A Domain question...

Jeren

Time Lord
So I'm not too proficient with handling DNS entries and what not. I want to forward irc.mydomain.net to a specific IP and port. How would I go about doing that? Thanks!

We do not allow any kind of IRC-related activity within any of our networks.

As for DNS - it is not possible to forward packets to some port using any kind of DNS entries. DNS stands for "domain name system" and can be used only to operate with "A", "MX", "TXT", "CNAME" and "PTR" type records. Neither record type carries any information about ports.

Regards,
Paul

Try this...

In WHM go down to the DNS section and click "Edit DNS Zone" and then click the domain you want to add the record to off to the right. Then, of course, click edit to go to the zone page and scroll to the bottom.

Under the Add New Entries Below this Line area, the first line should read like this once you've filled in the info.

{irc.domain.com} {14400} {IN} {A} {IRC Port IP ex. 1.2.3.4}

Then go into the cPanel of domain.com and click the subdomains section then add the irc.domain.com subdomain. Then setup a redirect for irc.domain.com to point to "http://IpHereEx1.2.3.4:pORT#Examp.6667" and then wait a few minutes for good propagation, then visit the subdomain.

However, the subdomain thing is most likely not necessary at all. If you make it go to that IP on port 6667 then that would mean you have a webpage (assumably IRC Server info) hosted there. In this case, you would add a vhost entry (which I believe is restricted on resellers in the first place) for irc.domain.com:6667. Once you add that first A record I mentioned in the top of this post, you should be able to connect to irc.domain.com on port 6667 (or whatever your IRC port is) through your IRC client. Any more questions, just ask.

-Caleb

We do not allow any kind of IRC-related activity within any of our networks.

As for DNS - it is not possible to forward packets to some port using any kind of DNS entries. DNS stands for "domain name system" and can be used only to operate with "A", "MX", "TXT", "CNAME" and "PTR" type records. Neither record type carries any information about ports.

Regards,
Paul

I'm not hosting any IRC software, so this doesn't violate the terms as far as I know. And I don't think I need to forward the specific port, but just point the subdomain.

Jeren,

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for misunderstanding. As Caleb mentioned you can add an "A" record for your subdomain on the WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone screen and point it to any IP you want.

Regards,
Paul

Jeren,

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for misunderstanding. As Caleb mentioned you can add an "A" record for your subdomain on the WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone screen and point it to any IP you want.

Regards,
Paul

Thats alright, Paul. It seems everyone assumes by IRC that you're hosting your own server or something with a persistant connection. While I'd love to do that (not here, but elsewhere), I think I'll just use what servers are out there already.

And the name is Jeren, not Jaren. ;)

Oh, I need to learn how to type slower and to double check myself before clicking on the post button ;)

Regards,
Paul

Try this...

In WHM go down to the DNS section and click "Edit DNS Zone" and then click the domain you want to add the record to off to the right. Then, of course, click edit to go to the zone page and scroll to the bottom.

Under the Add New Entries Below this Line area, the first line should read like this once you've filled in the info.

{irc.domain.com} {14400} {IN} {A} {IRC Port IP ex. 1.2.3.4}

Then go into the cPanel of domain.com and click the subdomains section then add the irc.domain.com subdomain. Then setup a redirect for irc.domain.com to point to "http://IpHereEx1.2.3.4:pORT#Examp.6667" and then wait a few minutes for good propagation, then visit the subdomain.

However, the subdomain thing is most likely not necessary at all. If you make it go to that IP on port 6667 then that would mean you have a webpage (assumably IRC Server info) hosted there. In this case, you would add a vhost entry (which I believe is restricted on resellers in the first place) for irc.domain.com:6667. Once you add that first A record I mentioned in the top of this post, you should be able to connect to irc.domain.com on port 6667 (or whatever your IRC port is) through your IRC client. Any more questions, just ask.

-Caleb

I tried just adding the A record and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

What part did not work?

If you successfully added the a record, then you should be able to ping the address, right? Is that working?

I might be wrong or confused, but I don't get the "subdomain" aspect of this. You are simply adding a host in the existing domain and you are providing name resolution for the FQN.

Once you have the irc.mydomain.net resolving correctly to the right address, you should be able to use your client software to connect to irc.mydomain.net:postwhatever?

(sheesh sorry its been a week since you replied)

It should't come back as that IP, should it? It should come back as the IP where the IRC software is running. I do the exact same thing for other things, not IRC though. Should not make any difference, we're only talking about getting your IRC.YOURDOMAIN.COM resolving correctly. until that happens, nothing else is going to work.

I'm not following all of the other instructions that people have given, but this is very easy. Lets say the IP address of the IRC server is 192.168.1.20 and your domain is YOURDOMAIN.COM.

1) Log in to WHM for your KnownHost domain account and click "Edit DNS Zone" in the "DNS Functions" menu on the left hand side.

2) Choose YOURDOMAIN.COM from the right-hand list and click the EDIT button.

3) On the bottom half of the page, you see a section titled "Add New Entries Below this Line" .... there is where you want to add an A RECORD. In the first box, type "irctest" (without the quotes) and do not modify the 14400 or "A" dropdown box. In the following empty box, type in 192.168.1.20 since that is the IP address you want IRCTEST.YOURDOMAIN.COM to resolve to.

4) Click the SAVE botton.

Depending on a number of factors, this should start resolving rather quickly ... YMMV of course. Use IRCTEST as the host for testing purposes so there is no confusion with the work you have already done with the IRC entry.

Once IRCTEST.YOURDOMAIN.COM resolved to the desired IP, you should be able to connect to that hostname with your IRC client, using the configured port. The port has nothing to do with your DNS zone tables AFAIK.

Good luck!

Thank you, SpotITC. Jeren - it you still have troubles with this, please PM me your domain name and hostname/IP you're trying to configure and I'll take a bit closer look.

Regards,
Paul

I've done as you posted, SpotITC. I'll wait a bit and try it out (I may wait until the morning since I'm quite tired right now). I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Looks like it worked... Thanks alot!