Changing ownership try SSH – HELP!

sumi

Hello, I have some little issues. The support team was great and help me once but I do not want to bother them all every time I have the issue. The problem is when my clients install new module/component/template in joomla and he can`t change ( edit ) the new folder and files because the Ownership ( User/Group ) are set to nobody instead of username of the CPanel account.
I can change the Ownership in Virtuozzo Control Panel but file by file and folder by folder so is going to take me a lot of time. I know the same think can be done try SSH but I do not know the command and the way how to change the Ownership. Can someone create a little tutorial with examples how I can change Ownership for groups of files and folders at once.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry about my English

Hello Sumi,

Pretty much only need one command to take care of it.

chown -R username:username /home/username/public_html

That will recursively own all files and directories in the public_html directory to the owner.

Question I have is how is he uploading these files so they aren't given the correct ownership to begin with?

Joomla is bad with ownership permissions. It is a common practice for the script to own files to nobody, so much so that a module was written for it just to allow users to edit these "nobody" owned files.