ColdFusion?

Turns out I may not even be getting that client that needed CF hosting. :( I had no idea they were expecting to pay me in peanuts. They expected me to learn their custom program and migrate it and host it for near nothing with $0 for the upfront work. lol. My fault for not discussing that sooner, but learning a new trade is always beneficial. ;)

Had to rant about it somewhere, and I've not involved anyone else but on this forum. :rolleyes:

I had no idea they were expecting to pay me in peanuts. They expected me to learn their custom program and migrate it and host it for near nothing with $0 for the upfront work. lol.
Was it the usual pitch of "Except almost no money now but if you do a good job then we might have more projects for you in the future!"? It is depressing how often people accept those kinds of offers.

Was it the usual pitch of "Except almost no money now but if you do a good job then we might have more projects for you in the future!"? It is depressing how often people accept those kinds of offers.
Of course.
"We want to grow this site, and we want to take you with us. So, can you cut us a deal and help us out?" Heard that one all too often. How about you grow your site however you like and pay me for my time. Why is it people think web developers are charitable? :mad:

Why is it people think web developers are charitable? :mad:

Because they know if they look long enough, they'll find someone desperate for the work who will do it for next to nothing. That's why I got out of that racket. Loved the job, hated the work/clients.

Why is it people think web developers are charitable?
I think it comes down to how things are priced on the web.

(The following are just examples to make a point.)
You can find a company to host your website for less than $5/month. You can install and use WordPress for free. You can use a free theme or buy one for less than $50. There are hundreds of free plugins and add-ons.

Now, throw in sites like fiverr where you can pay someone to code a page or make a graphic for $5.

So when one throws out a quote for $50 or $100/hour, people are shocked and don't know how to respond. They try to plead and bargain, make promises for future work. It's a reaction.

Update: They caved and agreed to my pricing, which for the amount of work I've done I feel is more than reasonable. I've migrated their sites and as of yesterday their domains are pointed to my custom built CF server. As I've gone through the code to update minor compatibility issues between Adobe's CF engine and OpenBD's engine, I've come to the conclusion, imho, that I don't enjoy CF programming. Granted the "developer" of this program admitted he's not a programmer, lol, the CF code is just difficult to glance at and read compared to PHP, but it doesn't help being a mess of spaghetti code. For example, PHP I can open and immediately see the if's loop's switch's etc. CF everything is in tags like HTML so it appears less structured at first glance. And instead of != it's neq and other odd comparisons. It's just odd syntax to me, but that's programming in another language for you. However, I've managed and that aside OpenBD is running flawlessly. OpenBD doesn't have nearly as large of a community as PHP so finding help for rare issues is nill, so I've had to do some stumbling on my own which has dragged out this project, php issues you're almost guaranteed to find someone else out there that's ran into the same problem that's found a fix.

Anyways, CentOS and OpenBD! :D

Just a hold harmless due to the poor programming. Aside from that I don't really care if they leave, the work was more for my benefit than theirs.