California vs Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Could you in plain English explain me what is the difference between those two centers? Why plan prices are the same while bandwidth is different?

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. This topic has been discussed a couple times in our forums. Please refer to this thread: http://forums.knownhost.com/showthread.php?t=422

But in general, besides geographical location,
We're using the following bandwidth providers:
- in Texas we use mix of InterNap and Level3;
- in California we have mix on Verio (NTT) and Cogent.

Historically quality of InterNap and Level3 was higher than, say, Cogent but this doesn't mean that Cogent is that bad. Latency might be a bit higher on routes coming through Cogent but there is no packet loss or anything like that. Also Verio has approximately the same level of bandwidth quality as InterNap/Level3, so the bandwidth mix we have in California allows to have good speeds and quality.

Thanks,
Joel

So Texas is for reliability while California for mass

THX for answer. So can I roughly interpret it in this way?

If I'm VERY concerned in reliability (I'm going to run some WebServices) and not a mass downloads it is better to choose Texas.

By the way do you have any clue which data center has better quality route to Europe? My trivial ping/traceroute test shows Dallas is better for me.

Bart

Bart,

Yes you are correct. If you do not require the extra bandwidth I would recommend our TX data center.

I would also say that our TX data center is better for Europe and your ping/traceroute test proves this.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. We look forward to doing business with you.

Thanks,
Joel

Will register next week

Thank you. I will then register the next week. I have still some question, if you know the answers I would be happy, if not I will just figure out myself during the first month of service.

1. Can I somewhere see the list of kernel options? I'm for example interested if ppp modules are compiled so I could set up a VPN connection to/from my VPS?
2. What is really installed with on the VPS at the beginnig? Do you have somewhere the list of packages included in "out of box" install?
3. Are there any limits for the numbers of processes runnig? I do not want to overuse the server, but just want to know. For example running tomcat or java itself tends to create a lot of processes when you issue ps command.

Bart

Bart,

Please see below. If you need detailed answers support would be your best option. Thanks.

1. Can I somewhere see the list of kernel options? I'm for example interested if ppp modules are compiled so I could set up a VPN connection to/from my VPS?

--We don't allow VPN at this time.

2. What is really installed with on the VPS at the beginnig? Do you have somewhere the list of packages included in "out of box" install?

--This depends on the control panel. If none then basically LAMP. Linux, Apacge, MySQL, and PHP.

3. Are there any limits for the numbers of processes runnig? I do not want to overuse the server, but just want to know. For example running tomcat or java itself tends to create a lot of processes when you issue ps command.

--Please talk with support on this one once you signup. As you know Java eats resources so this we would never recommend on any of our smaller VPS's.

Regards,
Joel

OK, let's try

Just signed in few minutes before. I know that Java is resource hungry, anyway I just want to start with basic plan to see around. Basic LAMP is ok with me, I do not like any panel as I really prefer shell commands over not knowing what's it doing panel.

I plan to test for 3-4 months and then launch a production server mainly for web-services.

I was really surprised, that you do not allow VPN's. My idea was to set iptables to allow certain services be visible only to addresses from private IP range. I was going to set a simple VPN just for secure access to the server by running pptpd daemon. From my perspective it was the sensible way of closing server services from potential attacker.

Bart

First day of Texas service.

After first day... I cannot say too much about the server as did not set up all yet, but your network... I'm really impressed. I had to download some packages like to install and the tranfer I got was... 10 MBit/second. Really reliable network. 60 Mb in 5 seconds. WOW. Also some test showed me good and very very stable parameters of the link.

I hope to stay a long years with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.