Changing Root Password

gameutopia

I was wondering if anyone new the best way to change the root pasword? I want to have the same password or slight variation of it so I can remember it easy for all features such as billing at knownhost, virtuozzo, whm, ssh, etc.

I'm just wondering can all of this be changed easily or would I have to manually go into each and set the password.

One for sure that I'm not real certain about changing the password for is ssh. And possibly mysql.

It's not an urgent thing and I don't want to mess something up. I just like to change the root pass for security reasons from time to time.

Thanks.
gameutopia

Root password can be changed by the following command:

Code:
[FONT=&quot]passwd root[/FONT]

When you login to the VZPP your actual root password hash is being read from your VPS and compared to what you enter on the login page. i.e. when you change your root password by the above command, your virtuozzo password will change with it.

You billing account and your WHM login info are separate entities so you'll have to change those manually.

Regards,

Reusing your root password in multiple, unrelated places is pretty much never a good idea. That's like writing your address and license plate number on your keys and throwing them into an alley.

Hello Gamutopia,

There's a change root password applet in WHM. It will change your password for accessing WHM and root via SSH.

Although you really should disable root login via SSH. There are writeups on how to do this on the Cpanel forums.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Still working on all this.

khiltd:
Reusing root password in multiple areas is never a good idea? That is how knownhost set me up to begin with. Same password for everything including billing. And there was no mention or suggesting changing any from them.

Dan the Man:
Thanks for the tips. I'm still looking into it and will definately read up on it.

Thanks again.
gameutopia

khiltd:
Reusing root password in multiple areas is never a good idea? That is how knownhost set me up to begin with. Same password for everything including billing. And there was no mention or suggesting changing any from them.

You should immediately change any password you receive from anybody if it is transmitted via email or insecure web form. Important passwords should never be shared or re-used. These are simple facts of life in networking, regardless of whether they are explicitly repeated or not.

It's inconvenient and impractical for them to assign unique, secure passwords for everything under the sun, and since it ultimately gets emailed to you anyway, it would also be pointless since anyone along that messages' path would be able to read whatever they chose. With a VPS account, Knownhost's job is to keep your OS secure. While they're certainly more than willing to lend a hand with the management of said account whenever possible, everything else is ultimately your responsibility.