cPanel VPS Optimized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated my current build today and thought I would go look under Update Config for VPS Optimized. Didn't see it in there but then I noticed at the top the logo now said WHM VPS Optimized!

Nice how it just did it but kind of strange too as I would expect it to be an option I have to select someplace but it wasn't.

Memory and CPU usage seem to be about the same for me so far. Will see how it does over some time.

Dan, don't be confused by the X3 template header, VPS Optimized is still not released. Just the X3 template was updated.

Am I the only one this impatient? I keep refreshing my cpanel changelog rss feed. LOL

Dan, don't be confused by the X3 template header, VPS Optimized is still not released. Just the X3 template was updated.

Am I the only one this impatient? I keep refreshing my cpanel changelog rss feed. LOL

Are you sure it was just the template? How do you know?

I know it's in the Edge build. I thought it was in the Current build as well. No idea.

Really! Well I can attest to lower cPanel memory usage but perhaps that can be attributed to the new tailwatchd which I see running.

Guess it will only get better then :D

This was just pushed out today by cPanel to the RELEASE builds.

On my server (a unique case, every case is different) I saw a memory usage reduction from before the upgrade to after of ~110MB. Needless to say I am very impressed.

I installed 11.23-RELEASE yesterday with no problems, The memory usage reduction is noticeable and roundcube works just fine.

This was just pushed out today by cPanel to the RELEASE builds.

On my server (a unique case, every case is different) I saw a memory usage reduction from before the upgrade to after of ~110MB. Needless to say I am very impressed.

mabkil,

You're lucky... Our support is being flooded today with various post-upgrade issues and questions. Most common support tickets are:
- RVskin is completely broken and needs to be reinstalled with fresh (fixed) build;
- Home, logout, etc menu is gone in top frame in WHM if accessed with MS IE. It does show up just fine in Firefox;
- All these emails about expired / soon to be expired certificates for local services;
- Reports about broken perl modules installation.

Plus a whole bunch of other problem reports but the 4 mentioned above are most popular. I guess we processed the same amount of tickets today as we usually do in a week. I'm afraid to even think about how many more tickets we'll receive as based on previous experience we usually flooded with support tickets for at least a week after "broken" update gets released.

mabkil,

You're lucky... Our support is being flooded today with various post-upgrade issues and questions. Most common support tickets are:
- RVskin is completely broken and needs to be reinstalled with fresh (fixed) build;
- Home, logout, etc menu is gone in top frame in WHM if accessed with MS IE. It does show up just fine in Firefox;
- All these emails about expired / soon to be expired certificates for local services;

Plus a whole bunch of other problem reports but the 4 mentioned above are most popular. I guess we processed the same amount of tickets today as we usually do in a week. I'm afraid to even think about how many more tickets we'll receive as based on previous experience we usually flooded with support tickets for at least a week after "broken" update gets released.

I guess this is why we want to wait for builds to become stable before upgrading. I've only been with cPanel a few months now, but have you seen stable "broken" releases being pushed out as well? Or are they usually good by then?

ppc,

Yeah, I've seen many various things in this life :) including broken updates in the STABLE tree. Most bloody example would be cPanel v11 release.

Yeah, I forgot one more common item - MySQL is being incorrectly restarted by upcp which leads to MySQL service being unavailable until it is manually restarted. Doesn't seem to happen everywhere but I counted about 20 tickets today with the content similar to "all my databases are gone, all my sites are down".

ppc,

Yeah, I've seen many various things in this life :) including broken updates in the STABLE tree. Most bloody example would be cPanel v11 release.

It beats Plesk though :p

Yeah, I forgot one more common item - MySQL is being incorrectly restarted by upcp which leads to MySQL service being unavailable until it is manually restarted. Doesn't seem to happen everywhere but I counted about 20 tickets today with the content similar to "all my databases are gone, all my sites are down".

Oh man. Kudos to you guys.

Potential help

mabkil,

After the upgrade, my users could no longer get into cPanel because of an older version of RVSkin... A google search brought up this thread as the first item on "cpanel vps optimized rvskin errors"

I happen to have several VPS accounts with Knownhost and thought I would provide the solution I followed to resolve these issues...

In my setup, all my servers use RVSkin with one serving as master and the others as slave - so I found out the hard way that I needed to upgrade the master RVskin install first so the database would be compatible with the new versions once they are installed...

I simply ran /root/rvadmin/update_autoinstaller.pl which did everything for me except in one instance where the perl script wouldn't run, in which case I followed the install instructions from rvskin.com which resolved the issue. The commands that I got from their site are:

mkdir /root/rvadmin; cd /root/rvadmin; wget http://download.rvglobalsoft.com/download.php/download/rvskin-auto/saveto/rvauto.tar.bz2; bunzip2 -d rvauto.tar.bz2; tar -xvf rvauto.tar; perl /root/rvadmin/auto_rvskin.pl

(all on one line)

I haven't noticed any other errors (yet) and the MySQL errors may have been bypassed since I had recently upgraded it previously.

I hope this helps someone else in my situation!

-Kris

mabkil,

Regarding the top frame of WHM, I recommend clearing the browser cache then reloading the page. In the past, there have been issues with web browsers using an old cached stylesheet to display the updated interface, causing unusual issues that we are unable to reproduce here at cPanel.

Notifications of expiring/expired SSL certificates is a new feature in cPanel 11.23 as noted in the release notes (also available on blog.cpanel.net).

The issues that we were made aware of regarding Perl modules have been resolved in build 24909 (available on EDGE, CURRENT and RELEASE).

As for any third party plug-ins such as RVSkins, Fantastico etc., I recommend keeping informed via their changelogs and release notes. For example, RVSkins noted this issue about 11.23 on their changelog back on May 26.

WOW check that out! Someone from cPanel frequenting KH forums! :D

VERY cool and thanks Dave!

Status
Not open for further replies.