cPanel VPS Optimized

Status
Not open for further replies.
ppc,

It does work perfectly fine, at least I haven't heard anything else being broken. As per cPanelDavidG perl modules issue was resolved and this was pretty much the only common error.

Certificate expiration notifications is a very good feature in the long run. It just caused us a lot of headache as customers tend to forward anything new they see directly to support without even reading (or at least this sounds like that) the notification they've received. Typical question in such tickets was either "what is this?" or "do I need to do anything?". I guess it isn't a problem to handle such flow for providers with a dozen or so cPanel VPS/dedicated customers but such cool change may potentially result in 1000+ of tickets received within very short period of time which, in turn, may affect overall provider's support operations.

@ppc: If you want minimal problems, move to STABLE. What we are discussing here is on RELEASE only atm.

I really haven't had any problems. I did notice a few oddities with WHM in IE7 at first, but no big deal. As far as memory, I was able to set spamd up again and still get excellent memory usage.

@ppc: If you want minimal problems, move to STABLE. What we are discussing here is on RELEASE only atm.

I've always been at stable, just a lot of the new features in this release will be very useful for me. I was debating if I should switch to RELEASE but I want to make sure nothing will go haywire.

I'd love to know though if they have an ETA when this release will become stable.

Now that it looks like that Knownhost has updated to VPS Optimized, have you guys noticed any drop in speed or sluggishness?

I am experiencing sluggishness, ever since my VPS was updated to VPS Optimized, has any one else faced it?

As far as I'm aware, KH doesn't update your cPanel version for you, on your VPS...only on their reseller and shared servers. You must have updated it on your own. I believe all the builds are now VPS optimized.

In any event, no...haven't really noticed any sluggishness. Every now and then, things will slow down a tiny bit really late here at night (US Pacific Time) when the backups are running (CPU load goes up a bit), but that's about it. Blazing fast.

What is specifically sluggish for you?

I don’t remember updating to VPS optimized, though few days prior to the update, I had asked the support to install patches/updates for the installed software and at that time php, apache and few more things were updated.

Though a week or so later, I saw the cpanel had been updated and php (5.2.5 to 5.2.6), mysql (5.0.45 to 5.0.51) and apache (2.0.x to 2.2.x) had also been updated to latest build . Ever since then, memory consumption has slight increased for the same number of processes i.e. for 55 process running earlier, the vps used to consume 160-180MB of RAM, now it is using 180-200MB.

Also sometime the vBulletin forum that I run appears slightly sluggish. Though I started using datastore yesterday and that seems to have improved performance.

Now I don’t know whether kh techs updated the vps or it was set to automatic updates, but if they did it, I appreciate the fact that they did that because I like to run the latest version of all the software. However, I was wondering if it could be the case that since KH used to optimize CPanel build, the current VPS Optimized build consumes more memory then their optimized version.

Looks like it's time for Stable!

cPanel 11.23 STABLE is being released tonight 12:00AM CST to bring all of the cPanel / WHM branches to the 11.23 series.

This latest STABLE release incorporates a number of recently announced features including RoundCube webmail, SPF, Domain Keys, improved transfers, improved installs, SSL expiration warnings, and proxy subdomains which allow for users to access cPanel, webmail and WHM over port 80. STABLE also gets the much anticipated VPS Optimized and tailwatch features which reduce memory usage on all servers but especially on VPS systems. Other new features are also added such as mail filtering where users can now take advantage of a graphical folder selector for easy filter creation.

More information about the specific changes to the latest STABLE can be found at http://changelog.cpanel.net/. Notable 11.23 features are described in the following blog post: http://blog.cpanel.net/?p=51

Yogesh,

Funny...I have actually started experiencing some load issues now over the past 2 nights around the same time both nights (though last night was by far the worst), with some pretty bad slowdowns and pages timing out. Seems to be okay so far today. Anyway, Support tried telling me that my SpamAssassin resource usage was high, and this is what was causing the slowdowns and load. Ummmmm...no. Anyway, to humor them, I completely disabled SA, and while my memory usage dropped by about 10% (I'm only using 30%), the server loads and slowdown issues persisted, with absolutely no noticeable change in load or loadtimes.

