A query on DNS: Should I use custom name servers (KnownHost) or go for Cloudfare or Google

Which name server do you use?

• Google DNS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deboo

I finally chose KnownHost managed WP Hosting (the cheapest one) and my domain registrar is Google Domains with their own free DNS offering.
While people everywhere recommend Cloudfare for CDN, security, etc, doesn't Google offer something similar if not better? (I might be wrong, I'm completely new to everything and am learning everything as I go)

Since I don't know any better, I followed the default instructions sent by KnownHost to set up a custom name server, which I did. However my website scored only 76 on PageSpeed Insights with the following errors:
  • Reduce initial server response time
  • Avoid multiple page redirects
  • Reduce unused JavaScript
I know there's a lot of problems with my website so I'm focusing on optimization, starting with DNS providers.

So what's your advise?
Should I go for Google/Cloudfare DNS or just stay with cutom name server.
Feel free to comment on adding anything extra if you want.

The only issue I noticed when using custom nameserver like ns1.mydomain.com is that if the VPS goes down, e-mails may result to hard bounce with some email providers. This is a non-issue if you use a third-party DNS provider like Cloudflare, Namecheap or GoogleDomain.