did that of course as it seemed logical to me. But my domain is not resolving.

When I go there to create the A Records, there's an IP address in there that I do not know. It is surely not one of the IPs that was assigned to my VPS.
I guess it is the IP of the compute I am working on right now.

What IP are you seeing, and what screen are you in when you attempt to do this? If you setup a brand new account on your VPS; it should of been created with the server IPs.

VPS from the US - KnownHost.com.

Hi Jonathan, I got it sorted out with support help, thank you! Seems like I went wrong from the very beginning