I have reseller hosting and for the account in question I have CGI enabled.
Maybe you can help me if I posted MT's requirements?
Movable Type requires the following applications:
- Perl 5.6.1 or greater;
- A web server like Apache, or Windows IIS;
- Access to a database like MySQL, SQLite or Postgres;
- The following Perl modules:
I assume all these are available on Knownhost as they mention on MT forums that most hosting providers have them?
Anyways, here're the instructions for installing Movable Type (bolded are what I did):
Internal Server Error
- Use a Web browser to connect to the Movable Type Download page and follow instructions there to download the Unix/Linux/Mac OS X (.tar.gz) release file to your personal computer. (done)
- Extract the Movable Type files from the release file into a new folder on your local computer. You will need a program that can uncompress and extracts tar files. If you don't have such a program, you can learn how to get one on the gzip home page, http://www.gzip.org. (done)
- Start your FTP program and connect to your Web server using your server login name and password. (done)
- Copy the mt-static directory from your local computer to the Web root directory on the Web server. (done)
- Open the cgi-bin directory on your Web server. Make a new directory within it named mt. Copy all of the other Movable Type installation folders and files to the mt directory. (i assume this is the cgi-bin directory under public_html, done)
- Make sure all the Movable Type cgi files (files ending with .cgi) in the mt directory on the Web server have execute permission. You should be able to select these files and check their properties with your FTP program. (done)
- Make sure the support directory found within your mt-static directory is writable by your web server. (done)
- Start a Web browser and run the installation wizard by connecting to the following Web address: http://domainname/cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi where "domainname" is the domain name for your blog. and this is where it gives me the error posted below.
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, email@example.com
and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.