Cores VS Threads

digitalsmokes

I was just wondering, in contemplating the future need to upgrade to dedicated, which I would gladly stay with KnownHost, since they have been great, but on the VPS plans, they are advertised as 24+ Cores. I'm not complaining about performance, but I am a little concerned if KH is setting it self up to get in trouble for false advertising. The dedicated that KH offers max out at 12 real cores. With Hyperthreading are the 12 cores showing up as 24 cores, when in fact there are only 12 cores? I believe the answer is yes. Hyperthreading doesn't magically double your cores, the performance isn't double as it would be with 12 cores VS 6 cores, it is doubling the threads, but in Linux each thread, misleadingly, and for some technical reason beyond my knowledge, shows each thread as a core. So isn't it kind of misleading to advertising the VPS plans as running on 24+ cores, unless somehow they actually are running on 24 cores?

Please enlighten me.

That's the reason "Equal Share" is below that. You get an equal share of those CPUs depending on the number of other VPS' on that server.

Edit: I see what you mean. Yea, it probably should say "Cores" rather than CPUs.

Equal Share sure, I understand that, but isn't it really sharing 12 Cores or 24 Threads, and not 24 Cores? There is quite a difference

In our newest nodes we're running dual E5-2620 v3 CPUs which are hex-core CPUs. They have 6 physical cores with HT you end up with what appears in Linux as 24 cores on the node (although it's physically 12 cores broken down into 24 threads).

It's not intended to be false advertising at all. People asking what comes with what package 99% of the time base their questions on how many "cores" appear under /proc/cpuinfo.

The technicalities you brought forward are correct, but it's pretty split across the industry with people calling threads cores, and those who valiantly fight against such practice.

If it is generally accepted usage in advertising or at least 50% accepted, then I would agree that it is reasonable to use that phrasing, and again, I have no complaints about the performance