DNS and Newbie VPS questions

V

VPS Virgin

I'm considering switching to VPS because of problems I've encountered with my current reseller host on a shared server. But -- I am having some cold feet here because I feel a little like a hack when it comes to server administration.

I currently have a reseller account with around 12 sites, with not much traffic. The biggest problems I have are with my host's email servers; the outgoing smtp server was blacklisted for about a week last month (a spambot on one of my server neighbor's sites). That was painful. I'm tired of the shared hosting situation, although the fact that they are fully managed is nice.

My questions are:

1. I know very little about server maintenance or dealing with spambots, etc. -- am I going to be over my head getting a VPS account?

2. DNS has always been just a little confusing to me. I know how it works, but cannot really understand how to switch over to a new nameserver with no down time. Is there an easy way to understand this?

Thanks for any help.

I'm considering switching to VPS because of problems I've encountered with my current reseller host on a shared server. But -- I am having some cold feet here because I feel a little like a hack when it comes to server administration.

I currently have a reseller account with around 12 sites, with not much traffic. The biggest problems I have are with my host's email servers; the outgoing smtp server was blacklisted for about a week last month (a spambot on one of my server neighbor's sites). That was painful. I'm tired of the shared hosting situation, although the fact that they are fully managed is nice.

My questions are:

1. I know very little about server maintenance or dealing with spambots, etc. -- am I going to be over my head getting a VPS account?

2. DNS has always been just a little confusing to me. I know how it works, but cannot really understand how to switch over to a new nameserver with no down time. Is there an easy way to understand this?

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. I've included your questions below and answered each of them. Anything else you need let us know.

--As long as you order a control panel like cPanel we optimize the secure the VPS by default. If you want something like a firewall (CSF recommended) just ask our Support team and we will take care of it for free. We are your system admin team so we will assist with data migration (as long as the control panel is the same), setting up email accounts (basic), and more complicated things like installing firewalls or recompiling Apache for example. We have many clients switch from shared/reseller hosting and have have no issues with the move to a VPS as we're here 24/7 to assist you.

--You can't switch DNS without having DNS Propagation delays as this is just part of the process. So the approach is you signup for the VPS, you ask us to migrate your data (if control panel is the same), then you update your nameservers to the nameservers and IP's we include in your welcome email. We can help with this per request. It's best to just let your customers know your moving to a faster and new server and to expect some DNS Propagation delays (4-24 hours normally). There is no way around this but customers shouldn't mind when your doing this for a faster/better hosting experience.

Regards,
Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll probably be making a move in the next couple of days. My account is CPanel/WHM -- so it sounds like an easy migration.

VPS Virgin;
Toward the end of last year I was in the exact same boat as you. Actually worse, as I was on a shared account using Plesk and wanted to use cPanel with my new VPS. I had off and on problems with the shared host and wanted to move but was reluctant as I had 20 sites and was afraid of the problems I might face. A bad outage and an annual bill for another year of bad service convinced me that it was time to bite the bullet and move. I did extensive investigation and settled on KnowHost simply because of their stellar reputation. As it turned out the moves were simple and when I did hit a single glitch, KH was quick to bail me out even though they were not obligated since I was coming from a different control panel. The service has been fantastic and my only complaint is that I feel like such a dunce that I didn’t make the move long ago. KH does a fantastic job and is lightning fast with any support issues. From a very satisfied customer, I’d say don’t hesitate about making the move. You will find it’s the best decision you have made and will be much happier with the service KH provides.
WR

Thanks for the input, WRMercier. Very similar situations -- my yearly account is up for renewal and I've faced a disastrous outage recently. I'm finally motivated to move on. After a lot of research, I think VPS is the way to go -- and KnownHost seems to have a lot of happy customers.

VPS Virgin
VPS over Shared is definitely the way to go. Once you make the move you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner if like me, you’ve had problems with the Shared Hosting Service. With the Special that KH was running at the time I signed on it was pretty much an even swap for me to make the transition. I’m not a compensated cheerleader for KH. Just a happy customer. They definitely have taken to heart that good service is the way to getting and keeping customers. Trust me when I tell you that if they proved to be less then excellent I would be the first to bash them as well. Good luck with your hosting move. If you should have problems there are many in this forum including myself willing to offer help as well as the GREAT support dept at KH.
WR

VPS Virgin
They definitely have taken to heart that good service is the way to getting and keeping customers.
KnownHost's customer service almost has to be experienced. If you explain it to someone, they think you're trying to make a buck or covering something over. But it really is that good. From top to bottom, they take care of their customers.

I'm coming up on a 2-year anniversary with KnownHost and I'll be with them as long as they maintain their present business model.

Mike54
I'm in total agreement with you. KH stands out in the way they make sure their customers are treated and serviced.
WR

Echoing what everyone has said. KH is not your usual host, can't go wrong signing up here, not far from 2 years myself as well

I actually started on a reseller plan here. I had the same apprehension as you, VPS Virgin. Thankfully, KH Support was there to help me understand the VPS I upgraded to. It may seem daunting, but you've got their assistance to help you out, should you need it.

Like everyone else has said, you'll definitely enjoy working with KH.