[Coming Soon] SSD VPS in East & West Coast Datacenters

KH-Jonathan

CTO
Staff member
We're happy to announce that we're in the final phases of deploying our SSD infrastructure in both the East Coast and West Coast datacenters! Soon customers in these datacenters will be able to purchase and/or migrate to VPSs based on blazing fast pure-SSD RAID 10 arrays just like our customers with SSD VPSs in our Dallas, TX location have been experiencing since 2013.

You can read about our SSD VPS plans here: https://www.knownhost.com/managed-ssd-vps-packages.html

We're anticipating these product lines being available beginning on or by November 1, 2015.

UPDATE: SSD VPS packages are now available in our East and West coast facilities.

Last edited:
How about for Dedi's? Or, would/could you customize my current one to add an SSD? :cool:

Absolutely! Open up a billing ticket, we offer a full range of SSDs.

EDIT: Absolutely that they can be outfitted with SSDs. Dedicated servers are still only available in TX and there are no plans for this to change.

I just contacted KnownHost support to upgrade from VPS to SSD VPS and they mentioned that the East Coast datacenter will be available soon. I can't wait to migrate.

We'd like to migrate, but I am concerned about downtime and also possible incompatibilities with the new node. Can the migration be done by first migrating the data, then testing if everything works on the new node and only if all is fine then switch to the new node and destroy the old one?

Basically we are willing to migrate and pay more, but we are afraid about possible problems...

@Karlis how I have seen this work in the past is that you would purchase the new VPS and then you could take as long as you want between the purchase of the new and decommission of the old so you could do whatever testing you wanted. If you want KH to do the transfer for you then you will want to be sure to tell them that you don't want the old one to be put out of service yet.

I will also point out that many modern websites do not work very well (or at all in some cases) without DNS having been switched over so this could be an issue for you as well.

Hope that helps!

Dan, thanks for the info!

Actually for us it is crucial to keep the IPs. It is the single most important thing for us. Can this be done (within the same data center, of course)?

If the transfer is done by KH, how long would it take?

@Karlis

If the transfer is within the same DC to keep the IP's we would perform what is called a live migration, your container is sync'd across to the new SSD node, paused briefly on the old node for a final sync to be performed and then brought online on the new node.

This can only be done within the same datacenter and not across datacenters but it allows you to retain the IP address as well as an identical copy of your VPS.

Take your time, we do not want anything to be rushed. Spin it up, test it and if all is well, we shall go for it.

I understand, you will have enough spare parts on-side to mitigate any failures with the new tech?

Take your time, we do not want anything to be rushed. Spin it up, test it and if all is well, we shall go for it.

I understand, you will have enough spare parts on-side to mitigate any failures with the new tech?

Always. We always keep hardware on hand to replace dead hardware and entirely empty systems with which we can swap/move things as needed in emergencies.

Just upgraded today. Huge improvement can be observed on IO-heavy operations. For example, if we have to delete cache of 100000 files at once, on SSD VPS it takes 2 seconds without affecting anything else while on our old VPS it took 20x more time + caused noticeable whole-server slowdown as the operation bottlenecked IO flow for everybody.

So far very happy with the performance.