cPanel VPS Optimized

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwhit73

I got an update e-mail from cPanel about a new cPanel VPS optimized. Has anyone heard about this or know anything about this. Link here.

I fail to see how anyone--whether they have a VPS account or not--would fail to benefit from a less resource intensive cPanel. The marketing makes no sense, but here's hoping it delivers.

I don't get it either. Is this a new product? It just says that it will eventually make it out to the build tree.

Any of the KH guys have some inside info on this?

I don't get it either. Is this a new product? It just says that it will eventually make it out to the build tree.

It has been rolled out in the EDGE release of Cpanel as of about 2 weeks ago. I'm running EDGE on 2 of my servers and there is a significant memory usage reduction, at a rough guesstimate, I'd say about 10 - 15 % reduction.

I'm in the new LA datacentre and things are rocking along the best they ever have.

Pete

It has been rolled out in the EDGE release of Cpanel as of about 2 weeks ago. I'm running EDGE on 2 of my servers and there is a significant memory usage reduction, at a rough guesstimate, I'd say about 10 - 15 % reduction.

I'm in the new LA datacentre and things are rocking along the best they ever have.

Pete

Pete,

So performance wise things are as they have been and yet it's using less resources?

The email I received said up to 60% less memory usage but hey, take it where you can get it!

So is the VPS version another option in updates or do you just automatically get it?

Pete,

So performance wise things are as they have been and yet it's using less resources?

The email I received said up to 60% less memory usage but hey, take it where you can get it!

So is the VPS version another option in updates or do you just automatically get it?

I automatically got it when I did a cpanel update (EDGE Tree). There are less resources used. I can't say that performance is any better, but only on the basis that the VPS was running great beforehand. I would presume that if performance of the VPS had been marginal due to memory issues, this update would certainly help.

At the minimum it has given me a lot more breathing space in relation to not maxing out memory.

Pete

As KH Paul reminded me, Knownhost will not support cPanel installations running the edge updates so upgrade now at your own risk.

I fail to see how anyone--whether they have a VPS account or not--would fail to benefit from a less resource intensive cPanel. The marketing makes no sense, but here's hoping it delivers.

How are they marketing it?

Regards,

pmcwebs,

cPanel VPS Optimized is currently delivered through the possible unstable EDGE tree which isn't intended for production use and, in general, shouldn't be used anywhere except test and development systems and/or in rare cases when business critical update was included into the EDGE build.
Our past experience shows that EDGE builds contains countless number of bugs and may cause issues starting from stability to complete service unavailability. We aren’t really in position to act like a proxy between EDGE build users and cPanel support to deliver possible problem reports to the cPanel team. By saying that anyone welcome to use the EDGE tree as long as person who is using it knows that he/she is doing and how to deal with possible issues.
On production systems STABLE and RELEASE builds should be used, not the EDGE one. We would encourage everybody to wait a bit and allow others to iron out possible issues in the cPanel build which is currently distributed through the EDGE tree. And, in general, our support will suggest to downgrade back from EDGE in case if problems are reported and EDGE build is found to be running on the VPS.

Regards,
Paul

Not knowing anything about the actual product, but it may have something to do with betting handling the differences between the node's physical resources and each virtual server's virtual resources.

Just a thought.

I tested out cPanel optimized on a test VPS and found that my RAM usage went down from ~240 Mb usage to just 60 Mb usage! :)

This is simply amazing but as I am sure everyone is wondering...what's the trade off? You don't get a reduction like that without sacrificing something!

And if you do then why in the world wouldn't they simply enable such optimizations into every build?

This is simply amazing but as I am sure everyone is wondering...what's the trade off? You don't get a reduction like that without sacrificing something!

You do if your code is as un-audited as cPanel's tends to be.

I suspect that the prevalence of VPS services has simply called more attention to the ridiculous amount of bloat in the current day cPanel package; customers of oversold shared hosting simply never saw all the ugliness lurking behind the curtain, so they never complained, and cPanel got away with murder for over a decade. Odds are good that "cPanel VPS Optimized" really means "embarrassment finally drove us to hire some competent engineers to refactor our awful legacy code."

You do if your code is as un-audited as cPanel's tends to be.

I suspect that the prevalence of VPS services has simply called more attention to the ridiculous amount of bloat in the current day cPanel package; customers of oversold shared hosting simply never saw all the ugliness lurking behind the curtain, so they never complained, and cPanel got away with murder for over a decade. Odds are good that "cPanel VPS Optimized" really means "embarrassment finally drove us to hire some competent engineers to refactor our awful legacy code."

LMAO gotta respect a guy that says it like it is. When it's not directed at me anyways :D

I'd expect to see some of these optimizations being rolled into the other builds as well then as I am sure that everyone's going to be raising an uproar. I know I would be.

Looking forward to seeing this build make it to stable!

I don't think we will actually need it, just got my vps and when I ran top command through ssh (first time in my life :D) I got the following results:

Mem: 393216k total, 64584k used, 328632k free, 0k buffers

Now this is a Cpanel VPS with no sites on currently but all the usual stuff installed (spamassassin disabled and spamd service disabled as well). So even if Cpanel claims it uses only 90mb, that is still higher than what knownhost can tweak out!

I may look at upgrading quickly to this cPanel version to see what effects (if any) it has on an ASO VPS. Will post back if/when I do this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.