According to you, what are the most common mistakes done by Web Hosting Customers?

MiloTravers

We all have been at some point beginners.

So, according to you what are the biggest issues / challenges / mistakes faced by Web Hosting Customers?

What was your biggest issue / mistake when you started? Was it:
  • Breaking your website with plugins
  • Accidentally deleting content / files
  • Forgetting to keep your website updated
  • Letting your domain names expire
  • Forgetting login credentials
  • Adapting to growing business needs
  • Ensuring user friendly website design
  • Optimising your website’s speed
  • Using adequate security
  • Other? ...
Looking forward to read your feedback.

Please stay safe.
Milo.

I wish I started out using more CMS's, templates, and open source code when I started out. I use to have the mindset that it was like cheating or plagiarizing. I wanted all my code to be 100% original. Also for security and efficiency; I didn't want to use code from someone I didn't know and could make the code do only what was required and nothing else. But, after years of wasting time to create sites that I could have created in a tenth of the time, and would come out better, if I had only used something already available. I still prefer to keep my sites lightweight, using as few plugins and as little open source code as possible. If I need a site to do something, but all the plugins available do 10 other things that I don't need, if it's not going to take much time, I'll go with my code over someone else's code. I SMH when I see 30 plugins on a site and they are really only using 5 of them.

Wasn't exactly when I started out but my biggest mistake was when I was reorganizing a forum. I reused a forum for classifieds and moved a bunch of posts into it.....it had auto pruning enabled. That wasn't the major mistake. By the time I realized my mistake I had overwritten my one backup with new one.

I now have very robust backup policy for many years using automysqlbackup.