FTP Issues

RSprinkel

Hi All,

Seems I am having trouble uploading to certain directories in sub-domains. I have tried to upload some images as well as zip files to a certain directory in a sub-domain and I am getting a "critical error" message when doing so, however I can upload the exact same files to the domain right above the sub-domain. Seems there is a toggle or something that I need to set to allow FTP'ing to sub-domains.

Any Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi LeMarque,

Well I set the Subdomain up via cPanel and I am the one who owns it, lol. Again I can upload to the actual subdomain, but any directories in that sub-domain I cannot upload too for some reason.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Ron S.

Howdy Ron,

I've never heard of anything like that and I'd probably shoot support a ticket and see what they said. Let us know what you find!

Well post back and let us know what the issue was. Sometimes support just fixes these things and without saying how or why ...

Hi LeMarque,

Well I set the Subdomain up via cPanel and I am the one who owns it, lol. Again I can upload to the actual subdomain, but any directories in that sub-domain I cannot upload too for some reason.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Ron S.

Just a quick update per LeMarque's request.

The issue with Joomla and an FTP client was that when setting up Joomla some folders are owned by "nobody" instead of the domain username. For instance if your domain username is "domainn" and you install Joomla some folders will be owned by "domainn" and child directories would be owned by "nobody" which is why Filezilla wouldn't access the child directories owned by "nobody"

Below is what was sent to me from Support:

Also directory /home/mydomain username/public_html/Community/components/com_fireboard/ and all its subdirectories are under the ownership of 'nobody'. Using filezilla/FTP, it is not possible to upload any contents to this directory. As PHP is compiled as apache module in the VPS, any type of file/image upload using Joomla will work only if the directory is owned by 'nobody'. So it is not recommended to change the ownership of these directories as it may cause problem with file upload using Joomla.

Now I went and asked support to change the ownership of a couple directories for me and they did and to date haven't had any issues at all. So so far I am lucky and keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps out the next person ;)