Just curious what server you're on.

I am on VZ44 and I don't use spam assassin, while the traffic for my sites has increased somewhat, I am not quite sure if it alone is responsible for more ram consumption.

Could the switch from Apache 2.0.6x to 2.2.x cause this?

I am on VZ44 and I don't use spam assassin, while the traffic for my sites has increased somewhat, I am not quite sure if it alone is responsible for more ram consumption.

Could the switch from Apache 2.0.6x to 2.2.x cause this?

Hmmmmm. Okay. Yeah, I'm on a different server (VZ01 in the new datacenter). Just thought we might have been on the same server or such. I'm still running 2.0.6x for Apache.

Thanks Yogesh. Yeah, I tried that too at the time and there was no difference really. Memory usage went up a little, but then just stabilized right back where it usually sits (~30% usage). The load didn't change. The server is fine now, and has been ever since that night. There was obviously something going on with the server, but the only thing Support could tell me was that it was my SA usage...even after I told them that wasn't the problem at all.

Ah well. Everything is back to running exactly how it should be...blazing fast as it has been all except maybe 3 days in the past couple years. :D Hopefully it'll stay that way.

There was obviously something going on with the server, but the only thing Support could tell me was that it was my SA usage...even after I told them that wasn't the problem at all.

Bryan

I think you're on the same server as me - to clarify, I'm on vz01-la.privatesystems.net

I too have lodged support tickets and I was told the problem isn't the server, even though both of my VPS's spiked at exactly the same time. Both my VPS's that are on that server spike at exactly the same time, so I can't see how it could be related to anything VPS specific. I've got graphs to show the times they spiked.

Having said that, the server has been pretty good for a couple of days.

Pmcwebs, yep! That's exactly the server I'm on. Support told me exactly the same thing...nothing wrong with the server; has to be on your end. That's just not the case at all.

But as you said, things have been phenomenal again for the past couple days. I've only had a very tiny handful of load problems over the past couple years, so as long as they stay away, I'll be happy. :)

Pmcwebs,

I'm dying to know if you had a problem about an hour ago. Everything quit on me. The only chance I was able to look at the server. the load was 11.67. Then everything completely died. Email (send and receive) all timed out, as did SSH, VZ, WHM, cPanel, all web pages, etc.

I'm dying to know what is causing these unacceptable load spikes on the server.

After tonight's, Support told me:

We have checked your server and we could see lot of 'cpsrvd-ssl' services which were consuming more memory in the server. From the thread 'http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=75197&highlight=cpsrvd-ssl', you can see that, some of the cPanel versions are having this bug. So, we have updated the cPanel of your VPS to get all latest fixes.

Now the server load and resource usage are quite normal.

I'm really starting to lose faith in the support folk. First spamassassin, now this? They checked the server after loads had already dropped, and cpsrvd-ssl isn't miraculously going to cause a jump from 0.00 to over 11.00 in about 5 minutes. Not happening.

Pmcwebs,

I'm dying to know if you had a problem about an hour ago. Everything quit on me. The only chance I was able to look at the server. the load was 11.67. Then everything completely died. Email (send and receive) all timed out, as did SSH, VZ, WHM, cPanel, all web pages, etc.

Bryan

Your post was made (according to my Australian EST timestamp) at 6:02 pm. You refer to 'about an hour ago' which would make the server issue about 5 pm, 5th July, 2008.

I have got 2 VPS's running on this server, and below I've listed the corresponding graphs for 5th July.

Yes I can confirm (as you will too no doubt) that at 5:00 pm there most definitely was a server issue. I have got about 10 - 15 corresponding graphs over the last 14 days, where both VPS's on that server have spiked for no reason.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.pmcwebs.com.au/tmp/50708a.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.pmcwebs.com.au/tmp/50708b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.