Best practices for new site to replace old

Bob

I'm in the process of negotiating an agreement to create a new WordPress site for a client whose current WordPress site is hosted here on KnownHost. What I'm looking for here is some advice on the best way to deal with this as well as what kind of support KH offers for this. About the only thing the client has been able to tell me is that he's paying $35/month so I'm guessing it's the VPS2 plan.

While I consider myself decently tech savvy, I'm smart enough to know what I don't know. I've created a bunch of WP sites but they've been original WP sites on host such as GoDaddy or Network Solutions (please spare me the lectures, for all the bad about them, one click migration of sites is not among them).

So, given the circumstance, what would the veterans here suggest? A subdomain here? Development server elsewhere? And when I'm ready to move the site, would you dump the old one all together and import the new one? [As an aside, I was planning on using All-in-One WP Migration.

This is not a huge site, maybe 20 pages and about 15 blog posts, but I want to be sure of what I'm getting myself into here.

Finally, this is my first post here. If it's in the wrong place, please feel free to move it. If you need more information from me, feel free to ask and thanks to all who can help me out here.

In cases like this we install another WordPress instance in a subfolder on their existing site, or create a new account on their VPS using a different domain. Once the new site is done and approved by the client you can take down their current site and migrate the development site using a backup/migration plugin.